The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 14, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
SmiiiLee

AR Clip Question

I just purchased my first AR today. From my research on it so far, I am pretty sure it is a pre ban MH6601. I bought it used so I have no documentation for it.
I have not had a chance to shoot it yet cuz it has been raining all day, but I have already run into a small issue.

It has what appears to be a 20 round clip (it is about 6" long), but it will only hold 5 rounds. The tray does not even push down past the small hole in the side that is only about 1/4 from the top. How do i fix this?
Old October 14, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
sDot

I guess I will be the first to correct you and say that it's a magazine and not a clip. Just wanted to try and say it nicer than some people usually do..

It seems that your magazine was probably pinned to 5 rounds. Are you in Canada? I know that in Canada AR magazines are pinned to 5 rounds by law.

If this is not the case where you are, you should take it back and exchange it for one that isn't pinned to 5 rounds.
Old October 14, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Carne Frio

A five round magazine is usually for hunting.
Your state laws will determine what capacity
that is legal. Most states have no maximum.

The most plentiful and useful are the 20 and
30 round versions. You can get them made of
steel, aluminum and polymer. I prefer the
aluminum and polymer.

Have fun with your new hobby. It can turn into
an obsession called BRD.
Old October 14, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
SmiiiLee

Hrmm... I always thought the two words were interchangeable. Thanks for the polite correction. I am new to gun forums, and, other than occasional shooting, fairly new to guns in general.

Upon closer inspection I think you are right. It appears that there is a catch built in right where it is stopping. I thought it was just jammed or something.

Unfortunately, i bought it privately so cant return the clip. I have no regrets though. The previous owner was an older gentleman who recently passed, and i got a great deal on it. His wife who sold it to me says it has only been shot 1 or 2 times, and it shows. The thing looks brand new... I think by 1 or 2 times she literally means 1 or 2 shots.
Old October 14, 2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Gary L. Griffiths

If you're happy with the deal you got on the AR, then you should still be happy. If you live in Canada, you have the only magazine you're allowed to have; if you live in a free country, 20- and 30-round magazines are plentiful and cheap.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old October 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
SmiiiLee

I have been accused of sounding Canadian on more than one occasion, lol. But i live in the US.

I will just have to get myself a new magazine. I cant wait to get out shooting, either way. I wish this rain would stop so i can go out to the farm.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
ripnbst

Use that 5 rounder for hunting.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:25 PM   #8
kentuckycountryboy

Just to point out the obvious, doesn't CA have a 5rd mag limit? I know some states have capacity limits. I just don't want the OP to get in trouble if he doesn't live in a free state.