The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2018, 06:19 PM   #126
davidsog

Quote:
It doesn’t matter. Your concealed carry pistol stays concealed and in its holster until you are one hundred percent certain you intend to use it for your own self-defense.
https://www.usacarry.com/what-does-brandishing-mean/

Quote:
When is enough, enough? Cessation of Threat
Quote:
You shoot to STOP THE THREAT is about all I can tell you.
https://www.defensivestrategies.org/...nal-protection

The decision to shoot to defend your life is made BEFORE your weapon is removed from concealment. It is never “let me pull out a weapon and hope I do not have to use it. It stays concealed until a decision is made that your life is in imminent danger and using it is the only option.

You are not a cop or a soldier. A CCW is only for personal defense.
Old August 16, 2018, 06:24 PM   #127
davidsog

Quote:
The intent of drawing a weapon is to stop the attack, not to shoot the attacker. If in the course of drawing and pointing my weapon the attacker changes his mind I have no legal justification to shoot him. You insist on applying a one-size-fits-all answer to a complex question. Good luck
You should have made the decision to shoot before even reaching for your weapon.
Old August 16, 2018, 06:50 PM   #128
davidsog

Quote:
Thats is completely false. Having been in the training business for the past 25 years, as well as working LE as a Sheriffs Deputy, i can say unequivocally, that if the threat stops...so must your response to that threat
I hope you are better cop than you are a reader!
Old August 16, 2018, 06:52 PM   #129
K_Mac

Quote:
You should have made the decision to shoot before even reaching for your weapon.
And you should take a couple of self defense classes with professional instruction before making statements that are incorrect and potentially dangerous to anyone influenced by your recommendations. Having the skills and intelligence to be able to adapt in a life threatening encounter is far more complex than inane bumper sticker platitudes.
Old August 16, 2018, 07:38 PM   #130
davidsog

Quote:
And you should take a couple of self defense classes with professional instruction before making statements that are incorrect and potentially dangerous to anyone influenced by your recommendations. Having the skills and intelligence to be able to adapt in a life threatening encounter is far more complex than inane bumper sticker platitudes.
I have had a couple, thanks.

Not my fault reading is fundamental in some folks.
Old August 16, 2018, 07:44 PM   #131
davidsog

Here is the facts:

1. Brandishing is illegal in most states. You make the decision to shoot before you even reach for your weapon. If your life is not in imminent threat then do not pull your weapon out.

2. If the decision is made to shoot, shoot until the threat stops.

3. NEVER think you producing a weapon is going to stop the threat or incorporate that into any defense plan.

4. If you win the lottery and the threat stops before you have to discharge a round....call your lawyer to defend yourself from the brandishing charges.

Take a minute and consult an attorney about the consequences of shooting and only wounding your attacker....it will be enlightening.
Old August 16, 2018, 08:03 PM   #132
JC57

Wow - sorry my reply to this thread caused it to spiral (or even continue).

I'll summarize my first post, which was solely a reply to the original post ".25 ACP as Primary?"

My answer, nope, not for me. It may work, but I think there are better choices.

(My mistake was to try to expand on those circumstances when it might work, not as a recommendation but as an acknowledgement that they exist.)
Old August 16, 2018, 08:05 PM   #133
davidsog

Quote:
davidsog here is the point: The intent of drawing a weapon is to stop the attack, not to shoot the attacker. If in the course of drawing and pointing my weapon the attacker changes his mind I have no legal justification to shoot him. You insist on applying a one-size-fits-all answer to a complex question. Good luck.
Show me where I have said "one size fits all"? That is YOUR addition to what I have written. You have been stuck on some silly declaration I said you have to shoot something like it is some kind of gurka knife ritual.

Think about it and how one dimensional that premise is and get back to me.
Old August 16, 2018, 08:17 PM   #134
davidsog

Quote:
Wow - sorry my reply to this thread caused it to spiral (or even continue).

I'll summarize my first post, which was solely a reply to the original post ".25 ACP as Primary?"

