The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 4, 2005, 05:41 PM   #26
mtnbkr

Quote:
What "killed" my buddy was the safety
No, you killed your buddy. You enabled the safety, not him. He wasn't expecting it, had no reason to. It's your fault. Live with it.

Moral: don't fsck with other people's guns.

Chris
Old December 4, 2005, 11:05 PM   #27
araebisu
Registration in progress

for the record, it wasnt a gun, it was a toy
Old December 4, 2005, 11:09 PM   #28
mtnbkr

I'm well aware of that. I was sticking to the terminology used by the poster.

The point still remains. Don't fsck with someone's weapon. Hand it back exactly as it was handed to you.

Chris
Old December 5, 2005, 11:39 AM   #29
Pistolenschutze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
And therein lies the joy of simplicity found in the DA revolver. No safety, no problem ...
Amen to that, Leif!

You folks are quite correct, in my opinion. We sometimes forget that in a true confrontational situation fear will always be present along with the adrenalin. Brains don't work as well under those conditions. Yes, training helps a great deal, and we do tend to react as we are trained, but even training can fail if there is enough adrenalin. The simpler the better, I think. If you can arrange it so all you must do is point the weapon and squeeze a trigger, the better off you are. The issue of manipulating a safety is one of the major reasons I carry a Glock or a double/single action when I carry a semi-auto, and NEVER carry a 1911.
Old December 6, 2005, 12:15 PM   #30
too many choices!?

That's why I carry a Glock 23 and Taurus PT-145 Mill Pro, duh

Same manuel of arms as a revolver, point and click...Of course the Glcok has no safety and gets treated likea double action only revolver, and gets EXTRA attension when being holstered . The Mill Pro is double action only, so basically it IS, a semi-automatic revolver ! It does however have a safety that must be thumbed up to safe the weapon, and thumbed down to fire. I only use it while holstering the pistol, and as soon as it is holstered, the safety comes off...If I have a gun on me, any gun I carry, has one up the pipe and a disabled safety(if applicable). All my carry guns are, atleast in my mind and training pattern, double action only revlovers.......That just happen to spit brass