The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 17, 2017, 12:46 AM   #1
Romeomikehotel

New Frontier Arms poly lower

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post a quick video I put together showing my experience with the Nfa polymer lower and how it worked out for me. I wouldn't recommend this product but for what it was at the time that I bought it I guess I got my money's worth out of it. What are yalls thoughts on the polymer lowers?

https://youtu.be/AGS7CXj_j0g
Old May 17, 2017, 12:47 PM   #2
hagar

I have 2 of them, bought them years ago for $89 each, shipped. Don't shoot them too much, but so far they work fine.

Friend of mine used to shoot highpower competitions with a polymer lower (not New Frontier, some company before them) just to see if he could break it, he did not succeed.
Old May 17, 2017, 06:16 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

I used to live near them in Vegas and bought one when they first came out years ago. It's currently the lower on my wife's AF and so far so good. Then again, she isn't going out shooting hundreds of rounds with it. I also bought a polymer lower from Tennessee Arms, which uses a brass insert for the buffer tube to screw into. I'm liking those a lot more. Plus they're about 1/3 the price.
Overall, I have nothing against polymer lowers. Benefits for polymer are: lighter, cheaper and no corrosion. They may not have the same tight tolerances as metal lowers, but I'm not making $1000+ ARs for precision shooting. My TN Arms lower was used on my 300 Blackout AR pistol. It's my truck gun, so I'm not too concerned about beating it around a lil bit.
Old May 17, 2017, 07:42 PM   #4
44caliberkid

I have one, can't recall the name, that was made in Arizona. The company changed their name because BATF didn't like the way they attached the serial numbers. It works great as a 5.56 carbine.
I have another from FMK Firearms, a 300 Blackout pistol. I tried three different trigger groups in it, but couldn't stop it from shooting 2 or 3 round bursts. The pin holes must have been slightly off. I put in a Chip Mc Cormick modular unit and that solved the problem.
Old May 17, 2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Romeomikehotel

I agree with everything said. I have no problems with the poly lowers and 7+ years ago when I bought it the price differential was worth taking the risk. Nowadays that you can get aluminum lowers for a similar price I wouldn't spend the cash on a polymer.

It's obvious that the polymer isn't as strong as the aluminum lowers but I don't think it's a bad choice if the gun doesn't see much abuse.