The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2020, 12:23 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

CVA Accura V2, Blackhorn 209 and Federal BOR Lock MZ

Hey gang,

Long time no talk... probably many of you who don't even remember me being around!

Anyhoo, my query is, as the title suggests, not strictly "black powder" but it is muzzleloading so I thought I'd put it here rather than the hunting side...

I have a shiny brand new CVA Accura v2 (open sights) in which I plan to use Blackhorn 209 (with the CVA Blackhorn breech plug) and Federal BOR Lock MZ 270gr bullets, for Mule Deer at the moment and probably for elk in future years.

Anybody shot such a combination?
Old August 21, 2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Pahoo

Range time is in order !!

Quote:
Anybody shot such a combination?
You are really pinning this down and no I have not shat this "exact" string but equal to and even heavier in 250 and 250+. So far, I see not problem with this part of your shot-string. As long as you stay within the load specs of CVA, You should be fine. What about some optics ???

Be Safe !!!
Old August 21, 2020, 01:47 PM   #3
stagpanther

Don't know that particular bullet--I shoot Aero Tip ELR's through my CVA Paramount and they are spectacularly accurate and efficient for a muzzleloader. Your's has a Bergara barrel as well, so I'd expect it to shoot as well. Might even be worth exploring a sabbot sleeve for use with the .45 cal Aerotip bullets in your .50 cal barrel.
Old August 22, 2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hey guys
Thanks for the thoughts

I’m in Colorado, so optics and sabots are both no-no.

I didn’t exactly clarify that, but the choices are made to follow the laws. No optics, no sabots, no pelleted or smokeless powder.

If I could do it my way, it’d be a Savage ML-10II with a nice scope, Vvh 120 powder and Barnes Spitfire TMZ bullets.... but, alas, it ain’t up to me.
Old August 22, 2020, 01:55 PM   #5
arcticap

There's many reviews for that bullet on the retailer websites.

They seem to have mostly 4 and 5 star reviews. --->>> https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/bulle...70-grains.html

On 2/21/20, Dan A. posted: "Shot a cow elk this year and hit her on the run at 50 yards and hit little back found bullet on the off side shoulder perfectly mushroomed . shoots well out of my accura v 2 I will say it shoots better out of my gun than the power belts do. "

I noticed that there's also a 350 grain lead version. --->>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016738818

Last edited by arcticap; August 22, 2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old August 23, 2020, 01:25 AM   #6
stagpanther

I do have an old .50 TC Impact though I never use it since I got the paramount, I'll be interested to hear your results.
Old September 10, 2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well gents,

I got her sighted in as good as she's going to get. I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering my old eyes and that I haven't fired an open sight long gun in literally decades.

I decided to shoot left handed also, since my left eye is much, much better than my right. If I shoot right handed I have to close my left eye or I can't even see the sight picture (my brain basically ignores my right eye) but if I shoot left handed I don't have to close my right eye, although I functionally see as if it's "closed" anyway.

50 yards, in a rest.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target.JPG (39.3 KB, 305 views)
Old September 10, 2020, 11:20 AM   #8
FrontierGander

100gr BH209 with that 270gr bore loc was a great shooting combo in an accura v2 i tested.