The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 29, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Gary Slider

New Mexico Drops Numerous States From Handgunlaw.us

New Mexico has dropped Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas & West Virginia from the list of states they honored.

New Mexico will now only honor 5 states which are Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota & Oklahoma.

Of the states they dropped.
Colorado, Delaware, Louisiana, Ohio and West Virginia will drop New Mexico for sure as these states require Signed Agreements or the other state must honor them before they will honor that state.

Arkansas and Texas will most likely drop New Mexico but I am not 100% positive on that but 99% sure they will from what both states have done in the past.

Kansas will continue to honor New Mexico as they list states they will honor based on a states law being similar to theirs without the other state honoring them.

Michigan & Tennessee honor all other states and will continue to honor New Mexico.

William Hubbard is the new man in charge of the NMPDS Concealed Carry Unit. He is the one making these decisions. From what I understand he is the one who is appointed by law to make the decisions. This major change by one person is most likely making huge waves in New Mexico. We will never learn just how big of waves but I believe there is a tsunami brewing.

Every state that boarders New Mexico except for Oklahoma which only has the Tip of its Panhandle touching New Mexico are now not welcome in New Mexico if they carry a firearm. All those citizens were welcome in the not to distant past. Also Colorado and most likely Texas will drop New Mexico and then citizens of New Mexico will not be welcome in those states if they want to carry their defensive firearm. That will cause a lot of calls, emails and letters to start flowing to politicians and an election is coming up. Those Politicians don’t want any waves right now that they don’t need. So it will be very interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. I am hoping for the best. I also what to say I don’t know anymore about the Why’s of this any more than you do.

I am updating all the States pages at www.handgunlaw.us to reflect this change in who New Mexico Honors and who will honor them. It is a lot of work and hoping to get it all up late this evening. I have just returned from a weekend away. The Create a Map Application is the tough job. To make a state blue showing it honors another state is simple. To change it to show it doesn’t honor it any longer requires Steve to completely rebuild a new map for each state. That change will not happen for awhile and I will put that info on the Notice Page for the Create a Map Application.

FYI

NMDPS Concealed Carry Unit
6301 Indian School Rd NE Ste. 310
Albuquerque, NM 87110
(505) 841-8053

http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-concealed-carry/
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old April 29, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Sefner

Thanks for all your work on this, Gary, this is good info.

Is there any reason as to why NM dropped these states?
Old April 30, 2012, 09:20 AM   #3
HarrySchell

I doubt it could be a revenue grab, but maybe. Not a neighborly thing to do with the adjacent states like TX, which provides a lot of tourists to NM.

Where was Hubbard before his elevation in NM? Los Angeles CA?
Old April 30, 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Every state that boarders New Mexico except for Oklahoma which only has the Tip of its Panhandle touching New Mexico are now not welcome in New Mexico if they carry a firearm.
This statement is in error. Vehicle carry is legal in NM regardless of what state the person is from and throughout most jurisdictions, open carry is allowed. All that is being disallowed is concealed carry by permit outside of one's residence, private property, or vehicle. That is a major point, of course, but not as bad as is being claimed.

see... http://www.opencarry.org/nm.html
Old April 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, we used to go to Santa Fe for grins. Guess not.

Stupid.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
HarrySchell

I read through the class requirements for NM on their website. Having just taken the class for CA, it appears the NM class is an hour shorter, all the subjects covered, but NM thinks is not close enough to the NM class for a CA permit to be honored.

The only area where the class might be somewhat short is in conflict resolution training, which TX does pretty well. Everything else is covered well, but maybe that is the school I went to.

Now, CA has its nose in the air and nobody's program is good enough for CA to honor anybody else's permits. A number of states honor CA permits, IIRC.

This is not a good way forward.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
m.p.driver

Last couple of years we have traveled to Arizona at least once a year.This last time we included New Mexico,but i guess that was the first and now last time.
Old April 30, 2012, 04:09 PM   #8
AH.74

Harry- CA's class is 16 hours? The one closest to NM's 15 hours that I knew of was TX's 10 hours.
Old April 30, 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
William Hubbard is the new man in charge of the NMPDS Concealed Carry Unit. He is the one making these decisions. From what I understand he is the one who is appointed by law to make the decisions. This major change by one person is most likely making huge waves in New Mexico.
Am I understanding you correctly- CCW reciprocity in NM is determined solely by ONE bureaucrat?!?

If so... wow.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:45 PM   #10
JerryM

Many thanks, Gary, for the update. Somehow we need to get the law so that this type of nit-picking will not disqualify other states. I doubt that will be easy.

I am glad for my FL, AZ, and Utah CHL. Having a NM license is not going to get us very far now.
Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:36 AM   #11
HarrySchell

AH.74...The CA class is 16 hours, 10 hours class and 6 on the range. You fire 200 rounds on your primary gun and 75 for each additional, from various ranges. We covered failure drills, clearing jams, fired from 3 to 15 yards. A lot of related stuff and extensive discussion of laws in CA. It was a good class for anyone thinking about using a firearm in self-defense. Most attendees were from counties which support CCW, I am not.
Old May 1, 2012, 02:13 PM   #12
AH.74

Thanks for the info, Harry. Your live-fire also far exceeds ours, which is only 25 shots per semi and revolver if you want to qualify with each.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:03 PM   #13
SamNavy

Am I hearing correctly that a CA CCW requires you to qualify with a particular weapon, and that you're only allowed to carry that one? How many weapons can you qualify with? Is it written on the card?

I know that most people probably only have 1 weapon that they CCW, but a lot have 2 or 3... or more. Can you qualify on additional weapons at a future date? How does that work?
Old May 1, 2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Nevada does this. If you are concealed carrying a gun not on your permit, then you are illegally carrying the gun. This came up in the Erik Scott case where he was carrying a Ruger that was not on his permit.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/officer-tes...103943584.html

In Nevada, you can have multiple guns on your permit, but you have to qualify with each. I don't know if there is a limit or not.
Old May 1, 2012, 04:44 PM   #15
AH.74

NM lists both revolver and semi on the license- and for each, the highest caliber you have qualified with. So for instance, if you qualify with a 9mm or .38, you cannot carry a .40 or .44 respectively.

Later, if you want to add the larger caliber you must qualify and send in the paperwork to have a new license issued.

Some people just use a .45 for each so as not to have this concern.
Old May 1, 2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

As it turns out, NM has decided not to drop the states Gary listed in the OP. He's opened a new thread on the matter, so let's take further discussion to that one.

Gary, thanks for staying on top of this.
Closed Thread