The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2000, 07:44 AM   #1
Peter M. Eick

I picked up a new H&K P7-PSP (NIB) yesterday. (One of the last 11 NIB in the country (or so I was told)) and I am curious if there is any suggestions for reloading with the fluted chamber and 9mm?

I have never loaded the 9mm, but I do all of the other common rounds. I know this will probably raise some eyebrows, but till the PSP I never saw a 9mm since my old hi-power that I wanted so I never re-loaded the 9mm (the hi-power was sold to buy my wifes wedding ring, prior to my reloading days).

I assume no lead bullets due to the gas redarding system and the polygonal barrel, and the brass needs to be sorted due to the variety of 9mm brass out there, but any other advice?

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, Perfection!
Old June 9, 2000, 10:26 AM   #2
TexasRusty

Peter

Congratualions on your new aqusition. May you be happy with each other.

I reload quite a bit for 9mm, a couple of Sigs and my wifes S&W. I do not sort cases I use them in whatever order thay come up including some nickle. I have over 4000 mixed comercial cases. I do not feel that mixing cases is a big deal if you are not working at maximum loadings. I have loaded many of these cases over 10-15 times with no problems. Mixing the cases doen't seem to affect accuracy very much either. My own mistakes make more of a difference that the cartridge anyway.

I use 4.5 gr of W231 and a 115 gr winchester bullet, either FMJ or JHP (whatever I find cheap). The max recomended by Winchester is 4.9 gr so my load I would place in the medium category. I have found that anything less than 4.3 gr I have trouble with my guns fully cycling. It is a nice load for practice and plinking.

I don't like loading lead for semi-auto pistols. I know that jacketed stuff raises the price a little but it is a price I am willing to pay. Since I mainly shoot handguns at an indoor range I just feel safer not having to worry about breathing the lead dust.

I hope this helps.
Old June 9, 2000, 04:19 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. You are right in not shooting cast or swaged bullets in your P7. If you do, you just have to scrub out the gas piston tube. By the way, if you don't have the "tool" for this, I'd get it. It's just a flat "rod" that fits tightly in the tube such that you rotate it to clean. I've shot bullets as light as 100 grains and as heavy as 124 grs with utterly no problems. This pistol's worked fine with both factory and handloaded ammunition and you can reload cases fired in this gun despite its fluted chamber. My P7 has never jammed nor failed to extract. The sights are regulated well from the factory and the piece is accurate. I think you've bought a fine gun. Best.
Old June 13, 2000, 04:42 PM   #4
jtduncan

Peter:

Both my P7 PSP and my old P7M8 loved hotter ammo. 4.9 to 5.0 grains of Universal behind a 115 grain FMJ bullet got superb accuacy out to 75 feet.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old June 14, 2000, 07:40 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Suggest any quality jacketed bullet, any case, any primer (I use CCI), Alliant Power Pistol or Vihtavuori 3N37, and load cartridge to maximum reliable OAL. Finish with a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"