The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1
AL45

.45 Colt bullet question

What type of bullet is the most accurate in your .45 Colt revolver? My Ruger Blackhawk seems to like round nose flat points in the 750-900 fps range. I've had decent success with Keith style semiwadcutters, while the 300 grain jacketed were nothing to brag about. In fairness to the 300's, the recoil was a little stouter and was probably affecting me more than I realized.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Shotgun693

200 gr RNFP lead shoot to point of aim for elevation. I use'm in my Colt SAAs and my clones. Oh, in my '73 they shoot pretty good too.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
twobit

RNFP lead in 200 or 250 grain. I've been buying from crownbullet.com
Old January 25, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
MSD Mike

In my Blackhawk convertible it is pretty accurate with all loads but it really stands out with 200 gr. SWC sized to .452. Either store bought or home cast TL style. These are very accurate out of both 45 Colt and 45 ACP with the edge going to 45 ACP with home cast TL. I reamed the throats in both cylinders to .452 as they were all undersized.

Thanks
Mike
Old January 25, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Ifishsum

250 RNFP shoot very well in both the (old) Vaquero and the Gaucho. I've also cast some 255 SWC recently but have not done done any significant load testing yet.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Slamfire

I shot LSWC's and RNFP bullets and could not see any difference on paper. I shoot offhand and my accuracy criteria is how many times I can hit my 50 yard 12" gong target.

The Lead RNFP slide into the chamber easier and so that is what I am using.

I use 8.5 grains Unique with 250-255 lead, that hops around 800-900 fps, sometimes less, and the load is accurate.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Mike / Tx

Out of all I have tried so far in my Redhawk, with the single, or possible couple of loads I tried with them, I would have to give the nod to the Lee 452-255gr RFP's. I pour them myself and they are, and have been simply amazingly accurate.

Given a fair shake however I believe all the rest could probably easily compete IF I worked up the loads properly. I admit I have simply thrown together some loads simply to try the bullets out and see how they expanded or possibly how they shot using he same load as the 255's.

To be honest I really haven't found any of them from 200 up to the heavy 300's that I would call bad, all were shooting within 2" from a rest at 50yds or 2" or less off hand at 25.

I simply haven't sat down with them all and worked through a powder like I did with the 255's. They were the first ones I had on hand so I worked them up properly. I use HS-6 under them mostly, as well Unique, and AA-7 and 9. They all shoot well.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
AL45

Thanks for your input. I started out using Unique when a got the Blackhawk. with good results. Then a guy gave me some Trail Boss, Universal and 2 lbs of Blue Dot. The Trail Boss and Universal did fine, but I wasn't quite as pleased with the Blue Dot. However, I just loaded 100 rounds with a 255 swc and Blue Dot and am anxious to try it again.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:10 PM   #9
GeauxTide

I've had success with 255gr Keith from Missouri Bullets and 275 LFN from Hunters Supply. Both shoot well under 10gr of Unique. The 275 clocks 1057 from 5.5".
Old January 25, 2013, 10:30 PM   #10
rclark

I've only shot 2 types of bullets with mine ... 250g RNFP and 255g SWC. Both shoot accurately depending on the load under them. Ie. didn't find one more accurate than the other ... The SWC does cut better holes . On the other hand, my bullet vendor can get 3 boxes (500 bullets to a box) of 250g RNFP to a shipping container rather than 2 of the 255g SWCs... so been buying more RNFPs when shipping is a flat $15 a container.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL45
What type of bullet is the most accurate in your .45 Colt revolver? My Ruger Blackhawk seems to like round nose flat points in the 750-900 fps range. I
My old Vaquero loves Missouri Bullet's 255 grain RNFP over 7.1 or so grains of W231.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-...rs-of-success/
Old January 26, 2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

I've tried lots of them......

....And a lot of them were good. But none of them beats a good hand-cast bullet. My favorite is the Lee 255 grain RNFP. MY favorite powders, from fastest burning to slowest are: Titegroup; Unique; HS-7; AA-9. I use a lot of others when Providence lays them at my feet, but those four are the best in their own class as far as I'm concerned.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Texas Range Ammo

What are you using it for ?

To answer your question, we have to ask a question.

What do you intend to do with the loads ?

If you are target shooting, target/action competing, plinking, having fun,

then I agree with the various responses about the 200 gr rnfp's,,

If you are hunting or looking for maximum defense,,,,

then you need to probably look at jacketed, and in my opinion, at least 250 gr Hollow points. I say this so that you can get the most out of the caliber (which by the way I'm partial to !!).

Last but not least, each gun IS unique. There are definitely common loads that work in most guns, but you may need to try a few different ones to find the best.

and, the way you do your testing is important. Apples to apples. Eliminate variables. Shoot your samples at same distance, and from seated rest, probably 20 to 25 yards, to test not only your skill, but the guns.

good luck.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Mike / Tx

Quote:
If you are hunting or looking for maximum defense,,,,

then you need to probably look at jacketed, and in my opinion, at least 250 gr Hollow points. I say this so that you can get the most out of the caliber (which by the way I'm partial to !!).
WHAT???

Once upon a time I would have fully agreed with your statement, but as of a few years ago and especially after last year, well I might say your barking up the wrong tree.

Not saying that one cannot get good performance from jacketed bullets, but to say they are necessary for top end performance in hunting or self defense is simply being a bit closed minded, or ill informed.

Cast bullets were the staple for a good hundred or more years before jacketed became the rage. No reason why they still cannot be counted on. I can also attest to the fact that on three different occasions a standard loaded 45 Colt 250'ish grain SWC did a fine job of putting all three BG on the ground in front of my grandpa's gas station when they tried to rob him. Even with no expansion either the 44 or 45 will make a goodly sized hole through what ever they are put to task on.

With what limited testing I have done with cast in RFN, SWC, and HP's I have no reason what so ever not to trust them just as much if not more to do the job I need done when the pressure is on.

The following are only a couple of post I have been apart of, and I know there are hundreds more tests being preformed all the time by serious casters. Be sure to look at the link to "Alloy Testing" right after the pictures as well.
Pouring HP's and Learning to Blend Alloy's

In this test I actually put up a couple of the most recommended factory JHP ammo against my own cast HP, You tell me which one you would rely on, and why.
Cast - VS - Jacketed

I realize that this was a simple test and I make that statement. I know for a fact that the others will indeed expand and will put the brakes on most any BG if the need arose. I also have to believe that my own would also pretty well change any intentions of ill will coming my way.

What I have also found has been that using the proper alloy that both the SWC and the RFN designed bullets I get plenty of expansion as well. Then there is the argument that I cannot drive the cast as hard as I could the jacketed, BULL, I've run some cast loads up to 1700fps from my 454 gas checked, up to mid 1300's in both my 44 and 41 magnums flat based no GC, and up to over 1200fps from my 45 Colt same as the magnums no GC. Trust me when I say they wiiilllll GIT-R-DUN.

The key with cast is fit, and then lube. I am simply tumble lubing mine with a variation of the Lee Alox. It works so why change it.

Last edited by Mike / Tx; January 27, 2013 at 07:12 PM.