The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Kimio

Looking for some nice electronic ear protection

I'm not entirely sure where to start here, I've heard that Howard Leight is a pretty good brand, but outside of that I don't know much.

I'm looking for some nice ear muffs that have a built in speaker or what have you that aids in hearing people talking to you but doesn't allow the gun shots come through.

My uncle had a pair and I really liked them. My budget is anywhere from 50-70 some dollars, though I'd prefer to try and keep them as affordable as possible.

Might anyone have some suggestions?

Last edited by Kimio; October 11, 2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old October 11, 2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Walklightly

I got a cheap pair from Sportsmanguide.com for about $20. They work pretty well.

I still double up though.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:20 AM   #3
AirForceShooter

Look at the Peltor's

I have the pro-6 they work great.

AFS
Old October 13, 2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

Look at the Caldwell's and the Walker's game ears. The Caldwells only have 1 microphone is each muff so you don't hear things in true stereo (per their ads). I think I got mine from Midway for under $30. My Walker's have 2 microphones in each muff but did cost a bit more. I watched and searched on Ebay and finally got a pair NIB for under $100. The stereo sound in the Walker's is far better than the Caldwell's.
Old October 13, 2011, 07:48 PM   #5
saands

I have had a couple of different models over the years. I currently use the Peltor Tactical 6S (behind the head) model.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/157...-nrr-19db-gray

The only thing that I don't like about them is that battery changes are not the most convenient. Once you get the hang of it, they aren't too bad, but that aspect could be better designed. If you like to be able to wear a hat, you should really consider this "behind the head" style. With 19dB attenuation, the Peltors work fine in the open, but when shooting indoors (or under a real structural ceiling), I usually "double-plug" ... I wear foam plugs with the Peltors on top ... the benefits are additive, so it makes for a nice quiet experience and you can just turn the volume all the way up on the Peltors and you can still hear range commands quite well. Along those same lines, I always have guests that are new to the shooting sports double-plug ... it really adds to their enjoyment and makes a much better first impression.

Hope this helps,

Saands
Old October 15, 2011, 02:17 AM   #6
redbeard135

I've got the howard leight impact sport ones. I love mine. Theyre relatively inexpensive. I think you can get some for around 45 bucks if you know where to look. I dont wear plugs with them, but I only shoot outdoors.

The seem to hold up really well. Shooting once or twice a week for a total of about 5 hours a week, the batteries lasted for months. I think it might be nice to have some that go behind the head, but I still wear a hat and it doesn't disrupt how well they work at all. Also the profile is really low compared to a lot of other ones I've seen so it doesn't disrupt my cheek weld but YMMV.