The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2001, 01:54 PM   #1
speed

best folding stock

Is there any sort of agreement among forumites on which brand or type of folding stock is the best ?

I need one for a mossberg 500 and would like your opinions.

Are they reliable?,hard to get used to?,or are they just another gadget?

thanks
Old October 26, 2001, 02:00 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The early Rem folders cut a lot of cheeks. MOst of the others have smaller butts and worse pads than the standard stocks, so recoil sensitive people have a wonderful opportunity to build a realy good flinch in record time.

(Sarcasm mode off)....

Most folks find it harder to shoot a folder well, tho some do wondrous work,eventually. Unless your requirements include extreme compactness while traveling, I'd stick with the standard stock.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:02 PM   #3
9mmMike

I do not like folders but I do like the quality of Choate brand products. I think that they make a side folder that is popular.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 26, 2001, 02:04 PM   #4
krept

I checked out a Remington top folder over the weekend - yikes. I can see what everyone was talking about, seems to be very, er... spartan.

the Choate top folders look a little more comfy, if you will:

http://www.uws.com/CHOATE/IMG/tfs.gif
Old October 26, 2001, 05:03 PM   #5
Apeach

I saw a nice side folding stock on www.bushmaster.com just look under their shotgun accessories. It's the one patterned after the Galil stock, and it looks fairly comfortable. Large stock area, and you could get a regular recoil pad for it (I think). That'd be the one that I'd choose if I needed to get one.
Old October 26, 2001, 06:03 PM   #6
scouter27

The only side folder I say at bushmaster was the choate. It already has a recoil pad. Did you see another?
Old October 26, 2001, 08:19 PM   #7
LorenzoSD

If youuse a PG shotgun it is nice to have the option of the stock especially if you have ever tried to do an aimed shot with a pg shotgun. If you have a Rem. I would go for the Advanced Tech. Topfolder they recently came out with I have never really liked side folders I do have one on my SKS and it doesnt take long to get used to unfolding it quickly with a little practice.
Old October 26, 2001, 10:40 PM   #8
Apeach

Huh, it's not there. Well, I thought it was. But I do remember seeing something like what I described somewhere. It looked like a good folding stock. I guess I'm just losing my memory.
Old October 28, 2001, 06:27 AM   #9
urban assault

Had a SpeedFeed pistol grip stock. Swapped it out for an ATI top folder setup. General workmanship seems okay, but I did need to use my Dremel tool to grind a tiny portion a nylon away from the stock lock-up catch, for it to click snugly into place. Not really a problem. The main reason I bought this stock is because it has an unconditional lifetime warranty. If it breaks, send it back. I like that alot. I can be hard on equiptment and If it breaks, its nice to know I have some recourse. There is a 5 shot shell holder on the folding stock as well. I am waiting for a Portland gun show to come up this next month, so that I can get the ATI vertical foregrip. This foregrip has the ability to hold a surefire or mini-maglight in the bottom of its well. I havent fired my shotgun with the new stock on it yet, so i cant comment on how comfortable it is but the smaller space needed for the weapon is very handy.

michael
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife... And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - Gladiator

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone