The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
lawsonron

Rifle Powder Volumes

I have yet to see any published lists of rifle powder volumes. Can anyone provide information as to which of these powders takes up more/less space in a cartridge:

IMR 7828 SSC, H-4831SC, RL22 or RL25

To explain, in order of powder above, if I were to measure 50 grains of each and place in a .25-06 cartridge, which would take up the least to most space...

Thanks
Old October 29, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Apparently you do not reload.
The easiest way to find out is to try and see for yourself.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Scorch

There are lists of powder density (weight/volume). That will not give you the loading density (% fill in the case) because of varying charges for a given cartridge. However, you can put 1 and 1 together by finding the powder that will come closest to filling the case by finding the appropriate powder on the density table and using the lower density powders.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:44 AM   #4
lawsonron

Load Density Calculation

I just found this on the internet: http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....ng-powder.html

In short, it suggests placing a specific bullet in a cartridge sans powder and primer. The bullet should be seated at the depth that it would be used in a loaded cartridge. Using a hypodermic needle, fill the case with water and weigh with the water inside....then compare with the same case without water....the difference is the case capacity....density is then the ratio of the powder charge to the case capacity....all makes sense BUT this would mean that all 50 grains of powder take up the same space.....that's OK but I'm surprised if that's true...
Old October 29, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
the difference is the case capacity
The difference is case capacity in grains of water. Grains of water is a measure used by reloaders for just this kind of question, but it is not equivalent to grains of powder needed to load the cartridge. Translate into cubic inches or cubic centimeters in order to be able to use information you will find in a powder density chart.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Doodlebugger45

This will get you on the right track. I think the units are g/cc, so some conversion would be necessary to calculate the exact volume for 50 grains. But it shows you the relative bulk density of one powder to another. For instance, it shows that Trail Boss is the fluffiest powder EVER.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD'S.pdf
Old October 29, 2010, 11:02 AM   #7
PA-Joe

They don't do this because you reload based upon grains of powder. Each lot of powder has a slightly different density. Lee spoons are typically low by several grains.
Old October 29, 2010, 02:19 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

The Lee table give you the density of the powders so that should give you the order.

From the Nosler reloading manual which gives case "load density" (percent of case filled) for each powder load:

50.0 gr of IMR7828 = 79% (starting load)
50.0 gr of IMR 4831 = 79% (mid-range, though IMR not H)
50.5 gr of RL22 = 79%

No listing for RL25 under .25-06. Slower powders tend to be less dense so it is probably a little of 79%.

They are all pretty close to the same density.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 30, 2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Shoney

The article that lawsonron (by the way WELCOME TO TFL! ron) posted has some caveats that are way out of line, The literature makes the statements that never exceed 95% load density and never go below 80% load density.

I would point out that the Nosler Manual regularly lists accuracy loads over 100% and also lists accuracy loads under 70%. Read Gunners den with interest, but also consider the data from Nosler and other Data manuals.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 30, 2010, 10:45 AM   #10
TXGunNut

Welcome to the asylum, lawsonron!
Good points on the load density, Shoney. I consider it at times when testing a powder and in my last loading project a load with a high density performed best. I wouldn't select a powder based on density but in this case, of powders tested, it worked out. An earlier pet load also had excellent accuracy with a max load of a slightly denser powder and high density as well. There's something to this high load density thing but I don't think it should be a dominating factor in powder selection.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 30, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
amamnn

Quickload will give you an approximate load density for every powder charge you calculate using the program. It is approximate because of lot to lot variance.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm
Old November 1, 2010, 12:28 PM   #12
lawsonron

Thanks all for being patient with this newcomer to reloading.

Kind Regards
Ron