The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2021, 07:50 PM   #1
Jeryray

P210a USA

I have had my P210a for almost a year, fired some 5,000 rounds.
Sees the slide has difficulty going to full battery. I must really snap the slide quickly.

I thought the pistol needed to break in, but is seems worse.

My friend bought one around the same time, his is much better and hardly has any resistance.

I have cleaned an lubed, even polished barrel and slide. No better.

Anyone else have this condition?

TIA
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 2, 2021, 10:51 PM   #2
bac1023

I only own Swiss originals and German Mastershop models. Never had a single issue with any of them.

The American model is....different. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old January 5, 2021, 09:36 PM   #3
Jeryray

So 244 folks have read my post, can anyone tell me if their P210a slides to battery or hangs up a bit?
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 5, 2021, 10:53 PM   #4
rock185

Mine does. A slight bump or hesitation can be felt with my Swiss and German 210s, Baer and Clark 1911s, and my earlier S&W Performance Center guns. And I'm glad they exhibit this characteristic.
Something desirable in very accurate pistols is repeatability, achieved by going into battery as if barrel, slide and frame are a solid piece of steel. All of mine sharing this characteristic have been functionally reliable with a variety of ammunition.

I've read of similar concerns. To avoid customer complaints, I think if I were in the firearms manufacturing business, I might build all of them to Glock type tolerances, or like most of the production Colts I've owned, i.e., "Battle Rattle" loose
Old January 6, 2021, 01:00 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I must really snap the slide quickly.
Could you explain exactly what you mean by this?
Old January 6, 2021, 01:15 AM   #6
Jeryray

Thank you for your experience Rock 185. I have 6-7 other sigs, the 210 is the only tight one.
As I said my friend has a P210a and it doe not have much of the bump.

Snap, means for me means, let go quickly, not a gentle slide rack.
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 6, 2021, 11:02 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

You mean to say you have to smartly rack the slide and let go using a full sling shot action.

Call up Sig. You might get an even better resolution than asking around. Something like this is immediately guess diagnosed as your recoil springs, but there could be an out of wack slide variation issue too.
Old January 6, 2021, 01:51 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Snap, means for me means, let go quickly, not a gentle slide rack.
If, when chambering the first round, you pull the slide all the way back and release it, so it closes under spring tension ONLY (or release it from its locked open position) without any help or hinderance from you holding the slide and the gun chambers the round ok.

when you "ride the slide" you get a hangup and the slide doesn't want to go fully into battery.

Is this correct?

Because, if it is, your pistol is working normally and correctly. There is nothing to fix, because there is nothing wrong with the gun.

A "gentle slide rack" , where you hold the slide and control the speed of it closing is actually working against the design and intent of the mechanism, and is one of the more common reasons for malfunctions.

If I am understanding things correctly, the problem is not the gun, it is your understanding that a "gentle slide rack" should work flawlessly and in reality, the gun isn't designed for that. IF a "gentle slide rack" happens to work reliably on your gun or several of your guns, that's serendipity, not intentional design.

Pull the slide all the way back, release it smartly and completely, do not cause any drag. The gun should work normally.

The gun malfunctioning because you are retarding the closing of the slide is not a design flaw, it is operator error.

If I am misunderstanding what you are doing, please, enlighten me.
Old January 6, 2021, 02:19 PM   #9
Sanch

Hi Jeryray,

I no experience with the Sig P210. I believe it's Sig's precision target pistol.

I do have experience with a few "P" series all metal handguns. Not a single one has ever failed to do a darn thing. They have demonstrated flawless performance. My guess is a Sig P229 cannot be worn out. It's probably good for hundreds of thousands of rounds.

My advice is to call Sig's customer service to arrange shipment of your handgun to Sig for problem identification and resolution. My thought is any precision made target handgun should be flawless before it leaves its factory.

Sig was and I hope still is within the top-tier of double-action semis manufacturers. I'm a 1911-A1 aficionado by DNA, but Sig all metal double-actions have my attention. They're superior to excellent handguns.
Old January 6, 2021, 04:48 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

The P210 has almost nothing in common with the SIG-SAUER P series pistols such as the P220, P228, P229 etc. They are much different designs.

Quote:
My thought is any precision made target handgun should be flawless before it leaves its factory.
Generally I would agree with this. In this case, I have not yet seen it clearly established if the "fault" the user is reporting is due to the gun, or the user.
Old January 6, 2021, 08:37 PM   #11
10-96

My 210A Target shows no signs such as yours. It slams home as I believe it should.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 6, 2021, 09:32 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Your recoil assembly or your slide will be replaced by Sig if you send it in.

I would bet a doughnut on it.

(Assuming you follow AMPs comments--don't ride the slide to close with your hand)
Old January 7, 2021, 08:09 PM   #13
Sanch

Hi 44 AMP,

Thanks for the much needed info. I appreciated it.
Old January 8, 2021, 01:36 AM   #14
Jeryray

Called sig, explained as I did here. They say I can send it in, but it sounds normal
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 9, 2021, 02:34 PM   #15
jag2

If the slide goes into battery every time you fire a round then there is no problem with the gun. I've had mine about a year and it has been flawless.
My only complaint is the mags. I have five mags but maybe only one or two are the problem. They don't seems to like it when I fell them up so they just spit one out. Just laying on a bench I'll see a round roll by for no reason at all. May stop once the springs soften up. Not really a problem, just a little odd.
Old January 9, 2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Jeryray

Thanks for the reply. Yes, shoots very well, no jams.

Although I did have to slightly adjust the ears on some of the magazines, because they did not feed correctly. All is fine now, 6 mags works. I only load 5 rounds per string though.
Installed a red dot. Viper pro. Sight mount was from Armory craft.
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 9, 2021, 04:21 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

Duder...you didn't mention at the start you have a sight on your slide that hasn't been cut for it

(weight)
Old January 10, 2021, 12:57 AM   #18
Jeryray

Viper pro. Sight mount was from Armory craft.

Like 1 ounce
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 10, 2021, 01:01 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Pistol mounted sights don't usually add much more weight than the milling required for their installation removes. Did the issues in question occur before the red dot was installed, or did you go straight to using it with a red dot?
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 10, 2021, 02:59 PM   #20
rc

5000 rounds? That's a lot of shooting. Maybe your extractor is full of crap.
Old January 10, 2021, 08:22 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Sounds an awful lot like a weak recoil spring to me. Those usually need to be replaced every 3,000 rounds or so.