The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2008, 09:12 PM   #1
TheShootist1894

Loading Wadcutters in 357 Mag, HeLP

What do I need short of the regualar dies I have for 357, have been shooting wadcutters for some time, and reloading other 38/357's but would like to be able to 'roll my own' wadcutters

Thanks
Karl
Old August 27, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
shepherddogs

I think you can melt candle wax into the hollow part of the bullet seater. This makes it reasonably flat for seating and doesn't permanently damage the seater. Just heat it up and the wax melts out.
Old August 27, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
zxcvbob

You don't have to do anything different. The regular dies and seating plug will work just fine. Are you talking about loading light target loads, or .357 Magnum DEWC sledgehammers?
Old August 28, 2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Wuchak

There is nothing different about loading wad cutters vs another shaped bullet.
Old August 28, 2008, 12:34 AM   #5
joneb

I was getting leading with Magnus 148gr swaged HBWC in both .38spl and .357 mag. the problem was the swc seater plug in my RCBS dies was not compatable with this bullet. My solution was to ad a extra step to the reloading procedure, I readjusted my .45acp seater die with the RN plug to add a bit of a radius to the WC bullet nose, the leading problem went away
Old August 28, 2008, 09:30 AM   #6
crowbeaner

If you're using RCBS dies, the 38 set has a wadcutter seating stem in one set. I have 3 different seating stems in my box; RN, SWC, and WC. If you call RCBS they might even send you one for nada. I seat and crimp in seperate steps because the WCs are usually seated flush or just below the case mouth but you may be able to seat them down to the first crimp groove if they have one. I cast all mine, so YMMV. I use the Lee 38-148-wc and Lyman 35891.