The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 7, 2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Uberti 1866 .44-40 w/holy black....

How many rounds can a feller run through one before he has problems in the action from residue? I shot 150 rounds this weekend with virtually no fouling in the action- most I've done at one time. 3F Swiss also seem to have more "umph" than my Goex loads I've tried in the past- only a bit noticeable.

This is the first time I've ever run much over a box at once through it.
Old November 7, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Captainkirk

Most of the fouling and deposits stay forward of the breech & action in a BP cartridge rifle.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Hawg

The thin neck on the 44-40 expands to chamber size and keeps fouling out of the action. Straight walled cases like .45 Colt aren't as clean. You can leave a fired 44-40 case in the chamber while cleaning and you still won't get any fouling in the action. I never tear my 44-40 Rossi 92 down for cleaning.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

I've put over 1700 BP and 200 grain big lube bullet rounds through my 44-40 '66 carbine so far this year. I haven't torn it down yet, and it's still running smoothly. Only maintenance has been to clean the bore and chamber after a match.

On a similar note, I have a 44-40 Henry that I shot for three years before I took the side plates off. It wasn't really necessary.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 8, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Noz

I haven't had the side plates off of my 1866 this year. Don't remember exactly when I tore it down last.