The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 23, 2020, 09:45 AM   #51
FITASC

Quote:
If the reason was sold out and they had it listed as being in stock, that would be kind of weak
In the days of major department stores like Sears, that was called "Bait & Switch" and was found to be illegal
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 23, 2020, 04:41 PM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATN082268
I wouldn't call it too clever. What was the original reason to cancel the order? If the reason was sold out and they had it listed as being in stock, that would be kind of weak
They didn't cancel the order, they put it on backorder. Since there is a law about how such things must work, a month later they sent me a notice that they expected to have it in stock in ___ days, and offered me the opportunity to cancel. By this time I had already seen the identical jacket (with a different stock number) in their catalog, and we had already bought the jacket at a local Army-Navy store because it was needed for a Christmas gift, so I decided to play the game. I sent back the notice asking to keep my back order on file.

We went though this little dance every month for the next six or eight months. They would send me a card saying they expected to have it in stock within ___ days, and offering me the opportunity to cancel. I would look on the web site and see the same jacket, with a different SKU and a higher price, and I would send back the card asking to maintain my backorder. I guess they finally realized that I was onto their little game and wasn't going to cancel my order, so they eventually cancelled it.
Jeepaholic
Old December 23, 2020, 06:40 PM   #53
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
They didn't cancel the order, they put it on backorder. Since there is a law about how such things must work, a month later they sent me a notice that they expected to have it in stock in ___ days, and offered me the opportunity to cancel. By this time I had already seen the identical jacket (with a different stock number) in their catalog, and we had already bought the jacket at a local Army-Navy store because it was needed for a Christmas gift, so I decided to play the game. I sent back the notice asking to keep my back order on file.

We went though this little dance every month for the next six or eight months. They would send me a card saying they expected to have it in stock within ___ days, and offering me the opportunity to cancel. I would look on the web site and see the same jacket, with a different SKU and a higher price, and I would send back the card asking to maintain my backorder. I guess they finally realized that I was onto their little game and wasn't going to cancel my order, so they eventually cancelled it.
I would have documented everything and sent it to the BBB in addition to a few bureaucracies and legal agencies. Well worth the several Emails And then never shop there again...
Old December 23, 2020, 09:06 PM   #54
Onward Allusion

These threads are laughable.

There's always the "no one's holding gun....blah, blah, blah" argument. Probably the same people who wholeheartedly believe in the NRA and its illustrious leader as they fleece their members...'cause you know, it's just about being an American & Capitalism.

Regardless of whether it's called profiteering or price gouging, these jokers are taking advantage of a situation. If so many States have decided that guns & ammo are essential (even in this State of ILL), then why isn't jacking up prices on ammo beyond what is reasonable not price gouging?

Last edited by Onward Allusion; December 23, 2020 at 10:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old December 23, 2020, 10:46 PM   #55
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Regardless of whether it's called profiteering or price gouging, these jokers are taking advantage of a situation.
Taking advantage of a situation is considered to be good business sense. How you take advantage of the situation may not be good business sense. CTD may not have chosen wisely.
Old December 23, 2020, 11:02 PM   #56
Onward Allusion

Don't just take a snippet. That's cheap. What should I have said for emphasis? These clowns are taking advantage of a situation? There's good business strategy and then there's charging 5x for a box of FMJ.
Old December 24, 2020, 10:50 AM   #57
TXAZ

And as we speak, CTD has lowered their price for 100 rounds of 9mm Winchester to.....
Only $1.20 per round!

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/winc...027103100.html

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 24, 2020, 04:00 PM   #58
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My age is showing. I still remember when I could buy as many of those as I wanted in Walmart for $15.99/box.
Jeepaholic
Old December 24, 2020, 04:52 PM   #59
FITASC

Quote:

There's always the "no one's holding gun....blah, blah, blah" argument. Probably the same people who wholeheartedly believe in the NRA and its illustrious leader as they fleece their members...'cause you know, it's just about being an American & Capitalism.

Regardless of whether it's called profiteering or price gouging, these jokers are taking advantage of a situation. If so many States have decided that guns & ammo are essential (even in this State of ILL), then why isn't jacking up prices on ammo beyond what is reasonable not price gouging?
Because some of us understand basic Econ 101
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 24, 2020, 05:55 PM   #60
reddog81

A large part of the problem is that stores don’t raise their prices fast enough. Once the shelves are empty and everyone is panicking because they can’t find ammo it’s too late. People just start panic buying everything they can get their hands on.
Old December 31, 2020, 04:37 AM   #61
DT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post

And who decides what's 'reasonable'?

Let me guess-the government (Attorneys General and such)?

No thanks.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old December 31, 2020, 04:55 AM   #62
TruthTellers

Reading thru the responses, I guess that when that guy who tripled the price of the Epipen and gave no reason for doing so and made funny faces when questioned by Congress, he was within his right to do that even tho people who needed that medicine in the event they had some severe allergic reaction were going to have to pay hundreds more that that was okay, gov't need not interfere?

If you're gonna say that life saving medications are an exception, then you'd say food is also an exception because you can't live without food. Why not ammunition? People in the cities where the riots were taking place 6 months ago who were not already gun owners felt they needed something for protection, but ammo was sold out near everywhere. I guess the response there is they should have bought sooner and that's not an excuse.

It is immoral and IMO illegal to capitalize on people's fear of death to make a massive profit. If the choice is go into debt or die we have a fundamental problem in the country.

CTD should be abolished, they're scum and it's unfortunate they haven't gone out of business yet thru normal means of boycotting, so if Texas feels they can get them on gouging, fine. I'm not going to miss them.
Old December 31, 2020, 07:27 AM   #63
Ed4032

They should at least change their name. But I still won’t shop there. My decision.
Old December 31, 2020, 08:35 AM   #64
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
And who decides what's 'reasonable'?

Let me guess-the government (Attorneys General and such)?

No thanks.

Larry
Again, if you don't like the law, then work to change it. It is what it is.

Quote:
Reading thru the responses, I guess that when that guy who tripled the price of the Epipen and gave no reason for doing so and made funny faces when questioned by Congress, he was within his right to do that even tho people who needed that medicine in the event they had some severe allergic reaction were going to have to pay hundreds more that that was okay, gov't need not interfere?

If you're gonna say that life saving medications are an exception, then you'd say food is also an exception because you can't live without food. Why not ammunition? People in the cities where the riots were taking place 6 months ago who were not already gun owners felt they needed something for protection, but ammo was sold out near everywhere. I guess the response there is they should have bought sooner and that's not an excuse.

It is immoral and IMO illegal to capitalize on people's fear of death to make a massive profit. If the choice is go into debt or die we have a fundamental problem in the country.
Mylan paid a $465 million settlement for their price hike. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/17/myla...epartment.html

So just what is the acceptable level of profit that should be able to be made? Who determines the proper level? Just curious as there is no law stating what level of profit is appropriate. I remember when Bill Gates was testifying before congress and a congressman asked how much profit was made on Windows and Gates said something like 30% per unit and the congressman claimed that much profit was "un-American."
Old December 31, 2020, 01:26 PM   #65
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think this discussion has about run its course.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread