The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
olddav

I hate Taurus!

What really makes me mad is when I find a Taurus revolver that has a smooth trigger, tight cylinder, it feels just as good as any Smith & Wesson or Ruger that I've ever owned.

Went looking for a revolver for my wife and found a Taurus 65, inspected it as closely as I could, struck a deal and brought it home. Tried it out at my local range and it's quite the shooter. Guess I'll have to stop being a hater!
Old February 3, 2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

That just proves it!

No matter how good your factory quality control is, if you make enough, a few factory glitches slip through. At Ford and Chevy, these are called "lemons ". At Taurus, they are called "the good ones".

Just kidding. All four of my Taurus guns are very good guns.

Lost Sheep
Old February 3, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
dahermit

The reason that peole hate Taurus = hater's cannot stand the fact they are not S&W Revolvers.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
edfrompa

Taurus is number one in my book. Built to last. Very reasonable, plus they have a lifetime warranty
Old February 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Sevens

Allright, this thread is trolling for someone to post to the contrary.
YOU decide if my post is that post or not.

Today, I took my 6-inch Taurus Model 66 to the range. This is a revolver I bought from a buddy, paid him $325 for it. I named the price. He didn't "need money", he just realized that he's a 3 or 4 inch tube guy and he just had no desire to keep a 6-inch revolver any more. If I didn't want it, it was going away at the next gun show. And I bought it only because he'd let me interview it for a range trip. I've had it little more than a year and I've put around 1,100 rounds through it.

That was key, because I don't buy Taurus guns anymore if I don't have hands-on, on-range experience with them. Why? For obvious reasons. Taurus has LONG AGO figured out how to make good guns. They just refuse to do it with all of what they ship. I worry about what percentage of them would qualify.

And this one? It fills a perfect role for me. It's the .357 Magnum that will shoot anything I make and I don't worry about it. Screaming 125gr loads that will crack and bust a K-frame? Meh, I'll shoot them in the Taurus. If I kill it...it was a Taurus.

This revolver is superbly accurate. I love that because I test handloads in it. If I don't punch small groups with any particular handload, I don't sign off on it as something I want to produce in volume.

Of course... I can't cock it single action with any manner of serious strength or vigor -- if I do, it'll skip half way past the intended cylinder. I can shoot it double action, which I usually do, and most times it won't "hitch" and grind. It's all Taurus guts in there and EXACTLY as posted above, these guts couldn't be Smith & Wesson if God himself blessed them and claimed them the 8th wonder of the world. And the double action, when it doesn't bind or hitch, does discharge about 97% of the time. Out of 220 shots fired today, I only had 6 that didn't discharge when I pulled the trigger. Please don't attempt any ignorant comments re: handloads, my ammo is better than the crap most purchase at Wal-Mart.

I want to replace the hammer spring, but Wolff only offers a LIGHTER one. I seem to need a heavier one...?! 6 fails to fire out of 220 is SIX more than I will accept from all of my other revolvers...

But I'm keeping this one. Because it's accurate, because I know it's got it's "Taurus problems" and because I'm not afraid to beat the ever-lovin' snot out of with heavy handloads. We'll see how long it lasts. It's replaceable if it doesn't endure.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:09 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'm not a Taurus fan, but it sounds like all of those problems are easily fixable and, in fairness, the gun might not have come from the factory thay way.

My view is that Taurus design and materials are world class, as good as any and better than some. Their failing is in production. Either their line employees are not motivated (or paid enough) to care about quality control, or their production schedules don't allow for it.

I see claims that things have improved lately, but I see so few Taurus revolvers that I have not been able to confirm that.

Jim
Old February 3, 2013, 11:10 PM   #7
militant

I have a Taurus 605. I can't find a reason to hate it.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:14 PM   #8
shootniron

Quote:
The reason that peole hate Taurus = hater's cannot stand the fact they are not S&W Revolvers.
Dream on...

However, it is good that there are delusional folks around or else Taurus might be out of business...IDK
Old February 3, 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Lemmon

I am very happy with my 709... it fits nicely in my front pocket and works great with no problems.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina.....
Old February 3, 2013, 11:16 PM   #10
9mm

Quote:
Keep beliving that one. Just go to any gun show, feel all the Taurus, 38/357/Judge[410] lock up on cylinders, sloooopy. Now go feel some S&W, extreamly tight. I did handle a Taurus in 17 hmr in the shop, the DA pull on it was much lighter than my 94 which is like 20lbs This 17 hmr is the model 991? I believe, anyways the trigger pull was around 10lbs or so. Very nice, but still sloopy lock up.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:19 PM   #11
KMAX

So the Taurus is more durable than the K-frame?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

A double dip into the possibility of Taurus hatred.
1st dip-Taurus
2nd dip-Judge (Public Defender Poly)
The result. NO, I'm very happy with Poly.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:25 PM   #13
CajunBass

I've owned four Taurus revolvers over the years. Not bad guns, but by no stretch of my imagination can I make them be "as good" as Ruger, Colt, or Smith & Wesson.

That doesn't mean they're bad. Just not as good.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 3, 2013, 11:52 PM   #14
Dakotan

First just let me just say that I am a Taurus HATER. Not mild dislike or indifference, hate. To say I’ve never been impressed by a Taurus product is a severe understatement. But I do know a good individual gun when I see one and, it seems, that there is an exception to every rule.
A year or so ago I bought my first (and in the greatest likelihood, my last) Taurus firearm. It is the long discontinued (since 1998) Model 96 “Target Scout”; a dead ringer for a Smith and Wesson Model 17 K22 Masterpiece, right down to the Target Trigger and Hammer with pretty case coloring, adjustable sights, and nicely polished bluing. In fact, when I first saw it in the pawn shop’s case, I thought it was a Smith & Wesson K22 Masterpiece, the only immediate giveaway being the Taurus emblems in the grips, and the different rear sight design.
I’d been looking for a K22 for quite some time, but the ones in the offing had all been north of $750. SO… After a THOROUGH check-over, and a bit of haggling, I walked out with the 6 inch barreled Mod. 96 for the princely sum of $265 OTD, wondering what I could have possibly been thinking, and hoping I could get my money out of it if it was a dog. I did a TON of internet research, and found that this is a rather sought after gun by those who know of it, and I was unable to find a bad review on this model by anyone…at all! Everyone that owned one raved about it.
A Taurus that had all positive comments?! It figures that the one winner that Taurus comes up would get discontinued! After a first outing firing about 150 assorted rounds at targets of opportunity out to 50 yards, I can say that this K22 “clone” makes the grade in my book! It may not be a Smith & Wesson, but it tries really hard!!
The double action trigger pull approaches the smoothness and weight of a K22, and although the single action trigger pull is a pound or two heavier than a S&W, it breaks like a glass rod. Accuracy is outstanding even in my hands, and certainly holds better than I can.
The frame may not be as nicely polished as a Smith and Wesson, and the lockwork may not be the same design as a Smith & Wesson, but it mimics K-Frame dimensions exactly (even fits my k-frame holsters), and fools a lot of people! In fact, as well as this gun shoots and looks, I was having a hard time justifying the price for the K22 Masterpiece (although I did later). I even shucked out the $$ for a Goncalo Alves Hogue grip for the Taurus!
The Smith & Wesson is definitely a better gun, no question. But for my (and I suspect many people’s) purposes (plinking and woods walking gun) is it $500 better?
Bottom line, if you can find a Taurus Model 96 for a decent price, I can heartily recommend it, as I love mine! As for any other Taurus in general…. Not so much. FWIW!

Last edited by Dakotan; February 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:54 PM   #15
Lost Sheep

Sevens, post #5

Sevens, Taurus has a good warranty. If you send it back, they will attempt to remedy the problems. Unfortunately, their repairs department has about the same reputation as their manufacturing line, so who knows? But if you don't spin the wheel, you will not get it any better.

On the other hand, it sounds like a $75 trip to a gunsmith would probably set it right, if you think making a 97% gun into a 100% gun worth the investment.

On the OTHER other hand, some of us would not be happy unless we had at least one compliant.

