The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 05:42 PM   #1
jdc606

Value of Browning A5 12 gauge?

I have an older (round pistol grip) Browning A5 12gauge. Functions 100% but nothing unique or pristine. Numbers don't match, 2 3/4" chamber, surface pitting on receiver. Think it's Belgian FN manufacture but sports a red recoil pad.
Local pawn shop won't take any 2 3/4" 12 gauge. I was hoping to get $100 for it but now think I'll be lucky to get $50 if I can find somewhere to take it.
What do you think, folks?
Old May 5, 2022, 07:43 PM   #2
mulespurs

If you want to deliver

I have $100
Old May 5, 2022, 07:55 PM   #3
hub1home

Does it work?
Old May 5, 2022, 08:28 PM   #4
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Does it work?
Works fine. I live in southern Minnesota.
Old May 5, 2022, 08:29 PM   #5
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulespurs View Post
I have $100
I live in southern Minnesota
Old May 5, 2022, 08:31 PM   #6
Scorch

They definitely don't command the prices they used to. Used to be ANY Belgian Browning was worth a grand, but I have seen a lot of them over the past 10 years sell for three to four hundred. Sure, a really pristine one will get you about six or eight hundred, but that's pretty rare anymore. The generation that thought they were the best shotgun ever is pretty much dead, and the younger guys don't want them because they don't have screw-in chokes and they can't make them tacticool.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:03 AM   #7
BornFighting88

Surplus shop down the street that has the dozen or so Hungarian High Powers has a few A5 humpbacks for sale. Cheap, too. Might go get one.
Old May 7, 2022, 06:59 PM   #8
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFighting88 View Post
Surplus shop down the street that has the dozen or so Hungarian High Powers has a few A5 humpbacks for sale. Cheap, too. Might go get one.
What is the asking price on those A5's? I could take mine to a Cabela's 35 miles away but would prefer giving the deal to a local gun shop. Don't want to saddle the LGS with something he will have to sit on forever. Example: If the LGS gives me $100, could he flip it quickly for $150?
Old May 8, 2022, 01:55 PM   #9
BornFighting88

Parted receiver is $30. The website does not have any listed, but next time I am in the shop, I will see what they have to offer and report back to you all. Hopefully that will help you in your decision.
Old May 8, 2022, 02:49 PM   #10
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFighting88 View Post
I will see what they have to offer and report back to you all. Hopefully that will help you in your decision.
Thank you. I know Cabela's reputation when it comes to buying used firearms and would prefer to give a steal of a deal to the LGS. At the same time, I would rather get $100 per firearm than $50.
Old May 8, 2022, 08:24 PM   #11
BornFighting88

Full firearm will most likely garner you a good bit more than a stripped receiver. Plan on going into that shop this week for some more parts for another build. Keep eyes peeled, folks.
Old May 8, 2022, 08:36 PM   #12
mulespurs

Maybe

Maybe we can get togather.

I live in nwest Iowa
Old May 14, 2022, 07:29 PM   #13
jdc606

Better than I thought

While I've heard nothing but bad about Cabela's pricing, took the old A5 there today and got $550 cash for it. Way better than I'd hoped for after the local pawn shop wouldn't even consider a 2 3/4" 12 gauge.
Old May 14, 2022, 10:20 PM   #14
Drm50

Cabelas giving $550 for a beat up A5? Either buyer is fixing to get fired or was drunk. $100 is ridiculously low for functioning shooter, but $550 will buy a very nice example. All the classic shotguns are soft. Win 12s, Ithaca 37s, ect.
Old May 15, 2022, 06:39 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

You did well for a Cabela's sale. They typically pay pennies on the dollar.
I have never seen anyone come out so well with Cabela's.

---

Modern shooters don't want old shotguns. And the few that do want one or two usually don't care to pay for special or rare variants.
The market has gotten soft, because there isn't much competition.
I recently bought 9 shotguns from a shop in Georgia, at a fixed price of $80 apiece. The owner told me he was no longer going to buy any older, common 12 or 20 ga shotguns, or any 16 ga, and just wanted the rack space. No one buys them in his area. And it isn't much different here. (At the edge of the Rockies.)

I picked up a pristine 1920 Winchester 12 from an auction a few weeks ago for $220. The only other bidder stopped at $200.

Even the guys that *are* interested in old shotguns often don't know much. If I put a Stevens 77, a Winchester 12, and a Meriden on a table, maybe 3 out of 100 "shotgun guys" would recognize more than the Winchester. Even then, at least one of them would say the Meriden was a Winchester.

There just isn't much interest in them any more.
If you pay any attention to the old European SxS shotguns, you'll see a slide there, too. The high end stuff is staying high. But the middle grades and brands, and all of the lower end stuff is dropping. Partly because modern shooters don't want them. Partly because some changes to gun laws and licensing in Europe have shifted interests in their domestic markets, resulting in a lot of the now less desirable guns being exported to the US.

My brother and I have been talking about this a lot recently, and two auctions came up that perfectly illustrated the point.
An auction in PA had a matched set of used but decent and mechanically sound mid-grade Holland and Holland extractor guns close today at $5,200. Well below expected values, especially based on sales 5-10 years ago; but still expensive enough to keep most potential buyers away.
In contrast, a nearly identical set, in even better condition, is in an auction in the UK that ends in about a week. Current bid is £800. No one expects it to exceed £1,300.
UK buyers don't want extractors any more, and simply won't pay for them.

I've been talking with some import/export guys and a couple of dealers that specialize in high end stuff. They all say the same thing: About 80% of the extractor guns and low- and mid-grade guns from desirable makers, that sell at auction in the UK, are being exported to US buyers. About 5% are going to Canada.

Interest has waned, collectors have shifted their focus, and the US (and Canadian) market is being impacted by laws and changing attitudes in the UK and EU.
Old May 19, 2022, 09:34 AM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
While I've heard nothing but bad about Cabela's pricing, took the old A5 there today and got $550 cash for it.
Looks like that's the end of the story.
Closed.
Closed Thread