The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2018, 09:29 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

Colt 1861 Navy questions?

I have a pair of Colt 1861 Navy revolvers that I would like to use in Cowboy Action Shooting. One is a 2nd generation Colt and the other a 3rd generation. I understand that both of these guns followed similar (not the same) paths, from Uberti parts, to assembly and finishing in the USA. The Gen2 looks "antique", with a duller blued finish and a silvered grip-frame, while the Gen3 looks "new", with a deeper blue finish and gold inlayed Colt signature on the backstrap.

Who are some good gunsmiths who could tune-up my Navies for CAS?

The triggers in both revolvers are located kinda far forward within their trigger-guards. Compared to my Gen2 Single Action Army .45 Colt, which has it's trigger located as far to the rear as practical, there's not a lot of finger room inside the trigger guards of the Navies.

Could a good gunsmith "bend", or otherwise relocate the triggers further back?

The Gen3 Navy has cutouts in it's recoil shield and extra large screw heads on the side of the frame, in order to attach a shoulder stock. The cutouts just look odd, but, the screw heads actually rub on my trigger finger. Not sure if I should just remove the screws, or trade this Gen3 for another Gen2?

I would probably keep it, if I could find a matching shoulder stock. But, the only shoulder stocks that I can find were made by EMF for an 1851 (not 1861) Navy, and are listed as not for use on Uberti or Colt made revolvers.

Did Uberti (or anyone else) make a shoulder stock for the Colt 1861 Navy?

Thanx, Dave.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:02 AM   #2
AKexpat

Pietta makes one for their 1851 Navy, but it should fit the 1861. Dixie has them:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...roduct_id/6617

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 19, 2018, 07:14 PM   #3
BluRidgDav

Thanx AK!

But, this stock connects to a replacement hammer screw, which is one of the three screws that are already on the side of any Colt revolver.
Whereas my 1861 has "extra 4th screw-heads" located next to the other three screws. So, the connecting point for this stock will be slightly off.