The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2013, 07:26 PM   #26
flashhole

Pics would help a lot.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old April 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #27
cptmclark

Pics?

Hmmm> I'm certainly willing to provide pics but in this case the tiny square index rod would be tough to photograph, expecially with the wrench in place. Maybe i don't understand and certainly don't want to sound unappreciative. The square indexing "nut" on the end of the rod has to move to make the turret go to the place where the ball detent wants it to be. The ball is hidden by the turret and I guess I don't have any idea how to offer a photo.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:41 PM   #28
flashhole

You're doing something wrong and I can't put my finger on it from your description. It's not that hard to adjust the alignment of the press.

Old April 19, 2013, 07:49 PM   #29
cptmclark

OK, so I'm doing something wrong...

The turret stops a good 1/8 inch from being centered, and is well off the ball detent. It does that by it'self. I can't influence that just by pulling the handle.

The instructions say in that case to hold the square rod with a wrench and simply turn the turret to the correct place. Problem is, it won't turn with any reasonable force.

Before I take the index rod off and get real seriousl about releasing the square key (I call it a key, it may be called something else but they dont tell me) I hoped to learn whether I'm missing something or whether it needs to go back. I've waited months already and would really like to just be able to turn that key a couple of degrees and then make it fast again. Obviously it has to be solidly fixed in place or it would get out of time in a hurry. So what am I missing?
Old April 19, 2013, 07:57 PM   #30
CrustyFN

Put a wrench on the indexing rod to keep it from moving and then turn the turret by hand until it is where it belongs. I had to do that the first time when setting up my LCT and it has never been off after that. Lee also has some great help video's on their web site showing that and other set up problems. But don't be afraid to ask here, we are happy to help. Congrats on your classic turret press. I have had mine seven years and am still very happy with my decision to buy it.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:24 PM   #31
cptmclark

Thank you Crusty

Having done exactly what you said, I think maybe I need to find a way to break the square key free from the rod. Then of course I'll need to peen or cement it back I guess once I have it in the right place.

lee could have been better with their instruction manual, but after 48 years of using and writing jet airplane tech manuals I should be able to figure out a simple loading press. I'm embarassed to even have to ask, but I've tried for a few hours to figure out why this thing wont turn and I guess it just has to be loosened from the shaft. As it is, the rod begins to deform under the wrench before the square index piece will move. Maybe I just need to apply more force???
I hope I don't sound disrespectful to any offering help and advice. Just frustrated and I'll be much better tomorrow.

I do appreciate you guys.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:06 PM   #32
dacaur

When I adjusted mine, I took the rod out of the press, then used the 1/4" wrench on the indexing rod, then found another wrench that fit the top square part, rather than trying to do it in the press... Took a couple tries to get it just right, but I didn't think it would be a good idea to put a lot of pressure on the aluminum turret.....
Old April 20, 2013, 01:43 PM   #33
flashhole

I hope you are trying to turn the turret and not the frame. The turret holds the dies. The frame holds the turret.

Old April 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #34
cptmclark

I'll try taking it out where I can get more torque on it. That plastic guide at the top looks fragile too. After moving the key, how have you been re-securing it?

Yes, I'm twisting the turret, not the frame.

Thanks
Old April 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #35
cptmclark

I took the rod out of the press as suggested by dacaur, put in in a vise, and was able to turn the index square with a wrench. It took more torque than I ever could have applied with my hand twisting the turret. Two trys was all it took to be turning into the ball detent.

From the replies it seems that Lee typically sends these out without properly indexing them. This is my first Lee press, chosen from advice recieved on this forum to replace my trusty RCBS Jr. I find the instructions to be lacking on the Lee product, but do expect from the many recommendations that it will work just fine once I figure out the fundamentals that should have been in the set up instructions. Such as: don't install the shell holder as instructed before you have installed the primer arm. You'll never succeed otherwise. Such a simple thing took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get it in, and there is no guidance on that. Next I'll figure out what to do with the other plactic thingy that I don't know what it is yet.

Thank you to all
Old April 20, 2013, 08:29 PM   #36
CrustyFN

Quote:
Next I'll figure out what to do with the other plactic thingy that I don't know what it is yet.
That is probably the spare retchet. As long as you don't short stroke the handle and raise the ram half way before you turn the turret by hand to remove it the ratchet should last a long time. I have been loading on my classic turret for seven years and loaded thousands of rounds and am still on the original ratchet that came installed.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:04 PM   #37
Fire_Moose

Re: Moving up from single stage

I picked up 15 spares (LOL) if you need a new square ratchet. Glad you got it working. I wonder why yours was so tight.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:01 AM   #38
Lost Sheep

My Classic Turret was indexing properly from the first day I received it and put it into service. I guess I as lucky. You are right, Lee should have them properly indexed before shipment. But that would take another bit of man-hours and raise the price.

Some way of locking the thing in place after you get it adjusted would be nice. A second, lock-nut perhaps, set-screw or tangential screw. In the meantime, a product like Lock-tite might be the thing. Superglue would work (all you have to do to loosen it, I understand, is heat it up a little).

The spare black plastic thingy (Square Ratchet) is most conveniently stored on the indexing rod, just below the nut you adjusted. It is out of the way there, but easy to find if you ever need it.

Lost Sheep
Old April 21, 2013, 09:28 AM   #39
Unclenick
Staff

See if this YouTube video doesn't help solve the problem. He shows the issue pretty clearly and offers a solution.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle