The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Gunruner

New Here and ? on Pietta 1858(Cabela's)

Hi folks first post here. Long time gunner and single action shooter since 1973. I've shot 1860 Armies from Pietta years ago and found them very accurate and well made. I've been reading and I here ALOT of negative comments on Pietta '58's. Cabela's has them for outstanding prices and their return/exchange policy is terrific. Has anyone here purchased any of these '58's recently and used them? I'd really like to know what to expect and here from those that actually shoot them. Thanks folks..............Mike
Old March 26, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2
long rider

Yep last week, got my 58 36 cal remmy from cabelas
made by pietta,and i like it, its as big as my 58 44 cal,
all i need to do now is a little filing on the front site,
and change out the grips.and it will be one sweet pistol,
when i get my camra in order i will post some pics.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
dmb3006

Pietta 1858 Remington's

I'm very happy with my 2 Remingtons both .36 and .44 The only time I have been to the range I used Triple 7 3f in both guns.Also have Pyrodex P;but the guns shot so well with 777 that I never open the jar of pyrodex.That .36 put 3 out of 6 in one hole at 15yards.The .44 2 in one out of 6 six shots all in 3 inch.I had not fired a CAP&BALL revolver in a long time.Can't wait to get a 51/2 inch .44 and the 8 inch with adjustable rear sight.I just completed a deal on a Ruger OLD Army stainles with xtra cylinder,so my pocket has to heal for awhile.Think its time to by my Wife something nice,before more guns.
Old March 27, 2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Raider2000

I have 2 Pietta 1858 New Armies, one is 23 years old with a 8" barrel & the other is new that I've purchased from Cabelas 5.5" barrel, they are both fine revolvers except like mentioned my new one has a not so great grip "they didn't form it narrow enough" but to me that is just a minor issue easily remedied.

Like Long Rider said about filing the front sight, the Remington designed revolvers usually tend to shoot low when shot at a normal 25 yard target with round ball & with a little patience & a file you can take the front sight down a little to achieve the impact point that you wish with it, kind of like working with the 1860 Armies where they tend to impact high by filing the rear sight a bit.

Pietta had a bad reputation during the late 80's & early 90's for poor workmanship but they are now on par with Uberti in quality & workmanship, if you decide to purchase the 1858 from Cabelas I'm sure you will enjoy it for quite some time..
Old March 27, 2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Hawg

I've got one made in 2000. Other than the thick grips no comlaints.
Old March 27, 2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Gunruner

Thanks folks. How about the windage regulation on these out-of-the-box?........Mike
Old March 27, 2008, 06:21 AM   #7
sundance44s

I`ve owned 5 of the Pietta Remingtons ...out of the box I`d say 2 of the 5 shot to the left by no more than 2 inches at 15 yards and 4 inches low ....the other 3 shot dead center just a little low and needed the front sight filed down a bit . When I do alot of shooting with one , after about 15 shots they tend to start wondering left but a cleaning patch through the bore brings them back to POA.
Old March 27, 2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Gunruner

Well that's what I hoped to hear. Going to buy a couple and try for a well regulated one. I like the ones with the adjustable rear sight but I would rather have the standard front. I really dislike the front sharkfin blade on the target model. Is it welded on or staked? Anyone know........Mike Sorry for all the questions just trying to get the eggs in a row.
Old March 27, 2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Hawg

Mine is dead on windage wise but shoots high at 25 yds.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:08 AM   #10
CarlC

Happy with mine (mostly)

I've got 2 recently - one from Cabela's and one from Dixie. The one I got from Cabela's is great for the money. It was on backorder when I ordered it. Finish and function were very nice. It lacks only use to smooth out the trigger. The one for Dixie was almost as nice with gross exceptions. The inside of the trigger guard wasn't finished. No big deal, just a bit of filing and buffing to finish it off. I found out after I reviewed it on their site that 2 cylinder chambers still had heavy machine marks and were impossible to load. I kept the nipples, tossed the cylinder, and bought a replacement cylinder from Cabela's. It could be that Dixie had old stock while Cabela's was fresh. Hopefully Pietta got the word that their QC was poor and have corrected things. It's not often that you join a forum just for one reply, but I just did.
Old March 28, 2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Ricklin

Good choice in retailer

I think you will be fine with the Pietta 58. The poorest choice I made was not the gun, it was the dealer. All of the companies will make an occasional lemon, much of Europe "drinks" their lunch, I don't want one that went out after "one of those" lunch hours.
Cabelas has a good return policy, just don't fire the weapon. Give it a good inspection including measuring and inspecting the cylinder bores and you should be fine.
Traditions, the importer treated me pretty poorly, they did finally do the right thing and gave me a new gun as a replacement.
Old March 31, 2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Gunruner

Thanks again for all the replys folks!....................Mike