The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
salvadore

mossberg

One of the forum folk wanted a heads up on how my Mossberg AR shot. This is the hunter model. The first session was short because the rifle liked to rip thru the rims of winchester 5.56 FMJs made in 1996, forgot to bring a rod so after 3 shots I went home to remove the case. This round functions fine thru my Mini-14. Next session included reloads with 69gr Match kings and Hodgon CFE, the Winchesters and some Russian stuff. Still ripped thru the rims of the Winchester stuff. Best of 5 groups with the Match Kings was 4 into .5" with the fifth making it into a 1.25". Could not get any of the groups under an 1". Oh yeah, some reloads with 50gr dogtown's using BLC2 would give mediocre groups with one out of the five keyholing. I'm going to continue with the match Kings and some 65gr Sierra's with various powders. I believe the biggest problem is he trigger. I had a Smith lighten it a bit but it is still a LOOOoooong
pull. May have to buy one. Information only.
Old June 30, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
salvadore

Switched to BLc2 and a 63gr Sierra. Ordered a trigger from Brownell's.
Old June 30, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
10-96

Wow, I hate to hear it turned out to be a rim eater. About how fast were you pushing the dog towns? Was that the only keyholing you saw signs of?

I was realling pulling for Mossberg- those guys really could use a win these days.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 2, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
salvadore

I'm not sure, I loaded em up for mt CZ, 1 in 12" and they shoot dandy I have some 55gr dogtowns I will try after I get the Mossberg to shoot, and yes it was the 50gr dts that were keyholing. I ordered a JP trigger and hammer. I'm pretty sure the trigger may be keeping me inconsistant. BTW, does anyone have an idea why it tears thru the rims of the Winchester 5.56 stuff and not anything else? Probably get the trigger and hammer this week and try to get out the next.
Old July 2, 2012, 01:44 PM   #5
10-96

Man, I don't know on that one. Have you ran any factory loaded brass cased ammo through it yet? If you're using regular .223 dies on your 5.56 brass- I don't see how that would goober things up.

How long is the barrel? I wonder if a short gas tube could be cycling the action before the case releases from the chamber walls (can't remember the word- "un-obturates"?).

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.