The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 6, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
banditt007

4200 mounted on Savage 111 what base/rings?

So the only scopes i have mounted were on a CZ 452 and a marlin 60, both of which the rings clamp right onto the receiver. I am not familiar with the differences between a 'weaver style' and others, and how to tell what rings work with what bases. So a little 101 help would be appreciated.

First I'm mounting a Bushnell elite 4200, 4-12x40 on my Savage 111 30-06.

I've read I should be most likely looking at a 1 piece base for better mounting options due to the long action. On the other hand, I've also read that this scope is 'long' so maybe I can get away with 2 piece bases? I'm not sure.

1 piece base looks a bit annoying to load and unload, and less visually pleasing, but seems to me as if it would have the ring alignment in relation to each other, better than a 2 piece system. (http://www.midwayusa.com:80/viewProd...583&t=11082005) I hear this one works well, and the price is sure right. I have some other B-square products, and they seem well built.

As for rings I keep hearing good things about the burris signature series. The theory seems sound to me.

Finally i hear 'the specs are wrong' on the tube size of the 4200 scope, so i am not sure if its 1" or 30mm ect ect

Last edited by banditt007; September 6, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old September 6, 2009, 08:07 PM   #2
longranger

I have both 1 piece and 2 piece bases, 1 piece bases are stronger,what ever that's worth..30-06 is not the most ferocious of recoil producing of rifle calibers. 2 piece base is fine and look better. As noted by you without a floor plate to unload the 1 piece gets in the way to a degree.I am not a "Weaver style" ring fan, they great on the right application,I like to have windage adjustment on my bases.If you go with Weaver style get the ones that have allen or torx screws no flat blade screws they are hard to torque without buggering up the screws.
I have rifles that the base screw holes have been off a little(T/C is the worst for this) and you will run all of your adjustment out of your scope with the Weaver style rings on some guns which leads you back to windage adjustable rings.
Hope this helps
Old September 6, 2009, 08:50 PM   #3
csmsss

I opted to skip separate rings entirely and went with a Dednutz Game Reaper one piece mount for my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24/50 scope on my Savage 16 in .308. I'm extremely pleased with my selection. The mount couldn't be simpler to install, and completely eliminates the frustration of having to perfectly align and tighten the rings themselves, as they are an integral part of the mount!

I found with my Savage that the medium height mount was of the perfect height for a 50mm objective, and you may be able to use a low mount for your 40mm objective scope.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:45 PM   #4
fireroad

+1 for Deadnutz, or even better....Talley lightweights!
Old September 10, 2009, 05:14 AM   #5
ac700wildcat

+2 for the Dednutz mount. I put a medium mount on my 25-06 with a 3-12x42 Monarch and it looks like I could have gotten away with a low one instead. When I need more mounts I'll definitely be going with Dednutz again.
Old September 10, 2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Wleoff

The trouble with DNZ rings on a Savage is that sometimes the scope mounting holes on the Savage are a little out of line. Savages have great accuracy, but they don't seem to be able to get the scope holes right. I've used Leupold bases and rings on three Savages because the dovetail, on the front ring and the mounting screws, on the rear rings, provide a lot of alignment adjustment. This way, I can get the scope closely aligned before using any of the adjustment in the scope. My Savages are setup for long range varmint hunting, so I need a firm setup with good adjustment. If I was shooting benchrest or F-Class, I'd use a different mounting system probably with a rail and Weaver type rings. Since 30-06 is a hunting round, I'd go with the two-piece Leupold bases and rings.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:38 PM   #7
jon_in_wv

I mounted my Millett TRS-1 on my 7mm Savage with Burris Xtreme 2 piece mounts and Burris Signature rings. I really like the poly inserts so there was no threat of damaging my scope or need to lap the rings. I would definitely use this setup again.

Tags
4200 , base , long action , mount , savage