The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 16, 2018, 01:42 PM   #1
foolzrushn

herons tohjo single shot rifle?

A friend showed me a phone picture of an old single shot rifle that his Dad had. It was difficult to make out the marking on the side of the barrel from the picture.

It had a long barrel like a goose gun, but he said it was a rifle. The pictures only were taken from the side and appear to show a spur hammer on the right side of the action.

From what I could tell from the phone pictures, taken in poor light (basement), the marking on the side of the barrel was “herons tohjo”. Really the pictures were not the best, so it could be anything close to that.

He is putting it in an estate sale and if it has real value, I’m sure that the folks running the sale won’t know that.

Any ideas on how old or value? I know this is very little to go on. I didn’t even see the business end so can not guess the caliber.

Thanks for any comments.

foolzrushn

certified 'soap welder'
Old July 28, 2018, 02:52 PM   #2
foolzrushn

OK, got a look at the rifle. Turns out to be a Danish Krag model M89 1914. It’s 8mm x 58R with a 33” barrel. Bayonet lug, sling swivels.

I couldn’t make out the Danish lettering on the photo he took. Barrel is marked Haerens Tojhus (close in English letters) above M89.

So mystery solved I guess.

certified 'soap welder'
Old July 30, 2018, 11:27 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...with a 33” barrel..." Lotta military thinking 100 years ago was still thinking in terms of BP. BO needs long barrels.
Value of the thing depends on the condition.

Tags
herons , tohjo