The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1
nagantino

My .45acp bullets rotate in case.

I load on a Lee Loadmaster using cast TL 230 RN bullets. The machine is dedicated to .45acp only. I deprime and size in separate dies and finish with the Lee FCD. I began noticing that the finished bullet head could be turned by hand a few days ago. If I tried I could pull the bullet almost out of the case. So I increased the crimp but some still turned. I have seated the bullet lower and yet again increased the crimp but it doesnt feel right to increase this amount. Not all the rounds are like this but even a tight one is capable of turning if I grip it well enough. I have made a search of various sights but cannot find this exact problem

The bullets work fine at the range but I don't like the situation. Any thoughts?
Old March 27, 2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Don H

Sounds like you're using mixed-brand brass and some are gripping the bullets better due to variation in case wall thickness. I'd suggest screwing down the sizing die a bit more to handle the mixed brass or sort and adjust the sizing die for the specific brass. The amount of crimp is likely not the issue.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I think Don H is on the right track. Compare the amount of looseness with headstamps. I'd be willing to bet that some of the loose ones are R-P (Remington). If you find any Federal cases with loose bullets, then you need to crank down on the crimping just a little more. Don't worry, you're not to be creating little bombs with a slightly tighter crimp. You might even find you get better shooting results in the form of a smaller standard deviation of velocities.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:05 PM   #4
mikld

See what happens if you just size, seat, and forget the FCD. May give you some idea where to start...
Old March 27, 2011, 01:13 PM   #5
chris in va

Skip the FCD with cast 45's. I found they fit looser when I used it. For some reason I have no problems with the FCD in 9mm however.

On a side note I had horrible results with the TL mold design. Once I switched to the regular 228 version, everything tightened up and accuracy increased.