The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: What do I use?
Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm 6 11.32%
Springfield Trophy Match 1911 10 18.87%
Build the Glock 26 49.06%
Something else 15 28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 21, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1
mikej959

Opinions about what pistol to use for IDPA??

OK so I have been shooting and hunting for years, shotguns, rifles and pistols. I just joined the local gun club and getting into leagues and competitions. They shoot IDPA there. My question is what gun should I choose?

As of right now I have two 22 handguns, a Smith 29, a Taurus 380 and an old FN 32. None of these are going to work for IDPA. I also have a complete glock frame.

I thought about building a glock long ago so I bought the frame and was going to use lone wolf parts to put a gun together. I don't know if thats a good idea for an IDPA gun because I have no clue what class I would put me in with an aftermarket slide and such. I used to have an xdm 40 loved that gun shot nice didn't have any problems but I sold it because I wanted a 1911. I never got a 1911 but I have shot quite a variety of them.

Here is a list of guns I'm currently considering for IDPA:
Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm
Springfield Trophy Match 1911 (if I can find one)
Build a Glock 34 if it will be legal for IDPA
Something else??

I don't really have a budget when it comes to guns because I know quality costs. What are your opinions? I'm pretty comfortable shooting all different guns not favorable to one or the other.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Crazy Carl

I voted 1911, but that's just what blows my skirt up. XDm or G34 wouldn't be bad, tho, if you prefer those platforms.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3
MLeake

I prefer to shoot guns I actually carry at IDPA matches. I don't worry about winning, I worry about improving my skills with my carry weapons, and on figuring out what guns, holsters, etc work best for me.

So, out of the guns you've listed, which would you actually consider carrying for CCW? I'd recommend using whatever one that would be.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4
orionengnr

Bingo.
I have only competed in a few Steel Challenge and ane or two IDPA matches. The guys and gals with the Mega-High-Cap-with Holo-sight pistols and Team jerseys are awesome to watch.

But... do they carry that gun?
No.

I shoot an old steel 1911 and I am nowhere near what they can do. In speed, anyway. I can hit those targets just fine; I just can't hit all ten of them (twice each) in four seconds.

So.... I have a realistic asessment of what I can do, on any given day, using my own EDC pistol.

That is worth far more than what someone else can do under contrived/controlled circumstances.

Some of the wisest words I have ever heard by on old engineer, and I may be mis-quoting him somewhat, but if you are a thinking man, you will get the idea:

In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are different.

If that didn't get the message through, I will step it down a notch and quote Clint Eastwood:

A man's got to know his limitations.

Which is not to say that you should not strive to expand on those limitations...

Best, Rich
Old August 23, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Chinny33

By far the most used pistol is the Glock 34.
That puts you in the SSP division. It think if you mess with it enough it can put you in ESP divison

I know this is old from 2007 but it says a lot about what people are running
http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=173

I compete in the SSP division with my Glock 34 gen 4. I pulled out all the internals and polished everything to a have a 2.75lb trigger pull. I changed the sights to Warren tactical sights. Blade tech holster and magazine holders... I left the barrel and the recoil spring alone.

I started with a stock G19, but didnt start winning anything until I started to practice and upgrade to the G34 with the homemade trigger job. Then things started to come together.

I also handload my rounds for accuracy and meeting power factor.

I will flying out and competing in the 2012 IDPA national championship this September.
Proverbs 27:12
Old August 24, 2012, 04:25 AM   #6
SteelChickenShooter

Glock 34 with Warren Tactical sights.
I'm not ignorant about the other choices. I know them quite well so my opinion is an educated one.
Old August 24, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7
EdInk

I would go with the XDm over the Parts-Kit Glock. The XDm will have a better trigger out of the box and a factory "match quality" barrel.

As you mentioned since the Glock would be assembled from aftermarket parts, you might be at the at the mercy of a judge's view in the rules for a stock class gun. (Honestly, if still looks pretty standard you should "probably" be okay.)

The 1911 is definitely the nicest of the group but may exclude you from some service-pistol type competitions. That's about the only downside to it really.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:14 AM   #8
cltinseattle

I prefer my Glock 34 Gen 4. No, obviously it is not my EDC gun but since my EDC is a Glock 26 Gen 4 they compliment each other well. I practice with both of them using the same ammo and can use the 17-round mags in the G26. It's a great combo that works for me.
Old August 25, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9
FJ4ZROX

+1 for I run what I carry. Trophies are nice, and I've earned my share in shooting, martial arts, cycling, and other sports, but IDPA is a great arena to hone your skills with less than ideal equipment (CCW guns tend to be a compromise of size, wt, fit, and caliber). For fully built race guns, I shot IPSC. For IDPA, the only mod from "out of the box" is that I like my trijicon 3-dot sights (with the white ring around the dot)...and I do that to almost every semi-auto gun I purchase.

Just my $0.02
Old August 25, 2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Mrgunsngear

I voted for build the G34 but really all will perform well in IDPA---there's a reason all of them are heavily represented in their matches.
Old August 25, 2012, 09:56 AM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
I prefer to shoot guns I actually carry at IDPA matches. I don't worry about winning, I worry about improving my skills with my carry weapons, and on figuring out what guns, holsters, etc work best for me.
+1.

Run the gun you walked in wearing.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:32 PM   #12
mikej959

I have came to a conclusion after reading the post on here and other research I'm going to build the Glock. I talked to a Glock armorer that is a member at my local gun club and he is going to assist me in the build. Probably going to be a $1000 Glock but its worth it I don't want to have the same gun as the other 10 people at the IDPA match, damn Glocks everyone has one it seems.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:41 PM   #13
pete2

A Glock will probably win more matches due to the design it's ideal for IDPA. I shoot a 92FS, 1911, 586, 625 and I have shot a .40 PT100. I even shot a match with a 642, my carry gun. The game is built around service pistols not concealed carry guns. I came in next to last with the 642, a buddy of mine also shot a 642, he was last. I now have an LC9, also a carry gun, and will shoot it in a match, it'll be better than the 642. It will hold 7 in a mag and it's easier to shoot than the 642. Still probably come in last. IDPA is a game, most stages are designed to shoot lots of ammo and have fun. If you haven't shot it with a real concealed carry gun you should. Some clubs will have a BUG match, usually with no reloads, start with gun in hand, also not realistic but at least you get to shoot the carry gun.
It's all fun.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:13 PM   #14
RickB

A custom "Glock" 34 is going to be legal only for ESP division, and the same is true of a 9mm XD. The 1911 in .45 ACP would be legal only for CDP division. Maybe it doesn't matter, but a Glock 21 (made by Glock) would be legal for SSP, ESP, and CDP.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:43 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Another item to think about:
Acquire one to compete-tweek out as desired.
Acquire the CCL version for carry. Occasionally compete with the CCL version.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:26 AM   #16
akguy1985

of the choices listed i'd go with the XDm if it was me.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:12 AM   #17
WC145

If you've never done it before I'd start with a stock gun that you're comfortable with, doesn't much matter which (preferably your carry piece or something similar), and get some experience then decide if you really need a full on custom job to be competitive. A lot of these matches, particularly local club shoots, are won or lost on the draw and on reloads because that's where people often fumble, it's hard to make up time no matter how accurate you are if you've got poor gun handling skills. Work on your basic skills and get familiar with the game first then upgrade your gear as appropriate for your needs.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old August 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #18
iblong

I shoot all 5 divisions and enjoy them all,I started with a stock G17 but did not carry it.latter I put in a 3.5 connector and polished the internals all legal
mods,This allowed me to shoot ssp and esp.and I could shot both div.at the same match= more trigger time.I then bought a G19 with night sights did the same mods and used it for my edc and IDPA at first I dropped a couple places
but as I adjusted to it and shot it more I surpassed my my G17 scores,I then bought a 34 and did all the legal mods I had better hits at distance but was a little slower on transissions.Sold it and went back to my carry 19.
The xd is a good gun but limmits you to esp.Your Glock build may do the same. And for less money you could fine tune a new 34 for less money and do just fine and would take you a while to out shoot it.

Tags
idpa , uspsa