The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 1999, 03:39 PM   #1
BenDover

I just ordered a couple from Cheaper than dirt. The are not USA mags. I guess I'll find out if there worth the money! Any help will be appreciated! Steve
Old December 14, 1999, 06:59 PM   #2
10/22guy

Nope sorry. Ne mini mags you get that arent factory are almost always junk. I personally own both a mini 14/5 and mini14-k I only use factory mags. when i first bought them I purchased Non-factory mags and they were always jamming. I paid 34 bux a piece for 30 rds. I calld the ruger factory and found out that they make 30-50-and 75 rd mags for the minis I bought one of each and havent had a jam since

Shoot more, shoot more often
Old December 16, 1999, 01:46 AM   #3
GgnubrKihn

The PMI hi-cap mags are excellent although they are becoming hard to find and expensive.You periodically see their 10 rd mags for sell in SGN but have no personal experience with them. Scherer also made a hi-cap mini-14 mag and it is heat-treated steel. Supposed to be one of the best also- again no personal experience. Good luck on getting some soon.

[This message has been edited by GgnubrKihn (edited December 16, 1999).]
Old December 16, 1999, 08:55 PM   #4
Gino

The only hicap mags that I buy are the PMI mags. I have a few and all work well. They are usually pretty reasonably priced. I'll be darned if I'll pay the rediculous price for factory mags when these work just as well. As Protoolman said, PMI used to make mags for Ruger. I'd imagine they built their's on the same machinery that made Ruger's mags. How can you beat that? BTW, I get the 20 rounders. I think they are less likely to have problems (my guess) and they don't stick out of the gun so far.

I've also never see or heard of 50 or 75 round mags, Ruger or otherwise. They'd stick out a couple of feet or more
Old December 16, 1999, 11:42 PM   #5
curioustype

(maybe he meant 10/22 mags)

for the mini-14, try some thermolds,
if you can find them. They work well
for me.
Old December 17, 1999, 01:27 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

That was me protoolman! No offense taken of course.

I've been inside the Ruger factory, seen the wax molds for the Mini14, the raw castings being adjusted and stood by the Mini14 production line while they were assembled. Nowhere did they have any machinery for producing their own magazines. It's subcontracted out and Ruger merely gauges them. While they did tell me who made the Mini14 and Mini30 barrels for them, they wouldn't reveal the source of their magazines. My friend (also LEO) compared a Ruger hi-cap to a Precision and apart from the floorplate, could not discern any difference. Perhaps the newer magazines are and I'll have to recheck.

Heck, anybody ever tried that 90 round drum made by MWG? Remember when they were less than $50?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 17, 1999, 01:13 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

By all means protoolman and give Rob a call. He's never let that cat out the bag and Iike yourself, I'd like to find out too.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 17, 1999, 01:27 PM   #8
aztec777

I have shot just about every magazine out there for the Mini 14, except for the Western Metal products (I won't bother). The ONLY mags I will buy are PMI's. Never a problem and very well made. I just picked some up from the east coast for $17.95 each for 20 and 30 rounders. Don't bother asking, I bought them all. All 6 of them, that is. The only thing USA mags are good for is to make great targets at 100 yards.