The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 20, 2021, 03:45 PM   #26
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Realistically, most of the extra magazines I own, will end up in an estate sale, new in package, when I die. I have a hunch we all have FAR more than we will ever need.
Heh, you're spot on as far as I'm concerned. Kinda sad actually. Got more toys than time.
Old January 20, 2021, 04:59 PM   #27
silver-bullet

Magazines are so well made these days that 3 or 4 is probably more than you’ll ever need. Of course if hi-cap mags become a banned item, their value will only increase as supply dwindles.....
Old January 20, 2021, 11:56 PM   #28
Brian Williams

I think for my G19 I have 3 normal, 2 G17 mags with spacers, 2 G17 mags with +2 base plates and spacers. I might have a G19 with a +2 base plate also.
Old January 21, 2021, 12:19 AM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
My IDPA and USPSA guns, I like to have enough magazines to load in advance and shoot a typical club level match.
Yup, a really good point.

When I'm going to shoot a match, I don't want to be loading magazines during the match.
  • I like being able to watch other competitors shoot to pick up on things for shooting that stage instead of loading.
  • I like knowing that I loaded my mags in a controlled environment and was very careful to get the right number of rounds in each one.
  • I like being able to rest my hands between stages instead of messing with ammo and magazines.
  • I like not having to mess with loose ammo where it could be dropped in the dirt or dropped and lost.
  • I like not having to re-use mags at a match after they have potentially been dropped and dirtied.
Old January 21, 2021, 03:05 AM   #30
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
....I only own three autos.

Being concerned that someday that 13-15 round Browning H.P. mags will again be restricted at the national level...

So at this point I have 14 7-round 1911 .45 ACP mags, 11 .38 Super 1911 mags and 10 Browning High Power mags...a couple 13 rounds the rest 15 rounds.

Do I have enough magazines?
Obviously the answer depends on how many rounds you shoot a month.
But if hi-cap mags should become “restricted” it will most likely mirror Trump’s executive order that banned bump-stocks in 2018.
Legal one day...a felony the next. So you may want to keep that in mind.
Old January 21, 2021, 07:14 PM   #31
10-96

Quote:
But if hi-cap mags should become “restricted” it will most likely mirror Trump’s executive order that banned bump-stocks in 2018.
Legal one day...a felony the next. So you may want to keep that in mind.
True, betting on a Grandfather Clause is never a safe bet.

I like to have 5 clips for anything I may carry, but I'm OK with 3 for range only pistols. One thing I may start investing in is springs, a few followers, and base plates.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.