The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2005, 01:13 PM   #1
clearwaterms

i bought a shotgun

last night I went over to my local gun shop and looked at purchasing a shotgun, based on the suggestions of this board, I went with the Remington 870 wingmaster, used. It has a front red dot sight and the adjustable choke installed (the kind you twist to set the choke) I paid $250 for it. Being it's used and this is my first shotgun, is there anything I should look for before I crack out the pigeon thrower and start shooting?
Old March 22, 2005, 01:31 PM   #2
16ga

I would:
-make sure it's not loaded and the magazine is empty
-strip and visually inspect/clean/grease, as appropriate
-check to see if there's a magazine plug, if legally required where you are (the manual you can download from Remington.com will explain how)
Old March 22, 2005, 01:36 PM   #3
kojak

-magazine plug for 2 shot in the magazine where necessary
-check if stock is loose, if, tighten before shooting as the stock could be broken
-steel shots could damage 3/4 and full choke, so the adjustable choke should be turned from no choke at all to 1/2
-have fun!!
Old March 24, 2005, 08:53 AM   #4
Twycross

Completely strip it down. If anything can be disassambled, disassemble it. Then clean and oil all appropriate parts.