The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 6, 2002, 10:09 PM   #1
iamkris

How do you expect your HD shotgun to pattern?

I patterned my Mossy 500 Persuader with 000 buck at 7 yards. The pattern shot basically POA but I was a little surprised to see the pellets (I believe there are about 14-15 in the 1-1/8 oz load) to be dispersed in a pattern about 4 feet wide.

Is that what you'd expect at these rangges out of the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel? Guess I expected it to be more concentrated, say 2' or so. Any opinions?
Ultima Ratio Civis - the last method of a citizen
Old December 7, 2002, 12:18 AM   #2
Mo_Zam_Beek

iam - try several (as in every brand you can get your hands on - keep records too) brands of your choice of 00 or 000.

Different brands behave diffently in different guns.

FWIW - my Vang is one big azzed hole out to about 11 yards, after that it begins to pattern, all 9 pellets stay on the chest till around 31 or 32 yrds.

Good luck.
Old December 7, 2002, 12:37 AM   #3
lockandrock
Registration in progress

agree, try them all.

I've shot patterns that range from 6" to 24" @ 25yrds distance. 4ft sounds very large at 7yrds. My typical dove&quail load of #7.5 or 8 does about 4ft or more at 7rds.

If you are really shooting 000 what's the load and shell length? 14-15 is alot of triple Ought Buck for a 3" shell. Most 3" magnum loads of 00B holds 10-15 pellet and the only other load I know that has a qty of over 10 pellets for 000B is mfg via remington.

Quote:
I believe there are about 14-15 in the 1-1/8 oz load)
A typical 000B loading in a 2.75: shell runs about 8pellets. Since you mention 1 1/8oz payload is this buck or birdshoot? I never heard of any buck load reference with payload weight.
Old December 7, 2002, 06:26 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kris, 10 yard patterns usually run about the size of a small saucer to that of a dinner plate.
One recent article in Shotgun Sports magazine has a Ccylinder Choke and 8 shot going into 16-18" at 10 yards.

My chokeless HD 870 patterns the best 00 load into 16-20" at 25 yards.

I'd try other loads. If they do not tighten up, something's out of kilter.

If the choke or bbl's not rifled, check to see if the muzzle is out of round.

HTH...
Old December 7, 2002, 09:30 AM   #5
iamkris

Thanks...

...for the replies. I thought that seemed WAY huge for a pattern. I like the idea of an 18" pattern for HD, 4 feet give greate "coverage" but lousy impact.

Just to answer some of the questions above, my Mossy is a brand new Persauder, 18" smoothbore, open choke. Loads are Win AA hull, 19 gr of Red Dot, Win AA wads, 13 (oops, not 14-15) pellets of 000 buck, buffer in between the pellets.

I'd believe it might be my handloads before I'd believe something wrong with the barrel. Thanks again.
Ultima Ratio Civis - the last method of a citizen
Old December 7, 2002, 10:52 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

I think there is something about that load that is blowin the pattern.

In that gun.

I have never had a pattern anywhere near that spread. Even usin flat wads (no shot cup) and tru cylinder bore guns.

Sam