Good luck with that

Lost Sheep
Old February 4, 2013, 12:03 AM   #16
Sevens

I'm well aware of the Taurus warranty. Are we not all aware of their turn-around time and there propensity for refusing to pay for the shipping?

As I said, I don't need it to be better or fixed. I know it's warts and I work around them. It fills a need for me and when I allow for it's failures -- it's a tack driving revolver that I can beat in to oblivion and not lose sleep over.

If I beat it to the point where it won't function, THEN I'll consider that tremendous Taurus warranty.

Taurus has a spot in the market and Taurus has made MANY great guns. It's ludicrous for anyone, no matter how delusional, to try and convince anyone that across the board, Taurus guns are "as good as Smith & Wesson for less money."
Old February 4, 2013, 12:07 AM   #17
shootniron

Quote:
Taurus has a spot in the market and Taurus has made MANY great guns. It's ludicrous for anyone, no matter how delusional, to try and convince anyone that across the board, Taurus guns are "as good as Smith & Wesson for less money."
Bingo!

But, you are trying to introduce logic into an argument that is void of same.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:20 AM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

The very worst excuse for poor quality control is that a product has a good warranty. That might work for washing machines or toasters, but not for a defensive handgun where failure might mean you will be too dead to return the gun for repairs.

Jim
Old February 4, 2013, 12:30 AM   #19
jason_iowa

I have some I really like and some I have gotten rid of. From now on though for 2-300bucks more Ill take the Smith. Life is to short to wait around for Taurus to fix issues.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:49 AM   #20
KMAX

Quote:
Taurus guns are "as good as Smith & Wesson for less money."
I really think Sevens has touched on something here. Taurus cost half what a compable model Smith would (or at least a good deal less), so why do people expect to get the same quality in a Taurus as in a Smith. If I pay twice as much for a car I expect to get a better car. Same goes with anything I buy. If I am not happy, satisfied, or trusting of a product's suspected quality I don't buy it, but I don't spend the rest of my life badmouthing that product. I have other things to do in this life.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 4, 2013, 09:20 AM   #21
eastbank

i have bought some very nice used S&W revolvers and autos for less than a new taurus would have cost and they were a better deal for me, plus they will be worth more if i want to sell them later. i bought a S&W 65 ss in 357 for 200.00 in mint condition at a small store that took it in trade and i just walked in and was offered it before it was put in the handgun case. eastbank.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:31 PM   #22
kahrguy

oldday You would reallyhate my'89 model ss 85. When new I took the trigger group out and radiused the edges of all moveing parts and smoothed with 1000grit bit thats all. Break free clp and carried for many years. had a very good trigger after all those years. When I stopped cc'n it I changed the hammer spring to a wolff RP spring. Nice 2lb SA and 4 1/2lb DA pull. It has made many sw j frame shooters envious.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:37 PM   #23
Redhawk5.5+P+

Don't make me contradict myself, I hate all haters.

That doesn't mean I promote Taurus's to my friend's, but I do promote them to my enemies for good reason's. LOL

There's a point to be made.....

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; February 4, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #24
Sevens

Actually, there is a point in there.
I'm a long time gun guy, I've gotten in a lot of shooting over a bunch of years with a dizzying array of handguns, many that I've owned and many, many more that I've simply had a chance to wring out.

I would buy a Taurus.
I have bought a Taurus.
I currently own two of them.
As posted, I shot the heck out of one yesterday.
There is another one out there that I have on my "I'd buy that!" list if I found it.

I would NOT, however, recommend a Taurus to a friend or acquaintance who came to me for help or suggestions. No way, ever. I'd also never point a family member to purchase one to be used strictly in a defensive role.

It's not because I hate Taurus. Not at all.

Why?! It's because I've been in this game a bit.
And because I know. And I care about someone who'd ask my opinion.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:31 PM   #25
skidder

I've owned two and they both went south. I sent one back to Florida (where they grow lemons ) only to have it returned: marred, dinged, covered in black grease, and not fixed .

I'm sure my story makes me a "basher", but that's ok . I cant change what happened.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder

Last edited by skidder; February 4, 2013 at 09:32 PM.