The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2000, 04:22 PM   #1
Big Jim

I recently purchased a 14" 375 Win barrel for my Contender and am looking for some decent load data for it. Can anyone supply some good data or direct me to it.
Old June 11, 2000, 01:37 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Big Jim,

Do you have a reloading manual but are looking for more, as in additional, data or what?

"Decent load data" is in most of the reloading manuals, but I don't have any that show a 14 in Contender load. I have some modern pistol powder loads I use in .38-55 that would probably work real well.

------------------
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th and 13th, 2000
Old June 11, 2000, 12:58 PM   #3
Big Jim

Sensop,

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I have several manuals, including a dedicated Contender manual. None of these have reloading info for the 375 in the Contender. Most manuals have rifle data for the 225 gr FP. My Lyman manual also lists other weights, but always FP rifle data. I know from experience that good rifle data is not always good pistol data.

I would especially like data using some of the excellent pointed bullets that are available for the 375. I know that these bullets are most often constructed for use at higher velocities, but they would make good silhouette rounds.

Any help that you can give me would be appreciated.
Old June 11, 2000, 05:18 PM   #4
Bud Helms

Well, I have used IMR4227 at 18 grs behind a 270 grain lead bullet. It knocks steel rams down at 200, but it doesn't knock 'em into tomorrow. I figure that's somwhere aroung 1500 fps. That's a guess. I'll check and edit this post later if I'm wrong about the velocity.

Oh, BTW, that's out of a 30 inch .38-55 heavy barrel, so I hardly feel it. You may get a different experience from a 14 inch Contender. Even with the lighter bullet I'd back off to 16 or 18 grs and work up. Yes?

Old June 11, 2000, 05:29 PM   #5
Big Jim

I just located a reloading page that lists pistol loads for the 375. It is located at http://www.again.net/~steve/page8a.htm. He does not give too many particulars, but it helps.

I like the idea of using 4227 in a 14" barrel. It is fast enough that the shorter barrel should not hurt velocity too much. Your right about recoil. I think that a 270 gr bullet at 1500 fps in a Contender would soon get uncomfortable.