The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2005, 07:07 PM   #1
uclajd

Getting back into reloading, question on Hornady dies

Hi, I'm getting back into reloading after like 15 years and looking at progressive presses. My Hornady Projector just fell apart, a total piece of crap (is the Lock-N-Load improved over the Projector?). I have Hornady's Titanium Nitride dies for all my calibers. My question is, will dies from one company fit in different companies' presses? (I've heard that the Lee Pro 1000 won't take other companies' dies). I'd like to avoid another Hornady press if possible. It just fell apart on me. TIA, great forums BTW.
Old July 14, 2005, 07:13 PM   #2
m0ntels

As far as I know the only presses that dont take standard dies that are still made are the Square Deal B, the Lyman hand tool, and one of the goofy RCBS presses. All the others should be 7/8-16 or whatever it is.

Dont have a new LNL press but I sure do want one!

Randy
Old July 15, 2005, 02:35 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

good dies

Can recommend single-stage Redding, RCBS, Forster/Bonanza, Lyman presses.

Or Dillon (XL650).

Last edited by WESHOOT2; July 15, 2005 at 02:36 PM. Reason: how fast doya wanna go?
Old August 4, 2005, 08:28 PM   #4
roc1

Hornady press

I am new to forum.I do own the Hornady Lock N Load AP press and the Classic single stage both are great.I also own the Dillon Square Deal and the old Starr press.All of these presses work great.Hornady and Dillon both have great customer service.I like the AP because of ease and low cost of caliber changes.It also works on rifle.I just load pistol on progressive machines though.
You would be happy with any of these
roc1
Old August 10, 2005, 04:40 PM   #5
MADISON

Hornady's L-N-L Progressive

To make it easier to change dies Hornady has removed the helicore that you would nornally have in a single stage press. Then they inserted an adapter to go with the adapter you put on your die.
Yes, the Hornady's L-N-L Progressive takes standard dies, AFTER YOU BUY AND INSTALL THE ADAPTERS. If my Projector ever quits I will get a L-N-L progressive.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:15 PM   #6
daileyservices

Projector & Dies

Yes, most dies are STANDARD, as mentioned in one chap's post, only RCBS and some others are non-standard. My Projector is as old as the hills and works swell.. BUT... you MUST lubricate the little chisel-point pawls at the bottom, otherwise the lubricant gets hard, and the press quits advancing - this NOT in the manual.
Old November 9, 2011, 07:05 PM   #7
flashhole

Lyman 310 dies used in the 310 press and Jr. Turret press are not the standard 7/8" X 14 threads per inch. RCBS dies are standard dies, in fact, most references to dies and shell holders call out RCBS as the standard. Your Hornady dies will work in other presses. Sorry about your press experience, I've had bad experience with Hornady equipment too and will not recommend it to a reloader.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 9, 2011, 08:10 PM   #8
frumious

I wonder what RCBS press doesn't take standard dies.... I have a Pro2000 progressive and a Reloader-Special-5 single stage and they take standard dies. I have read a lot about the "legendary" Rock Chucker single stage and have never gotten the impression it anything but standard dies.

-cls
Old November 9, 2011, 08:17 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

The RCBS Rock Chucker has a threaded bushing that's removeable for a 1 1/4 die set. Usually die sets made in that size are for the big british double rifle calibers.
Old November 9, 2011, 08:45 PM   #10
flashhole

Or shotgun shell dies or 50 BMG.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 9, 2011, 09:17 PM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I own both a LNL AP and a Projector. The LNL AP is bit better than the Projector, with repect to indexing, priming system, and ejecting completed shells. The AP is a touch bigger, too.

I have virtually zero problems with either press. The bushings on the AP make die changes very quick. I like them. If you don't mind screwing dies in and out and don't wanna buck up $3/bushing, then the bushings that COME WITH THE PRESS can be left in the press and you can screw dies in and out.

I have one press set up for lg primers and the other setup for small primers.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 9, 2011, 11:34 PM   #12
hootey

Hornady ?

I have a LEE progressive and a LEE challenger press'. Have been using them for years. I use LEE, HORNADY, RCBS, REDDING, & FORSTER dies. I like something about all of them. I have a complete set of Hornady Custom 22-250 dies & really like it. The bullet seating die is simply "Set & Forget", seat bullets within .001" everytime. All the dies work on my LEE press' just fine. All the equipment; ie: dies, trimmers, etc get cleaned & oiled from time to time as needed. Never had a hornady press, the dies I have work great.