The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
KYLimbHanger

Stuck extractor plunger on Remington 1100...help! *Pic*

I recently purchased a Remington 1100 LW 20 ga. made back in 1971. I noticed the claw extractor was real loose. Upon further investigation, I noticed the extracter plunger wasn't springy, therefore not putting pressure on the claw extractor. Seems the extractor spring and/or the extractor plunger are stuck. I have tried soaking the breech bolt in PowderBlast and it is not breaking free. I can't push down on the plunger to remove the extractor. It won't budge. Any idea how to fix this? I have included a pic to show how the extractor plunger in compressed.

Old March 22, 2005, 11:25 AM   #2
Clemson

Soak with Kroil or PBBlaster (NAPA auto parts store) for 24 hours. You may have something jammed in with the plunger, but if the Kroil won't loosen it up, you will likely have to get the bolt to a Remington repair facility.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old March 22, 2005, 11:43 AM   #3
KYLimbHanger

Well, I have some PB Blaster, didn't even think about it. If I can get the plunger and spring out, I am definetly gettting them replaced.
Old March 22, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Lokmdwn

Before you get mad and break out the drill, make sure you can get replacement parts from Remington. I have the same gun and finding a new barrel turned out to be quite a chore. In case you were unaware, Pre-1977 20 guage LW 1100's were built on a 12 guage frame. The new LT barrels will not fit without being modified. I do not know about the rest of the parts. Log in on Remingtons website and get the part number or give them a call. Beyond that I agree with the soaking. Soak it for a couple of days if you have to.
Old March 22, 2005, 01:09 PM   #5
KYLimbHanger

Went to auto parts store during lunch to get some penetrating oil if the PBB doesn't work. Couldn't find any Kroil. But, I picked up a can of SeaFoam Deep Creep. I found the claw extractor, extractor spring, and the extractor plunger on MidWayUSA and Brownells. The gun shoots great but every now and then it won't eject a shell (using Remington Express Long Range shotshells). I figured the loose extractor is the root of the problem. Barrel gas holes are not clogged and the o-ring is in great shape.
Old March 22, 2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Lokmdwn

Great.
I hope you get it to break free. I agree with clemson, sounds like something is jammed in there and it might not be corrosion. Those are great shotguns. How much did you pick it up for?
Old March 22, 2005, 02:32 PM   #7
KYLimbHanger

Well, this is the first 20 ga. I have owned. I have an 1100 12 ga. that I got from my grandpa. It has a 30 inch full slick barrel. I came across the 20 ga. and had to buy it. It is the exact same gun as my 12 ga. just in 20 ga. But, the 20 ga. is the LightWeight model with the Mahonany stock and forearm. It is in excellant condition with a few minor stock nicks and blue is 99%, near perfect. I got for $325 otd.

I went to Remington's website and looked up the parts needed to replace the extractor, extractor plunger and and extractor plunger spring. All parts just under $20. If I can get the dang thing unstuck, I'll sure make an order.

Thanks for the help guys. I am new here and I appreciate the replies. I posted the same topic on shotgunworld.com's forums and got little help. Thanks.

I'll try to post some pics of it soon.