The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 19, 2010, 07:05 PM   #1
mitchell koster

Deer Whistling

Does Anyone use a whistle as a deer call? I went and did some stalking this morning and when i came a group of Staggs (Bucks) i though i would do a bit of wistling to see what they did. As i got closer they still didn't move and it wasn't untill i stood up that they moved on.

Do you think i just confused them so they stood around to see what i was of is it something else??? Would be interested to see what has happened for others.

Thanks MK
Old May 19, 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
James R. Burke

A few years ago a nice eight pointer walked in were I was sitting. He seen me and was starring me down. I could not move. All of a sudden he just took off running. I dont know why but I whistled at him, on the thrid one he was at about 150 yards bt in plain view. He stopped, and looked back. Bad mistake on his part, and a lot of luck on mine. Perfect broad side shot. Dropped on the spot. I know that was not exactly the quetion you were asking, but that is the only time I used it.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Gunplummer

Deer are curious if in a relaxed atmosphere. I had one come in to see what was going on when I was sawing branches with a course bladed saw. It made a weird noise, and the deer could not identify the sound.
I agree with the above post but am usually too dry to whistle and stop one. I often just yell "Yo" when a deer is trotting or sneaking through at a good clip. They don't know where it came from and they stop on the spot. I have had it work every time.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

I know guys that will swear to the whistling thing, to get a deer to stop, but I have tried it several times, to stop a moving deer, and all I see that it does, is make the deer find another gear and gather up some gone.

I think the whistle has to sound like a doe, before it does any good, and my whistler has the wrong pitch I guess.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:20 PM   #5
crghss

I've whistled to get deer to stop walking in archery season.
This is before they get to spooked in rifle season. They are curious animals and will investigate if they don't feel threatened.