The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 3, 2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

suggestions for "riflemans" note book...

as a "civie" I hate the sniper word... & don't want anything I'm doing to be associated with "sniping"

I'm looking for a better version of a shooters log than what I've started for each of my rifles...

yup... I'm cheap, & started with 3" X 5" spiral wound notebooks... now that I've had several outings with 5-6 of the notebooks I'm looking for suggestions for something both more user friendly, & more durable...

I've already spent more than my budget on rifles & glass, so I'm not looking for $100.00 notebooks, I don't want something with "sniper" plastered all over it... would prefer something at least field jacket "pocketable" as far as size

Buffalo arms had a decent shooters notebook, that was water resistant, but that has been discontinued...

The Voodoo book looks like it has head outlines to mark your headshots ??? if that's what I'm seeing, not interested in that version either...

any suggestions would be great... thanks

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old July 3, 2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... I ordered one of these to check out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360807632148...m1439.l2649://

I have somewhere between 15-30 rifles I'd like to start keeping "notebooks" on, ( part of the reason I started so cheap on the note books in the 1st place )
Old July 3, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Jay24bal

What information are you attempting to log?

If it is just to be used as a dope sheet, the needs are a lot simpler than if you are wanting to keep a round count and measure every group that has been fired through the gun.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 3, 2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Sevens

I'm guessing that you'll -HATE- my opinion, but hey...

There's nothing "wrong" with old-school, but technology offers a LOT. Paper & pencil certainly works, just like a fold-up map works if you're good with a map. But a GPS works also, and in some ways... it works far better.

Yes, things can go wrong. Wouldn't suggest otherwise. But if you get in to a routine, you can set yourself up for success.

Go digital. When you build something important on paper & ink, it's a struggle to copy it and a near-impossibility to re-arrange, streamline, update and manipulate it. I don't keep a rifleman's log (but I absolutely see the purpose in it!) but I keep a tremendous handloading log that includes vivid details of all my shooting and the items I gather and the changes I make to my firearms as well as all my handloading. The volume of information I collect approaches the irrational. It's a diary, really, and for example...

On November 19th, 2011, I was out of state and visited an indoor shooting range with my bro... put 165 rounds of two different handloads through a 6" .357 revolver and 150 rounds of 9mm thru my Tanfoglio, and only had one hour of range time to do it.

I probably wouldn't even have that memory... but my log has it in detail.

Doing all of it on an Excel spreadsheet allows me to edit, move, alter, and keep -MANY- copies of it in the case of a loss. I would never consider going back to paper & ink for my handloading notes, so I can't fathom why I'd do that for a rifleman's log.

And as you craft your reply consider that we could also be having this conversation over many months in the "letters" section of the Shotgun News, but instead... we can reply within minutes or hours here on this fine forum!
Old July 3, 2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Ridgerunner665

If is a dope sheet you're after...

http://appliedballisticsllc.com/AB_app.htm

Best $30 I ever spent...
Old July 3, 2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Right now I'm documenting the rifle info including serial, scope info, & serial, caliber, group fired conditions, ( distance, position, atmospheric conditions ) ammo used, doping info, would like to keep a round count going, hit positions relative to the target, basically as much info as I can...
Old July 3, 2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Ridgerunner665

There is also Google Keep...sticky notes for your phone...very handy app, online backup, accessible from anywhere.

It's free...
Old July 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Sevens

I -love- the idea of hosting my information such that I can access it from anywhere and it's never "lost" but the idea that I'd keep my personal gun information on the 'net is simply going further than I'm willing to go.
Old July 3, 2014, 03:17 PM   #9
MrBorland

I was looking at the fully customizable & modular books from Impact. For a few extra bucks, you can have them printed on "Rite in the Rain" paper, too. Below is a link to a review.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...ata-log-books/
Old July 4, 2014, 06:46 PM   #10
10-96

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but there's several here... and I didn't see the "S" word mentioned once! http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...yBody&c=RASGSB

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 5, 2014, 08:51 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I saw some black hard back, sewn (signatures) notebooks at Wally World yesterday.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:15 AM   #12
6.5swedeforelk

I believe that Sevens has the right idea.

Save each guns' info onto your HD, a notepad program is fine.
Sighting-in sessions & range time is jotted into a pocket pad to be entered later. Target photos are saved as well.

A cut & paste of load development into a same cartridge-new rifle file is handy.

A physical book will be mislaid, lost, waterlogged etc.

I've expanded the idea to having a file for every truck, quad and skidoo.
It's handy to be able to find what cv joint the 65 Bronco takes.
Old July 5, 2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Clark

I write up lengthy range reports and my own gunsmithing reports and send the pics and descriptions in email to anyone who will read them.

Then I do a search function.
How do you make 455 Eley ammo?

Windows start
...search
..... files or folders

........ type in "455 Eley"

ok, I see pics of me trimming 45 Colt brass rims in the lathe and trimming the case mouth in the mill.

How well can I shoot at 600 yards?
Go to email and search for "600 yards"
ug... I suck at 600 yards.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 5, 2014, 12:08 PM   #14
bbqbob51

Most of these books just show a picture of the front cover in the listing. Pretty much worthless information, before I order them I would need to see what the inside layout is like.
Old July 9, 2014, 08:55 PM   #15
6.5swedeforelk

Quote:
I write up lengthy range reports and my own gunsmithing reports and send the pics and descriptions in email to anyone who will read them.
Clark... how does one get into your good grace to receive this info?

Couple fisher pelts? Eight ft wolf wall hanger?