The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Captains1911

S&W Model 10 - Grip Attachment

What is the plastic thing in front of the grip seen in this photo? How does it attach?

Old October 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

It looks like a Tyler T-Grip clone. It probably has tabs attachd to the middle of it that rest under the grip panels that become secure when you tighten the grip screw.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
spanishjames

It's a "Tyler T grip", I believe Pachmyr made them as well, though I could be wrong. It attaches with clips between the grip panels.

http://www.t-grips.com/
Old October 10, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4
carguychris

That "thing" is categorically known as a grip adapter. The one on this particular gun appears to be a Tyler T-Grip. These are made of cast aluminum and have a strip of thin copper riveted to the inside. To install the adapter, the shooter removes the stocks (aka grips), wraps the copper strip tightly around the frontstrap, then reinstalls the stocks. Friction holds the copper strip, and therefore the grip adapter, in place.

IIRC Tyler also used to make a version without the finger grooves, but it has been out of production for decades. Pachmayr used to offer plastic grip adapters with no finger grooves; these usually had vertical serrations along the grip face and were offered in 3 sizes. They have also been discontinued for a long time.

S&W once offered a 3-piece factory adapter that clamped around both sides of the entire grip and had a hole for the screw to pass through; however, these adapters are quite rare.

Last edited by carguychris; October 10, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old October 10, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Captains1911

If the adapter is removed, is it likely that the frame will show uneven wear marks from it?
Old October 10, 2012, 08:13 PM   #6
royal barnes

The copper tabs are not supposed to be "bent tightly around the grip strap". Leave them straight. They'll stay on just fine. Says so right on their website.

I have also never seen the wear marks on any of my guns and a number of them have worn Tylers for years.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Black_Sheep

I have grip adapters on a couple of blued revolvers and one nickel revolver, there is no indication of wear or discoloration on any of them...
Old October 10, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Captains1911

thanks everyone, I just bought the gun on gunbroker. If anybody wants the adapter, let me know.

ETA: adapter is taken

Last edited by Captains1911; October 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #9
bumnote

Give it try first. I have a Pachmyr like that and ended up really liking it so much I ordered a few Tylers.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:13 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
The copper tabs are not supposed to be "bent tightly around the grip strap". Leave them straight. They'll stay on just fine.
I've always bent the tabs and never had a problem, perhaps because I never take my T-Grips off.