My answer, nope, not for me. It may work, but I think there are better choices.

(My mistake was to try to expand on those circumstances when it might work, not as a recommendation but as an acknowledgement that they exist.)
It is not your fault, the internet is not the smartest thing on the planet.
Old August 16, 2018, 08:30 PM   #135
Sharkbite

Quote:
I was always taught never to produce a gun unless your going to use it and never for warning shots. If you do pull it use it
Your words
Old August 16, 2018, 08:45 PM   #136
K_Mac

Quote:
It is not your fault, the internet is not the smartest thing on the planet.
In light of all you've written here, you seem committed to proving this point. I've been taught that if you argue with a fool you are liable to act like one. Good luck.

Last edited by K_Mac; August 16, 2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old August 17, 2018, 12:07 AM   #137
GunXpatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
Yes.

In fact, it is an RG-25. It's one of those pre-1968 German-made "zamak wonders".

When I got it, it was all but a gift since it was a "jam-o-matic". But it wasn't the fault of the gun as much as the prior owner who never cleaned nor oiled it. Plus, the prior owner liked to shoot it and then "drop the mag" like he was in some Hollywood movie, so the magazine was in bad shape. After a good cleaning & oiling and replacement of the magazine, the gun worked perfectly.

At the time, I needed to carry a gun occasionally, but 1) this was before widespread concealed carry, and 2) this was also before I was old enough to legitimately own a pistol, so I carried it in a 1970's style calculator cases. Strangely enough, no officer ever asked to inspect my calculator case.

When widespread concealed carry became a thing, I started carrying my RG because 1) it was concealable, 2) it was reliable and 3) I had carried it enough by that time to trust it with my life.

I continue to do so.

I agree with ice monkey that we're going to get flamed by the set that thinks a gun needs to be so powerful as to decapitate someone if the projectile nicks their ear, but my experience has been different and the RG has been all I have ever needed.

Of course, if I was involved in the drug trade or something like that, I would want to carry an entire arsenal in my waistband, but if gangs of highly motivated assassins working for one of the cartels was not something I expected to face, I would - as I do - find my little 25 ACP to be sufficient.
That's funny! My grandpa had an old RG-26, and I believe some of them actually has some kind of issue where chambering a round caused them to fire lmao. Or was it deactivating the safety? Something like that. But hey, if it works, I can't argue with those results! Truth be told, they're actually cool handguns, if they were only higher quality.
Old August 17, 2018, 12:09 AM   #138
GunXpatriot

I know this thread has pretty much made its rounds, but overall, I'd say it's "not enough". Well, whatever that means.

The best gun is the one you'll carry though! As for me, I probably wouldn't dare go below something like .32 ACP. Basically a higher-caliber .22lr out of a rifle. Which is really no slouch! Though a .380 shouldn't be too much bigger... I dunno, I kind of like the .32, even if it's also not the best option.

Ultimately a gun, no matter what gun it is, will be better than no gun. But hey, if you are carrying a .25, then I'm at least glad you're carrying a good one!
Old August 17, 2018, 12:12 AM   #139
Bill DeShivs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
Billy, the laws here in Nevada are a little different than in California. I'm assuming that's where you live based on your response. Our laws dont have big gapping political holes that open doors for frivolous law suits.

The laws recently changed here and the course was a refresher to renew my permit.
"Billy, the laws here in Nevada are a little different than in California. I'm assuming that's where you live based on your response. Our laws dont have big gapping political holes that open doors for frivolous law suits.

The laws recently changed here and the course was a refresher to renew my permit."

All I can say is that your comprehension of your state laws is seriously wrong. You can not shoot someone unless you are in grave danger. If you think otherwise, you are a fool.

And the proper word is "gaping," not "gapping."

I'm in Tennessee, and I assume you were being facetious with your California remark. Noted.
Old August 17, 2018, 09:05 AM   #140
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

We are way off topic. Silly legal and tactical advice is given which are incorrect or not relevant. Personalities clash.

Thus, closed.