The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Sig 1911 Opinions Please

Hi,

I stepped into my LGS earlier this week and took a look in the gun case (I know, that was my first mistake right there lol). I saw a Sig 1911 TTT (45 ACP). Nice. I really liked the adjustable night sights. And the burled walnut grips didn't detract from its beauty, I'll say.

I want a 1911 for HD. I already have a 1911 (Colt - made in 1984), but it's been modified. (In California, you don't want to ever use a modified firearm in a SD situation. Civil suit lawyers will have a field day, and the juries here . . . oh I think everyone understands.)

Anyway, I am very familiar with 1911's and are very pleased with their performance in every way. And for HD, I really like the "cocked n locked" configuration (is that called "condition 2" or something??). I have guns (glock) with hidden strikers. But having a round chambered with a striker I can not see just makes me nervy as can be - especially with no safety. I know it's mostly psychological, but I want to see the hammer, and I like the safety. It's a configuration that I'm comfortable with and that's all that's important for the sake of this post.

My real question is: Does anybody have experience with Sig 1911's? Tell me your opinions and experiences please.

Thanks.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:08 PM   #2
MarkCO

I own a SIG C3. Fantastic carry 1911. I did change out the grip panels, but other than that, it has run like a Swiss watch.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Cool Mark. Thanks. How long have you had it? How many rounds do you have through it? Is there any ammo it doesn't like? (Although feeding in a compact and feeding in a full size are apples n oranges; I still wanna know.)
Old November 9, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
MarkCO

Bought it 3 years ago, yes November 2010. It has about 3500 rounds through it to date. I ran 200 in the first range session and 200 in the second. The sights POA vs. POI were off, so I adjusted those.

The only ammo it did not like was 200 grain ball at 700 fps. Everything standard and +P ran 100%, even the flyin' ashtrays.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Love those flyin' ashtrays I like Speer 185 GD's for HD.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Dragline45

Quote:
I want a 1911 for HD. I already have a 1911 (Colt - made in 1984), but it's been modified. (In California, you don't want to ever use a modified firearm in a SD situation. Civil suit lawyers will have a field day, and the juries here . . . oh I think everyone understands.)
For every argument a lawyer can make against using a modified gun in a self defense situation against you, your lawyer can make arguments and bring in experts to counteract those claims. What it really comes down to is, unless the case has to do with an accidental or negligent discharge, modifications to a gun will not change the outcome of how any situation played out.

In the George Zimmerman case, perhaps the highest profile case involving the use of a firearm in self defense in all of our lifetimes, they barely even touched on the gun used in the incident.

People can quote Massad Ayoob all they want, but everything that guy says is not written in stone.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
UncleEd

Sig 1911s are OK.

But shop around.

Look at Colts, Springfields, Remingtons, Smith & Wessons, or higher end stuff like Dan Wesson.

You'll surprised at the quality and variations out there.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Flea21

I love Sig 1911s.. Theyre awesome! I have a POW MIA Limited Edition and also an RCS which is my CCW 1911. Im certain youll love your Sig once you get it amd it wont be your only one btw!
Old November 9, 2013, 10:32 PM   #9
MarkCO

I think the SIG C3 is a very fine 1911. It is certainly better than the Springfield and Kimber. I have a Dan Wesson (pre CZ) and a Chip McCormick slide and frame custom one off and they are better of course.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:40 AM   #10
915A

Just got my first 1911 which was the Sig Nightmare Carry, love it! I'm no expert but the fit and finish was excellent and it is accurate as hell. I like the 1911 so much I just picked up another, a Ruger SR1911.

Last edited by 915A; November 10, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:32 AM   #11
thedudeabides

Sig Scorpion 1911, 5".

Gun was manufactured Dec 2012, bought it in February 2013.

Out of the box, the gun had endless feeding issues with all brands of ammo and would not go into full battery. Didn't matter what types of recoil springs, magazines, or ammo I used. One round out of 8 would fail to go into full battery.

The factory sights install was also drifted up and to the left. At 10 yards the gun would shoot about 5" off target compared to all of my other 1911s--so don't even bother to say that it's user error as I can get 3" groupings free handed with my Wilsons at over 25 yards.

Called Sig, they told me to break the gun in. I told them that I'm not about to waste 500 rounds of ammo and it's going back. To be fair, Sig's turnaround time is the shortest of any 1911 I've owned and I had the gun back in less than a month. Maybe because it seemed they did nothing.

FTRTFB was still there, the sights looked like someone pounded on them with a brass punch, but the gun was still shooting up and to the left. At this point I also started to see flaking of the Baby Poop Cerakote.

I sent the gun back to for the same issues and a refinish. They told me that the chamber had already been reamed out and the feed ramp had been polished by their gunsmiths, they also claim to have done something to the extractor (not sure how this would affect FTRTFB), the sights were "zeroed", the frame was refinished to a color off from the color of the slide, and the gun had been fired at their test range.

