The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
corruptone

Hornady LNL with S&B Brass?

Hello All,
I recently aquired a new Hornady LNL and I've set it up next to my 650. On my first run, I noticed that about every 5-10 rounds, the brass would hang hard on the Ez-ject where the head of the brass would try to ride over the ez-ject nub. The brass I was using was all S&B. I inspected the ez-ject ridge and didn't notice any burs. This is the 45 shellplate as well. After fighting with it a bit and calling Hornady, I changed the shellplate to the 9MM, ran around 30 or so pieces of brass through it and I had 0 failures. Hmmmm. So, I moved back to the 45 shellplate and decided to try a different headstamp brass. I proceeded to cycle 30 pieces of Federal brass through the press with no ejection issues. After closer inspection of the S&B brass to the Federal, it does appear that the S&B has more of a taper to it. Has anyone else had issues with S&B .45ACP brass in the LNL? Is it simply an incompatibility issue or is something else wrong? As I mentioned earlier, I did call Hornady on Monday and described the situation as thoroughly as I could and they thought I might have either a bad subplate or shellplate and they want to replace the subplate first. I did inform the rep that I was using only S&B brass and he provided no indication that this brand was an issue. I had not tried a different brand of brass at the time I spoke with Hornady. Thoughts?
Old March 28, 2013, 07:24 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

Sounds like the rims may be bent.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Idaho Spud

I like my LnL press, but have had trouble with Federal, Speer and CCI brass in the 40 S&W. Winchester goes thru without probs so I learned to separate it from all others.

Just loaded some 45 ACP and had trouble with Rem brass as well as others. IMO the Ez-eject system isn't the last word on design. Have wondered how it compares with the old system.

I've simply learned to live with it.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
corruptone

I went back and tightened the heck out of the shellplate by inserting a case into the sizing die and I also made sure that I had the brass as close to the shellplate as possible. I saw no appreciable improvement whatsoever with this particular brass. Every 5-10 rounds, the head still tries to slide over the ej-ject nub and locks the press.

I have read where the retaining spring 'could' be the culprit and a suggestion was made to lower/radius the subplate ledge a bit so that the spring can drop down a bit further/quicker and therefore lower the brass just a tad. I might give that a try tonight.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Idaho Spud

How 'bout reporting back? Thanks. I'd love to try something I haven't tried already, which is just about everything I could think of.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Ole 5 hole group

A friend experienced that problem with some odd-ball cases and he just took a dremel tool and polished the "ez nub" a little and no problems since.

At the time everything looked and felt good, as to burrs, roughness etc but the polishing job did the trick for some reason.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
LE-28

I don't load 45 on my AP but I have loaded thousands of 9mm on it and don't even bother looking at head stamps at all. I have about every company in there but Amerc. They all load and eject just fine.

I can't help but wonder about the shell plate your using. I would call Hornady and ask them to exchange your shell plate for another one.

There has to be something wrong with it in my opinion. I'm using the newer Easy-Ject system also.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Idaho Spud

typo

I've loaded thousands of 9mm also without much issue. It's the 40 S&W I have the most problems with and occasionally the 45ACP. Virtually none with 380 ACP or 38/357 Mag.

corruptone, you may have something inre to the spring. When I completely removed it and ran an empty Federal case thru the eject station there were no malfs. Soon as I replaced the spring the case would jam the press no matter my technique. Federals are the worst offenders in 40 S&W for me. I'm gonna call Hornady on the morrow. I've had this machine 2 or so years and really like it except for this annoying problem. Got at least 10,000 or so thru it, so it's not that I can't suffer with it, but.......