The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Ruark

Interesting feedback from RCBS

In another thread, I was asking about how to clean out the thin film of lubricant my RCBS powder measure came with (Little Dandy). The powder was sticking to it and seriously threw the loads off.

I got it cleaned out with very hot water with a little dishwashing liquid, followed by generous flushing with alcohol. An RCBS tech told me in email that that was a perfect way to clean it - but he added that I could run some graphite through it and that would lubricate it and greatly reduce powder sticking. Just wanted to pass that on.

- Ruark
Old November 16, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
F. Guffey

I use a towel on a dowel for dies and rotors, there is little chance I will improve on the finish, a reloader sent me a set of RCBS dies that had a case stuck in the full length sizer, I removed the case and started to size cases with it, 5 cases out of the first 10 cases stuck and had to be removed the old fashion way, He said the die belonged to his father, he said he cleaned the die from advise on the Internet, the die was RCBS in 30/06, by the time I sized 60 cases with the die it was working flawlessly, I sent the die back to him with a home made case puller but was not able to change his mind abut the die, he did not trust it. because it belonged to his father he kept it as a spare.

F. Guffey