When it came back, I went to the gun store where I bought it with the love letter Sig sent me and sold it for 600 bucks, a 400 dollar loss. To be fair they also offered me 200 dollars store credit. I don't think they've sold the damn thing to this date.
Old November 10, 2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Flea21

Re: Sig 1911 Opinions Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Sig Scorpion 1911, 5".

Gun was manufactured Dec 2012, bought it in February 2013.

Out of the box, the gun had endless feeding issues with all brands of ammo and would not go into full battery. Didn't matter what types of recoil springs, magazines, or ammo I used. One round out of 8 would fail to go into full battery.

The factory sights install was also drifted up and to the left. At 10 yards the gun would shoot about 5" off target compared to all of my other 1911s--so don't even bother to say that it's user error as I can get 3" groupings free handed with my Wilsons at over 25 yards.

Called Sig, they told me to break the gun in. I told them that I'm not about to waste 500 rounds of ammo and it's going back. To be fair, Sig's turnaround time is the shortest of any 1911 I've owned and I had the gun back in less than a month. Maybe because it seemed they did nothing.

FTRTFB was still there, the sights looked like someone pounded on them with a brass punch, but the gun was still shooting up and to the left. At this point I also started to see flaking of the Baby Poop Cerakote.

I sent the gun back to for the same issues and a refinish. They told me that the chamber had already been reamed out and the feed ramp had been polished by their gunsmiths, they also claim to have done something to the extractor (not sure how this would affect FTRTFB), the sights were "zeroed", the frame was refinished to a color off from the color of the slide, and the gun had been fired at their test range.

When it came back, I went to the gun store where I bought it with the love letter Sig sent me and sold it for 600 bucks, a 400 dollar loss. To be fair they also offered me 200 dollars store credit. I don't think they've sold the damn thing to this date.
Id buy it if its still available... Once again, Sig makes a great 1911. Juwt because you had a bad experience, doesnt make em a bad gun.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:30 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
My real question is: Does anybody have experience with Sig 1911's? Tell me your opinions and experiences please.
One of my 1911 pistols is the very SIG model that you are considering buying, the TTT. The pistol is finely finished, reliable, accurate and I especially like the compact adjustable night sight you referenced. The TTT is priced about one hundred dollars under the SIG's flagship, the similar Model STX, and lacks the STX's ambidextrous safety and extended magwell; features that aren't worth the extra money for me. Both pistols come with the nice burled maple grips you rightfully admired.
When it comes to seeking opinions from fellow shooters, I would advise that you don't give much credence to those who have (regrettably) had a singular bad experience with one sample pistol and apparently now believe that their main mission in life is to stalk the gun forums, looking for any opportunity to shoehorn negative comments about the brand into the discussion and then proceed to bash the entire company (i.e., "...I got a lemon from SIG so all SIG 1911s are junk..."). Rather, I would suggest weighing the preponderance of opinions and evidence of the experiences of the many when arriving at a decision before giving much import to the few.

Quote:
And for HD, I really like the "cocked n locked" configuration (is that called "condition 2" or something??).
Condition One: "Cocked and locked"; round in chamber with safety on.

Condition Two: Hammer down over round in chamber.

Condition Three: Empty chamber with loaded magazine inserted.
Old November 10, 2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

SIG Arms is yet another of the many companies who proudly proclaimed that THEY were going to make 1911s better than anyone had ever done before. Which meant, of course, that they were going to ignore what everyone else had learned from 100 years of 1911 production, and reinvent the wheel.

Their first generation guns were so horrible that they stopped production, blamed it all on the producer of the slides and frames (Caspian -- who subsequently sold off all the unmarked SIG slide/frame sets as "kits," and the buyers didn't have any problems with them), then retooled. The second generation weren't much better. Then it turned out that SIG didn't understand the differences between a full-size and a Commander, so their Commander-size guns were self-destructing in under 500 rounds. Third generation was marginally better ... but not much.

I don't even know what generation of production SIG is up to today. It would be about my last choice for a 1911 -- in competition with Taurus for "Worst Choice."
Old November 10, 2013, 02:11 PM   #15
thedudeabides

Quote:
SIG Arms is yet another of the many companies who proudly proclaimed that THEY were going to make 1911s better than anyone had ever done before. Which meant, of course, that they were going to ignore what everyone else had learned from 100 years of 1911 production, and reinvent the wheel.

Their first generation guns were so horrible that they stopped production, blamed it all on the producer of the slides and frames (Caspian -- who subsequently sold off all the unmarked SIG slide/frame sets as "kits," and the buyers didn't have any problems with them), then retooled. The second generation weren't much better. Then it turned out that SIG didn't understand the differences between a full-size and a Commander, so their Commander-size guns were self-destructing in under 500 rounds. Third generation was marginally better ... but not much.

I don't even know what generation of production SIG is up to today. It would be about my last choice for a 1911 -- in competition with Taurus for "Worst Choice."
That's pretty much it.

