The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #76
Buford_Tannen

I have to say Ruger & S&W each have pluses / minuses based on the purpose of the gun. My S&W 686 was smooth as could be new but the Ruger was a bit more jittery. On a single shot this really didn't make much difference. Both are keepers.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:20 PM   #77
Dragline45

I am going to have to lean towards Smith & Wesson, but I have absolutely nothing against Rugers. They both can get the job done, but Smith and Wesson's tend to do it with better triggers and fit and finish. Both companies make excellent guns so you really cant go wrong with either.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #78
shootniron

I like the look and feel of the Smith's better, but they are probably not the quality of the Ruger...with the possible exception of the 686.JMO
Old January 27, 2013, 06:48 AM   #79
wap41

flip a coin
Old January 29, 2013, 12:30 AM   #80
oldgunsmith

The Rugers usually take more neglect or abuse & come out working. Not Rocket science. Compare the working parts inside & see which one, part for part, looks heavier duty & less breakable. If I only had one that had to last the rest of my life it would be the Ruger every time. If you want the most absolute reliability, leave the original springs in it. The only problems we've had on the range have been with aftermarket spring kits. They're more likely to go click instead of bang every now and then. If you're not strong enough to handle original springs consider doing hand exercises.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:43 AM   #81
codefour

I originally posted this:
Quote:
My recent 627 PC 5 inch was shipped from the factory with a bent frame..! Yes, the barrel was threaded in crooked because the frame was bent. My 360 had a horrible timing issue. S&W fixed them both but it took over 60 days
When I received my 627 after it visted the warranty center, I took it to the range and shot it a bit. It was not shooting 5 feet left at fifty yards anymore. So I put it away in the safe thinking they fixed it. I was also zeroing many rifles that day so I did no pay much attention to the 627. I was told it was fixed.

This last week, I thought I would zero the sights on my recently returned 627. I hung a target at 25 yards. Long story short, it still shoots eight or nine inches to the left at 25 yards. I had to move the sights ALL the way to the right to get it partially in the black!

This experience has left with me a lot to be desired from recent S&W production!

The PC (their crem de la crem) is again going back to S&W.

My older 686's and 681's can out shoot the infamous 627 (AKA boat anchor) ten to one.

I should have just bought a GP100 and another SP101 for the same money...

This was disheartening to say the least.! It is on its second trip to S&W. Why can't they make a $1,200 revolver shoot straight..?

BTW: I thought I was having a bad day at the range. So I tried out my Rugers, i.e. Redhawk, SP101 and my friends GP100. They were dead on!

I think I am done with S&W for a while.... It is sad too.. I like their revolvers but this last episode left a bad taste in my mouth..
Old January 29, 2013, 01:46 AM   #82
Nanuk

That is too bad code, my recent Smiths have been perfect. The last 2 times I had to send one in (Both times 360PD) it was back in 2 weeks.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:26 PM   #83
Crankgrinder

If i had 800 and didnt mind the hillary lock then id have bought the smith, but only had 600 and dont like the lock so went with the ruger
Old January 31, 2013, 12:36 PM   #84
rclark

Quote:
Between S&W and Ruger it come down to personal choice.
Yep... For example, I don't like the looks of any S&W revolver no matter how well 'blued' they are. The grip even look, well, to be polite 'different'. Others though think they are the prettiest revolvers on Earth.... If they made a good looking plow handle SA, like the Rugers, or USFA, or Freedom Arms, Colt, or.... Then maybe S&W would be worth a look . That said, either will last a life time (or many more) of use. But better? Your own 'personal' call. Both will do the job intended for them.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.