The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2018, 02:27 PM   #1
stagpanther

My second shotgun

I've had an 12g 870 for over 10 years and have multiple barrels to fit every need--but I've never been much of an enthusiastic shotgunner--those 12 gauge deer hunting slugs--the higher velocity ones anyways--are quite the thumpers.

So there I was minding my own business browsing the internet when up popped a hunter review with some writer who exhorted the viewer to try a 20 gauge slug gun over a 12 gauge--and that you would never go back once you tried one. Hmmmm, sounds like a good idea. I also had a visit recently by an avid shotgunner who also told me that I should try a semi-auto--and likewise would never go back to a pump if I tried one. Double hummm.

So today I ordered a Browning Silver Stalker Deer gun in 20 gauge.

Good buy... pros/cons/advice?
Old October 12, 2018, 03:11 PM   #2
MarkCO

I'd say win on both counts. 20g slugs are, in my experience, more accurate and hit Deer just as hard as the 12g slugs. When you go to rifled bores with sabots you get another bump in accuracy and range. Still need to get a box of a few flavors and see which one works best. If you are allowed to use a red dot or low mag (1-4x) you will have a great combo.
Old October 12, 2018, 03:14 PM   #3
stagpanther

Thanks--my intuition was this might be a good buy--but I've been known to jump on the hype bandwagon often enough. Good point on the slugs--need to order some up. I probably will end up reloading them too eventually, I figure.
Old October 12, 2018, 03:50 PM   #4
MarkCO

With Sabots in the $2 to $4 range per shot, yes it makes sense to load them. I have never seen 20g sabots for sale, but I am sure you can find them somewhere. I load 50 at a time for 12g for about $60.
Old October 12, 2018, 07:22 PM   #5
peterg7

My second shotgun

I’m a 20 gauge convert, Remington copper solids and H&R ultra slughunter has been a one shot killing setup for several seasons. Yeah the slugs are expensive but when you only use 1 per deer it ain’t too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 14, 2018, 11:46 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...20 gauge over a 12 gauge..." That'd be simple physics. That Newton guy's idea about equal and opposite reactions. A lighter object going forward will always have less force going backwards.
Like MarkCO says, a slug is a slug. A 20 ga. slug is typically 3/4 or 7/8 oz. 12's are 7/8 or 1 oz. Velocity matters, but Bambi won't know or care which one you use.
"...try a semi-auto..." First thing anybody who is even a little sensitive to recoil should do. Part of said recoil, usually the gasses involved, are used to operate the firearm. A semi-auto is just going to pound you less over a whole day. A 20 ga. semi-auto will pound you even less.
Old October 14, 2018, 02:59 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
"...20 gauge over a 12 gauge..." That'd be simple physics. That Newton guy's idea about equal and opposite reactions. A lighter object going forward will always have less force going backwards.
That's only correct if both guns weigh the same; unfortunately, many 20s weight a pound or more less and can thus, possibly have MORE recoil than a 12.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 14, 2018, 10:19 PM   #8
tmd47762

I’ll second FITASC the 20 ga guns are usually lighter. That’s good for walking. I usually carry a 20 Benelli Nova with 1 oz field loads as my go-to gun. It kicks way harder than my 12 ga 870 with 1 1/8 loads. Now I grew up shooting pump shotguns so I find hard recoil to be a part of the fun. Shot a 3in magnum load (1 1/4 oz) this weekend and it will kick! I love the 20 ga since I reload and it saves on powder and shot plus it just shoots where I look. I’ve never hunted with slugs but the 20s are really nice to carry and the load weight isn’t that big a difference.
Old October 14, 2018, 11:41 PM   #9
stagpanther

I've shot plenty of high-power slugs, magnum and heavi shot turkey loads through my pump 12g 870--I'll find out soon enough what the difference is. I'm guessing the gas system will mitigate some of the felt recoil. In the end--if I can get similar energy with better accuracy delivered to target I don't really care all that much if it recoils no less--though I might not want to spend hours at the range shooting it.
Old October 15, 2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Drm50

I have a 870 12g slug gun that I bought new in 1966 and it still looks new because I have never used it much. I carry a A5 Browning Light Twelve that has
been cut to approx. 24" and fitted with sights. I bought my wife a Rem 1100LT
in 20g. She has killed 7 deer, 1st day in 7 seasons. I have used it and took a
couple deer with it. It is a good accurate gun but not anymore than a 12g, that
is a gun for gun deal, not a given fact. It doesn't make sense to me but the
Rem 1100 will outshoot the Rem 870 as a rule, reguardless of Guage. I found
that the most accurate smooth bore guns with Foster slugs to be the Ithaca
Deer Slayer. At typical woods ranges it makes little difference whether 20,16 or
12. They all will do the job. 410s are iffy and shouldn't be used much over 40yds
I'm pleased to say I may never shoot another slug since Ohio got rifle season.
After being restricted to slugs for years I question anyone who would want one
unless they had no choice. Guys who never deer hunted with a rifle didn't know
what they were missing. Hunting with slugs is like a surgeon operating in boxing
gloves.
Old October 15, 2018, 07:26 PM   #11
stagpanther

To me slug guns are more or less "quick and efficient muzzleloaders." They do get you into hunting areas where rifles might not be allowed, though.
Old October 15, 2018, 08:32 PM   #12
kymasabe

I shot trap with a 12 gauge for years, but my fun shotgun and my hunting gun was a 20 gauge youth model Rem 870 with a 20 inch barrel. I could carry that thing all day, light, fast, less recoil, just as lethal.
Old October 15, 2018, 10:48 PM   #13
rwilson452

I alway thought well of the sweet 16. Sadly, they are hard to find these days.
Old October 16, 2018, 04:47 AM   #14
eastbank

I was able to buy a Remington 1187 in 20ga 2-3/4" and 3" that uses the same barrel for each and I like it.