The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 19, 2017, 04:53 PM   #51
kyguy1

I love stainless. I like the weight of it and easy to clean. I had a used Smith 19 once that was nickel plated which very closely resembles glossy stainless, but had quite a bit of smudge and wear of the plating compared to stainless which essentially never wears. If a gun is stainless, not all are created equal, some are the brushed finish which I personally don't like, they feel/look cheaper to me. If it's stainless I like the glossy, Ruger-like finish, like on their gorgeous single action revolvers. Feels and looks better to me. I prefer blued finish the most though. Some modern guns have the blued look while being stainless steel which gives the best of both worlds. I think my modern Bulldog has that, but not sure.
Old March 19, 2017, 09:17 PM   #52
loknload

My first handgun I ever purchased was a SS Ruger New Model Blackhawk.
After that I thought SS was the was to go for maintaining and keeping them clean. Well that lasted so long because my next purchase was a vey nicely blued brand new Smith Md#37. So keeping everything SS didn't last long!
I have my share of both and I've even added a few nickel plated to my collection!
I forgot to mention,,,even though I do maintain them and they get cleaned after any range time....I still hate cleaning them blued or stainless!

Last edited by loknload; March 19, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old March 26, 2017, 06:06 PM   #53
North East Redneck

I own Stainless revolvers, I like them. Stainless pistols, not for me. Nothing wrong with them at all, just don't care for the look.
Old March 28, 2017, 06:33 AM   #54
PatientWolf

What I'd like to find is a blued, black nitride or parkerized finish on a stainless steel 1911 if those finishes are even compatible with stainless. I'd get the look I want with the durability of the stainless.

Although the last couple weeks I've been drooling over a blued ATI 1911 and a blued Colts Competition. I guess stainless would be better with all that drooling going on.
Old March 28, 2017, 11:59 AM   #55
Model12Win

I don't mind and actually really like stainless revolvers.

But autos? Not for me. SOMETIMES it's okay on certain guns like Walther PPKs and a few others, but in general, make mine blued or otherwise black. I especially think 1911s look really bad in all stainless, and it seems it's becoming really common for manufacturers to bring out guns with that finish option only. I'm looking at you Colt (the new Delta Elite)!!
Old March 28, 2017, 01:55 PM   #56
SIGSHR

Have only two, a Security Industries 38 snub and my AMT Hardballer. No CCW-
New Jersey-hence carrying is not an issue. Skeeter Skelton said there were no advantages to stainless in the Sonora Desert where he lived.
Old March 30, 2017, 02:07 PM   #57
Armybrat

Well, I'm a fat guy in Texas where we can carry and sweat a lot.

Old March 30, 2017, 02:18 PM   #58
roashooter

SS has its place....blued have its place....but I abhor plastic....plastic has no soul.....
Old March 30, 2017, 03:44 PM   #59
stephen426

I have stainless, blued, blackened stainless, and polymer guns. I used to hate stainless guns and thought they were gaudy. They have since grown on me, but not for carry. I have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that is hard Chromed, but with a brushed finish. I also have a stainless Springfield Loaded in 9mm. Recently I added a Les Baer Concept V (full size stainless 1911) and a Ruger Mark III Hunter in stainless. While this isn't stainless, when I saw the Sig P210 in Silver and I could not resist and had to buy one.

compared to

As for blackened stainless guns, those would be the Sig P229 and the Kahr PM9. For carry, I prefer blacked/blued guns since they are less flashy and less likely to be noticed if there was accidental exposure.
Old March 30, 2017, 04:40 PM   #60
Cheapshooter

Don't really mind stainless. Have a couple in the "accumulation". NAA Mini, Charter Bulldog, S&W 645, Kahr CM9 that has a stainless slide, T/C Contender G2 (frame, and two of my eight barrels). and a 10-22 takedown.
A couple more shiny silver beauties on my short list as well.
What I don't like is all the Technicolor guns out there now. Not even completely happy with my Kel-Tec PMR-30 being tan. But for the price, and availability I couldn't pass it up.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 30, 2017, 07:24 PM   #61
Guv

I have room for both stainless and blued handguns. What I am growing tired of is all the matted out plastic stuff today.
Although a shiny Glock or other plastic framed semi would look pretty gamey, in my opinion.
Old March 30, 2017, 07:43 PM   #62
turkeestalker

Quote:
plastic has no soul
Amen brother!
Old March 30, 2017, 07:58 PM   #63
lefteye

My plastic LCP and LC9 aren't silver but they don't rust!
Old March 31, 2017, 12:02 AM   #64
Sgt127

Hi, in Sgt127 and, I'm a free sweater.

Not normal sweat.

Military grade, Haz Mat, weaponized sweat. If I shove a blue gun in my waistband and carry it for 2 hours in the summer in Texas, it will be brown.

My concealed carry guns are hard chromed or stainless.
I have an SP101 and a S&W 65 3" that I carry alot. I have to keep them wiped down too but, not nearly as much.

I coat the grip frames with Boeshield. About every two weeks, I take the grips off and scrub the rust off with a bronze brush and Hoppes. And, recoat with Boeshield or CorrosionX.

I have a Sig P239 that's stainless and alloy. I had all the controls hard chromed. I carry appendix, in a holster. Not long ago, I found rust in the freaking barrel.

I have a nice selection of blued guns of all kinds. But, for carry, I'll take stainless every time.
Old March 31, 2017, 12:16 AM   #65
CCCLVII

I like case hardened the best. Out of Blued and stainless Ill take stainless every time.

I also like pearl grips... Yeah I like guns that George Patton would mock, but I like what I like.
Old April 7, 2017, 06:50 PM   #66
SansSouci

It's not that I don't like stainless steel, it's that I like blued steel more. I'm old school.
Old April 7, 2017, 08:42 PM   #67
lee n. field

Quote:
when I saw the Sig P210 in Silver and I could not resist and had to buy one.

Is that P210 stainless, or nickel? Without looking it up I'd bet it was nickel.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 7, 2017, 10:34 PM   #68
stephen426

@lee n. field,

It is silver PVD coating. Something about the silver and the wooden grips on that gun just short circuited my brain and caused my fingers to involuntarily click the order button.
Old April 8, 2017, 12:16 AM   #69
75218ron

LOL...remember a gun is only a tool, they say....hahaha
Old April 8, 2017, 10:22 AM   #70
Rogervzv

I like stainless guns:

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Old April 8, 2017, 08:56 PM   #71
mr bolo

never owned one

I prefer traditional blued steel or military parkerized

the same as the military

maybe if I needed it for MARITIME USE on a vessel
Old April 9, 2017, 11:52 AM   #72
223 shooter

Depends - as much as I like deeply blued revolvers like the old Colt Pythons and vintage Smiths I don't have a problem at all with my 686/629 stainless revolvers. Some revolvers like the Ruger GP100 are not blued very good to begin with and I would much rather have them in stainless.

In semi autos I just have not warmed up to the look of most stainless 1911s . Then again most 1911s these days have the dull looking parkerized finish , not a real traditional blue finish. On the other hand I once traded in a US made Walther PPK/S blue for the same model in stainless.
Old April 9, 2017, 02:51 PM   #73
Armybrat

I like this slick polished stainless on my New Vaquero...

Old April 13, 2017, 08:25 PM   #74
Drm50

I don't like stainless or the baked on colors. I just want plain old blue. I bought
a m63 Kit Gun to carry fishing. I have never carried it, just can't abide a shiney
Pistol.
Old April 13, 2017, 10:40 PM   #75
chuckscap

I like both stainless and blued.