The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Tinstain Plated Brass Cases

I was looking around at budsgunshop, and noticed Tinstained LC 5.56 loaded ammo. I have not heard of this "Tinstained plated brass".
My question is why? And how does it compare to nickle plated. Follow the link for picture of it. $6 per 20 in the 600 pack. They have brass cased ammo that appears otherwise the same for $2 more per 600 (does not specify LC).
"This is a 55gr full metal jacket with boat tail projectile (lead core) is loaded to SAAMI specifications in a new Lake City "Tinstain" plated brass cartridge that is boxer primed. These high-quality components make this ammo consistent and reliable. Velocity: 3200FPS in a 20" Barrel"
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+55GR+600+Pack

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 16, 2019 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Add similar brass cased $2 more
Old October 17, 2019, 08:26 AM   #2
buck460XVR

From my understanding it is ammo using surplus L.C. "proof" load brass. One reason you can find little or nothing on the internet about it, even tho it's been around for a while.
Old October 17, 2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Marco Califo

The description says new brass. I do not think anyone would use fired proof load brass to sell remain ammo. But IDK, saving $2 . . .
Old October 17, 2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Hammerhead

What's the purpose of the tin?
Doesn't seem like it would be slick like nickle.
Old October 17, 2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Bart B.

Arsenal proof loads used "stannic" stained brass cases for proof loads to identify them by their aluminium bluish color. Live proof loads were nicknamed "blue pills."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bWyPlkNPjGy_7h

If their head stamp is the arsenal's, they may be rejects or surplus sold to retailers.

I've shot several dozen 7.62 NATO proof loads in Garands. Inspecting the fired cases revealed nothing to make me not want to reload them.

Nickle plated cases are slippery enough to enable their shoulders to set back more from firing pin impact. My 308 Win nickle plated case shoulders set back 2 to 3 thousandths more than naked brass ones. Such is life when a 2.5 ounce pin pushed by 26 pounds of spring force moving 18 fps strikes the primer with the case pressed against the chamber shoulder.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 17, 2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old October 17, 2019, 12:06 PM   #6
mikld

I tried to find some more info on the Legend "Tinstain" cases, but mostly get the Bud's ad and no real info. Is Legend a manufacturer or remanufacturer? Perhaps they got some surplus unfired cases?
Old October 17, 2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Marco Califo

Legend seems to be a bulk ammo manufacture at low price point. There is discussion of what cases they use (all new). May or may not be LC in 7.62. I have heard nothing bad. But it is bulk cheap ammo. Not match grade. I have not bought any yet. I would have bought a case of 7.62, but could not get confirmation it would be in New LC. Some one responded global sourcing and GD, GBW? LC for some lots.
I have only seen Legend ammo for sale at Bud's, but have not search for it

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 17, 2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Bird's only?
Old October 17, 2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Bart B.

"Ledend" also appears to be a cartridge name; 350 Legend, for example

Lake City has made 5.56 aluminum cases. Copied this from a "5.56 aluminum case" search.

Quote:
https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net › ...PDF
Web results
5.56 mm Aluminum & .50 Caliber Steel Case Development

by C Miller
A premier aerospace and defense company. 5.56 mm Aluminum & .50 Caliber Steel. Case Development. Presented to: NDIA Joint Armaments Conference. Christian Miller. ATK Lake City Ammunition. OSR Approval ...
20 pages·632 KB
More discussion in ....

https://m14forum.com/ammunition/4869...mmunition.html

Corrected spelling

Last edited by Bart B.; October 17, 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old October 17, 2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Marco Califo

"Legend" spelled as the word Legend is what Bud's is selling. I have heard of the 350 Legend cartridge, however spelled. But I think the bulk ammo has nothing yo do with the 350 cartridge. I only see 5.56 and 7.62, and 9mm on Buds. I just notice they are selling 380 ACP now too. Looks like it only comes in clear plastic bags, and a cardboard box for the bag in 1000 units.
Old October 18, 2019, 10:15 AM   #10
mikld

My research has shown much the same as Mr. Califo, which isn't a lot (I hope Mr. Califo's location is Louisiana and not Los Angeles . I escaped LA 10 years ago)....
Old October 18, 2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Marco Califo

I will take beaches, mountains, and perfect weather over that Muddy Mess east of Texas any day.
Old October 18, 2019, 07:23 PM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
The description says new brass. I do not think anyone would use fired proof load brass to sell remain ammo. But IDK, saving $2 . . .
Again, my understanding is, it was new, surplus(not necessarily military) proof load, brass. Why or how L.C. ended up with a large enough amount of left over proof brass to sell for commercially loaded brass, I don't know, but that is the type of brass that is used normally for proof loads.

sur·plus
/ˈsərpləs/

noun: surplus; plural noun: surpluses

an amount of something left over when requirements have been met; an excess of production or supply over demand.

adjective
adjective: surplus

more than what is needed or used; excess.
Old October 18, 2019, 08:49 PM   #13
Marco Califo

LC is operated by Alliant/Federal/Speer/CCI Group on contract for Army. LC brass, unfired is regularly for sale at Midsouth Shooters Supply. It can be commercial overrun to put excess capacity to use. I bought new 556 LC and think it is great $50 for 250. I would like to see 7.62 new, but bought some pull down LC18.
Tinstainwd brass may be used for proof loads. It can be new, over run. Cheaper to make large lots, sell the excess.
So it may be exactly what they say.
Old October 26, 2019, 05:40 PM   #14
Marco Califo

From the Horse's Mouth

Bud's Q&A answered my Question:
Tin Stain brass is not generally available. I hear it is used for \"proof\" loads. This is new? Why did it come on market? LC produced excess proof brass?
"Mark, You are correct about LC using the Tinstain Brass for proof loads. This is so they can visually see the proof rounds. Legends uses this item in their bulk production from excess inventory proof brass at LC. So yes LC must have excess proof brass and uses it on bulk ammo production to get new Tinstain Brass for proof rounds."
I think the last 8 words are wrong and unneeded, as these are NOT proof loads. They are typical loads, in proof brass.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/communit...What+is+it+for

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 26, 2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: edit for clarity, add link, title
Old October 29, 2019, 10:02 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. The slightly bluish hue the tin plating can take on causes the proof loads to be referred to as "blue pills". It's a strange practice to put normal loads in them as if they were nickel cases.

I noticed Hornady is now selling XM193 in their Frontier line. The description at Midway says it is made by Lake City, same as the Federal XM193 and XM855. My guess is that in order to keep that plant's operation economical, they are using excess capacity for the commercial market. If we got into another large shooting war like Iraq, that would dry up until military demand dropped off.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Tags
223 , 5.56 , brass , tinstain