I still remember how Sig contracted Caspian to make those dreadful 1911s with the manhole covers on them and how there were no gunsmiths that would touch them... I think Caspian just wishes that no one remembers that terrible marriage. Then came the GSR, and I remember how it was a badge of honor to have one that actually WORKED, or how most "granite steel rail" pistols actually had NO RAILS. Apparently the slide action was like running granite over steel... or something. And let's not forget the Sig-specific slides that set up a brand identity, kind of like monolithic dust covers, or full length rails... just... not cool.

Your story also reminded me of how Sig just decided that a "Commander" was a regular 1911 that was shortened, but without any other design considerations to deal with the reduced slide mass (and therefore potentially increased velocity) and what effect that may have on the gun's components.

My favorites were the Blackwater logo guns they quickly spun off as the Nightmare line, because no one wants a gun with the label of a mercenary company on the slide...

I had very good luck with several P220s, and I really liked the overall design of the Scorpion... I guess Sig still hasn't sorted out how to make a 1911. Maybe in 100 years?
Old November 10, 2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Polinese

I have a XO I bought used and love it. Only a couple hundred rounds through it so far however but I've had zero problems with mine other than it didn't like Gold dots very much. Haven't had a chance to try any other HP's yet. But mine sits right next to my bed for things that go bump in the night.
Old November 11, 2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Quote:
In the George Zimmerman case, perhaps the highest profile case involving the use of a firearm in self defense in all of our lifetimes, they barely even touched on the gun used in the incident.
A) That was the criminal trial, not the civil trial - civil trials are the primary concern with modified guns.
B) That was probably because the gun wasn't modified.
C) The trial was in Florida, not California.
Old November 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

The only 1911 I've ever "loved" was a SIG 1911 that I sold. I had the XO.

That said, I would get another or a Tac-Ops model. I love SIG Sauer in general. So I may be biased. However, I don't like 1911's at all and I loved a SIG 1911. Balance out this information as you want. lol
Old November 11, 2013, 02:58 PM   #19
MJFlores

For what it's worth, I really, really like Sig. I own two P series and find them excellent firearms. I also live in NH and within 45 minutes of 2 Sig manufacturing facilities and their Proshop. Two things I'll comment on are: Their 1911's have an external extractor that I just cant get into. I'm sure it works, but it just looks wrong. I mean, it's really not a 1911 at all with that extractor. It's 1911-ish. The second thing is I have several friends who work for Sig and none of them will even own one despite over a 50% discount. That has to tell you something right? Despite the 50% off discount extended to me, on all their word I decided to buy a Ruger SR-1911. It's a great gun, especially for the money. Again, not to detract from anyone's happiness with their Sig but the last few years the quality problems coming from Sig just cant be ignored. It's bothersome to the consumer, as well as the staff at Sig who worked there before and when they were the best of the best. Again, I wanted a Nightmare Carry very badly but went Ruger and am glad I did. I would have a good look at Ruger and Springfield. Just my opinion and experience anyways.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

^ I know what you mean Flores. Took a second to get used to.

SIG does offer various "traditional" 1911 models.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides
I still remember how Sig contracted Caspian to make those dreadful 1911s with the manhole covers on them and how there were no gunsmiths that would touch them... I think Caspian just wishes that no one remembers that terrible marriage.
I don't think Caspian cares. However, **I** care, because SIG pretty much tried to savage Caspian's reputation, when in fact the problems were all due to SIG. Caspian was selling the left-over slides and frames from the SIG first generation contract for some time after SIG cancelled the contract. Caspian sold the frame and slide as a set -- and I have not heard of a single person who bought one who had any problems building a fully-functional 1911 using those components.

The fact that SIG's second generation (non-Caspian) 1911s weren't much better than the first generation pretty well proves that the fault wasn't with Caspian.

SIG's problems with their early Commanders went far beyond slide mass.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:27 PM   #22
915A

I know that we just had a group buy of 40 Nightmare Carry's and not a single issue so far from any of the range reports. Your always going to get a bad apple in any bunch. So you will just have see what works best for you. So far I love my Sig Nightmare.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:58 AM   #23
ParabellumJ

Sig 1911 Opinions Please

Personally I don't care for the Sig 1911's. The history on them is not very kind and the external extractor looks out of place, probably because it is. I would buy a Colt or a Dan Wesson.
Old November 12, 2013, 01:04 AM   #24
Skadoosh

Quote:
and the external extractor looks out of place, probably because it is.
JMB didnt think so.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #25
NJgunowner

Not for nothing but some people will find anything to complain about.

My Sig 1911 is better than the Springfield loaded I had, hands down. It's better than the Colt Delta Elite I had, though I kind of wish I had kept the Delta Elite (10mm is fun).

Everyone has their opinion, but it's only that. People will tell you what they FEEL like it's the gospel true and written in stone.

My sig 1911 is my favorite gun at the range. My home defense gun is a P226. Not because the Sig 1911 isn't reliable enough, but I'm just more comfortable with the P226.

If you find the gun comfortable, like the looks... buy it. Sig 1911's are reliable and well made. Most of the people complaining probably haven't tried one since the first couple of generations, which were admittedly a debacle.