The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2015, 11:33 PM   #1
armoredman

Found an oddball case at the range

One single lonely 22 TCM empty brass...had to look it up, never heard of it. Next to it was another one-of...one single case of 7.62 Tokarev, Boxer primed reloadable brass. Just found it kind of funny.

Of course, the mounds of .308, 40SW and 9mm brass that same kind fellow left for me made it a good day, even before the first round was fired.
Old January 6, 2015, 03:10 AM   #2
chris in va

That is unusual, can't say as I've ever seen one either.

I found a couple 7.62x39 'impostors' today when scrounging. 6.8 SPC. So now this in addition to the 300 Blackout I have to say, "oh there's one...never mind".

I can't stop shooting this CZ Carbine. My brass is getting pretty beat up. I'm seriously considering selling my AR just so I can get the 527 in 5.56 and not have to worry about hunting down elusive brass x39. The AR just doesn't have the same feel.
Old January 6, 2015, 03:28 AM   #3
Jim243

Chris, I know your pain. When I started shooting the 7.62 X 39 I purchased 200 rounds of loaded ammo just to get the brass to reload.

At $0.50 cents a case (loaded) it seems like a lot but you should be able to get 10 to 15 reloads out of each case.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/295...m_vc=OBv295405

Always chase down your brass or get a catcher to save the exercise (LOL).

Good luck and stay safe.

Jim
Old January 6, 2015, 04:00 AM   #4
chris in va

I just shuck the case out on the table every time I fire. Makes it more of a challenge hitting that steel at 100 yards I suppose.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:04 PM   #5
armoredman

Steel at 100 yards is what my 527M loves, and I shoot on a wide open range so I can hunt down the brass. Have a big baggie of ready-to-be-processed 7.62x39mm brass...but I need some more, as I will always lose one or two every session, damage or loss.
It was just funny to find that little weird brass, looked like a necked down 38 Super.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

The couple you lose are a sacrifice to the range gods. For the superstitious, it's supposed to keep them from causing you other problems. If you ever find all your cases you are supposed either to start acting paranoid, or to conclude the range gods already had their fill that day.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 6, 2015, 03:20 PM   #7
chris in va

22 TCM. You're not kidding, that is a weird one.

Old January 6, 2015, 03:27 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
One single lonely 22 TCM empty brass...had to look it up, never heard of it. Next to it was another one-of...one single case of 7.62 Tokarev, Boxer primed reloadable brass. Just found it kind of funny
I've got a half dozen of both of those. Range pickup oddities.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "