The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Clyde

Rumormill: Hornady Suspending products

Hello out there,
I have recently heard that Hornady will be suspending production of some 150 bullets and ammunition for the remainder of 2013. Has anyone else heard that or have additional information?
Old July 7, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
mehavey

See:

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/ind...oduction-list/

(especially the pdf download attachments in first post/shown as on Hornady letterhead )

If a hoax, it is a remarkably deliberate/elaborate one....

Last edited by mehavey; July 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old July 7, 2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Clyde

Well that is certainly a tough pill to swallow! There are several of my favorites on those lists. I sure hope none of the other manufacturers get the same idea!
Old July 7, 2013, 01:48 AM   #4
steveno

it was my understanding that they have used their production schedules for bullets to be used for ammo for the time being. I do know that they moved some bullet machines to some other locations in the area which I take to mean to keep up with production
Old July 7, 2013, 01:53 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Two things:

1. Hornady, like every other manufacturer out there, runs what they can, when they can. It isn't surprising when a manufacturer decides to skip a few lower demand products for an amount of time, in favor of continuing production of their highest demand products.

2. That list includes many of their best selling bullets and ammunition. If it's real, they're having MAJOR issues sourcing materials for production. To me, that list screams "supply issues", not a lack of production capacity.

...Keep your bovine excrement deflectors handy. This one doesn't smell right.

Oh, and, directly from Hornady:
Quote:
A Word on Availability
The current political climate has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products, including ours. Empty retail shelves, long backorders, and exaggerated price increases on online auction sites – all fueled by rumors and conjecture – have amplified concerns about the availability of ammunition and firearms-related items.

If the information you hear doesn’t originate from Hornady Manufacturing, don’t believe it.

Here are some of rumors we’ve heard, and questions we’ve received:

Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop?
Not at all.
Did you stop selling bullets so you could only make loaded ammunition?
Absolutely not.
Since we can’t find your product you must be selling it all to the government.
Nope, less than 5% of our sales are to government entities.
Why can’t you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines?
We’ve been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We’ve added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible. If there is any question about that – please take a tour of the factory. You’ll be amazed at what you see.
We are producing as much as we can; much more than last year, which was a lot more than the year before, etc. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

We appreciate everyone’s understanding and patience. We don’t know when the situation will improve, so please bear with us a little longer. And remember, when it comes to Hornady Manufacturing, if you don’t hear it from us, please don’t believe it.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:55 AM   #6
MEATSAW

I really don't buy it. I would find it hard to believe they would be suspending all those super popular .224" bullets.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Farmland

Not the first time a rumor like this has come out for Hornady. It was just a few months ago a very similar one was floating around the web for Hornady.

To me it is not fact until Hornady posts a new release on their web site or Facebook site.

I will say this one caught fired and has spread faster than most. However since it is dated 7-2-13 I find it hard to believe that 5 days would go by and nothing has been posted on any official Hornady site.

So like they said if you don't hear it from them then it is a rumor. Thus I'm not going to get excited until something shows up on their web site.
Old July 7, 2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Dan Newberry

I'm registered with Hornady's media release account... nothing there.

It's possible this was a release intended only for wholesale vendors, but then why would it address the reader as "customer"?
Old July 7, 2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can't say that it is or isn't true but it sure smells funny. They're going to stop making over 150 products? What's that leave, like 4 more? Exaggeration, yes, but that's got to be 1/2 of their product line.

In 22 caliber (.224) bullets, for example, they make 41 varieties and there's 22 on the discontinued list? They're going to cease production of over 1/2 their 224 bullets? The same is true of .308 bullet. They make 48 and 24 are listed.

It might be true but it's seems odd. The timing is especially so. The "madness" is dying down and has been for weeks. Why now?
Old July 7, 2013, 10:01 AM   #10
HiBC

Whether its fact;Who knows? I don't.

If its true,whether I like it or not,I can understand it.

Triage.

I shoot a .257.Looks like they are not making .257 bullets.Oh well,I shoot Noslers anyway.But for every .257 shooter there are 10,at least,6mm shooters.

Time spent changing over tooling makes no bullets.And,after changeover,then quality has to be checked,verified,adjusted.

All non-value added time.

If Hornady picks the SKU's with the highest demand volume,and runs them ,long batch,they can make more millions of bullets.

A .224 75 gr A-max will not fit an AR mag,and the 75 gr bthp Match will.

You can please all of the people some of the time,some of the people all the time,but you can't please all the people all the time.

They make money selling bullets.Its a plan to make more bullets.

Brian,I do not think they are going to cease production on over half their bullets,what if 125 of their 250 products ,50% of the SKU's,only account for 15 % of demand?Yet 50% of total setup time.

Think about pizza.

Last edited by HiBC; July 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
chiefr

Concur with Brian
I can't speak for HDY, but I can speak for the other large bullet manufacturer I will call brand X. Demand is the key. As anyone can figure out, .223 bullets are number one in demand, then the .308s
Other bullets are made in batches maybe once a year, Like .303, .323 etc.
The current frenzy has already taken its toll on the low demand bullets. I have been assured none of brand X companies bullets have been dicontinued

Most bullet and ammo manufacturers are running 24/7 to fill unprecedented demands.

Anyone seen Elvis lately?
Old July 7, 2013, 11:09 PM   #12
bfoosh006

TURNS OUT THIS IS A FAKE !!!!

Its the internet, believe this or the fax.... your choice.

Photo from the CMP forum.

Last edited by bfoosh006; July 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:48 PM   #13
bfoosh006

Just spoke to Hornady, it is true ! While I can't confirm the list, I was told it is going to happen and they will e-mail me the list.

I was fooled by a letter on the CMP forums into thinking this was false..... ( I'm the "Sucker born every minute... ")

Hornady CS 1-800-338-3220
Old July 8, 2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"but then why would it address the reader as "customer"?"

Because a wholesale vendor IS a Hornady customer. Hornady doesn't have its own distribution network.

That letter from Steve Hornady is also interesting...

He says they're not cutting ammunition.

It says nothing about components...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Whisper 300

If it is a fake it is a good one as the Bulletin Page on Accurate Reloading/6mmBR just posted the letter and all 10 pages of suspended items.

Now we need to wait and see if it is a very good?? hoax or the real skinny.

Gary
Old July 8, 2013, 02:50 PM   #16
serf 'rett

What makes the 7/7 letter interesting is the 7/2 notice stated they were cutting components AND AMMO.

Streamlining production makes sense.

bfoosh006 - Hope you can post the list for our enjoyment, edification or angst.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:03 PM   #17
jwrowland77

I think there were just 2 items on it that I was wanting to try in my 7mm RM but that was it.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:12 PM   #18
Beentown71

I can see it. The ones listed have to be quite a bit less "desirable" by the general reloading public. They are just playing catch up and dropping the not so popular selections in a line can open up production for high request items.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old July 8, 2013, 03:19 PM   #19
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentown71 View Post
I can see it. The ones listed have to be quite a bit less "desirable" by the general reloading public. They are just playing catch up and dropping the not so popular selections in a line can open up production for high request items.
That's what I'm thinking. Raising production in lines that sell good, suspending production in lines that don't ....makes good business sense. Lowers scrap, raises capital gain.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Kimber84

They all specifically state "ammo", so if it is true this is loaded ammo only from what I gather??... I know the 150g SST'S I use do not match the 308 PN on that list. If that's the case then it sounds like they're continuing bullet production and ceasing ammo??

Maybe this is mingled in to earlier posts somewhere and I apologize if I missed it.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:23 PM   #21
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber84 View Post
They all specifically state "ammo", so if it is true this is loaded ammo only from what I gather??... I know the 150g SST'S I use do not match the 308 PN on that list. If that's the case then it sounds like they're continuing bullet production and ceasing ammo??

Maybe this is mingled in to earlier posts somewhere and I apologize if I missed it.
Both. At 6mmbr, they had lists for bullets and ammo.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrowland77 View Post
Both. At 6mmbr, they had lists for bullets and ammo.
Ah, gotcha... I was having to fight my phone to flip that scan to where I could read it... Finally realized I could lock my screen.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:06 PM   #23
Kimber84

Well I'm a believer now, they just released a statement on their Facebook page.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Kimber84

http://m.hornady.com/assets/files/su...ction-List.pdf

From what I gather, this is what they are focusing their production efforts on. They said they are suspending certain items in order to focus on their highest demand products, which is the above link.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:33 PM   #25
Farmland

Ok they posted it and now we can say it is a fact. The list hit me hard but I was able to find the two that I use most in stock so I have ordered enough for a year. I hated to do that because I was buying as I needed prior to seeing them on the list. But I just didn't have a choice.

A company has to do what they want to do. The down side is that they can shift some of their customers to other manufacturers. In addition it limits choices to some extent. They will still make money and probably a lot of it. I don't blame them because they have to consider their company above all other things. They are in business to make money that is why I really have never been brad loyal.