The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
rebs

rcbs case lube 2

I seen a bottle in the gun shop today that had a different label on it than the bottle I have and I believe in two places it said toxic, what makes it toxic ?
Old October 13, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Vance

Probably the hexane in it. I have a bottle of it and you definitely want to use it in a well vetilated area. It does work well.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Vance

MSDS of hexane. Nasty stuff. Cases are safe to handle after the carrier (hexane) evaporates. Wear latex gloves anyway.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:26 PM   #4
William T. Watts

The old/original RCBS-2 product with non-toxic on the label is still available, I saw nothing on the MidwayUSA website to indicate they are selling the toxic product you fellows have encountered. I do not think I will last long enough to go thru two bottles of the original formula I have, interesting non the less. William
Old October 13, 2012, 08:49 PM   #5
603Country

I'm with William. Just finished up my first bottle of the original RCBS case lube and it only took me 25 years to do it.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
CsAdonis

Quote:
I'm with William. Just finished up my first bottle of the original RCBS case lube and it only took me 25 years to do it.
.....and I bought two bottles of it thinking that I would go through it quickly. Years later my first bottle is still nearly full. I guess I'll be good for at least another 45 years
Old October 14, 2012, 05:46 AM   #7
rebs

WOW after reading the MSDS of this stuff, why did RCBS put this stuff in their case lube ? I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot long pole.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8
603Country

Two things: One, the original RCBS case lube works just fine, is still available (last time I looked) and will last just about forever. I'm just like csAdonis and bought 2 squeeze bottles, thinking that I'd probably run out eventually. I was right, but it was over two decades, and over that time I never had a stuck case. Two, I think you guys are getting a bit overexcited about the dangers of having Hexane in RCBS case lube. In minute concentrations it won't hurt you at all. My years in oil refineries and chemical plants had me in contact with hexane and other chemicals every day for many years. Yes, the MSDS gives dire warnings, but that's pretty normal for an MSDS. They've gotta give you all the potential bad news so that you'll be officially warned. Just think of all the pills that guys like me in their 60's take. Per the TV ads, they usually only do one good thing for you, but the potential side effects are numerous and scary.