The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
cchesser1990

CZ75 vs Beretta 92

Two beautiful guns in my opinion, and people seem to have favorable thoughts on both. If you could pick just one, which one would it be and why?
Old December 1, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
LockedBreech

The Beretta. Style to spare, a feeding mechanism that takes all comers when it comes to JHP shape and makes failures to eject very unlikely, an excellent SA trigger (and a decent DA trigger with a D spring), and a good heft that absorbs recoil. Fit and finish is also superb.

The CZ is also an excellent gun. Ergonomic with great accuracy, but my hands are a touch too big for it, I have a bit of trouble grabbing the small slide, and the trigger takes a while to get decent.

I think the CZ-75 will have a slight popularity edge on here, but I fully intend to own examples of both, particularly the jaw-dropping stainless variant of the 75B.

Edit: I forgot to add that with the third generation locking block design, and the recoil buffer in the A1 variants, the gun lasts tens of thousands of rounds longer now than it used to.

Last edited by LockedBreech; December 1, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
cchesser1990

I agree with the stainless 75b looking amazing. But for me honestly, the 92fs with checkered walnut grips gets me everytime
Old December 1, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
jasmith85

I would have to say the Beretta 92 as well. The CZ75 is a great gun but I find the small slide very difficult to grip.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Martowski

I own both, and both are fine weapons. But I'll take my Beretta 92fs any day over my CZ-75b. Smoother DA trigger pull, crisper SA release, shorter DA reach, and overall better "feel" in my hands makes this more accurate and enjoyable to shoot for me. But each has their own fans.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:18 PM   #6
XtremeRevolution

I've been answering the same question myself. I have yet to shoot both, but here's where I am. I am debating between the Beretta 92A1 and the CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical. Between the two, the CZ is about $20 cheaper and has tritium sights, but is hard to find. I will be getting either one online and czcustom.com is waiting on a shipment for months now.

I want my wife to be able to shoot it, and her large hands and long fingers make it easier to hold the CZ as it's slide goes inside the frame indead of outside it, leaving more of the frame exposed.

One thing I did like is the trigger on the CZ. The DA trigger is much easier to pull and the SA trigger also felt very nice. I felt that the DA trigger on the Beretta 92 was a bit heavy. Otherwise, they are basically the same. I will decide when I shoot them both side by side.

If you don't want the extras and higher end model, the CZ may be cheaper. If I remember correctly, a standard CZ is $462 from czcustom.com.

If you don't mind a bit extra weight, you should also look into the Baby Desert Eagle, which is a 2.6 pound gun in the 4.5" barrel.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; December 1, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
manta49

I have shot both my favorite is the CZ. Also on the ranges here the cz is a lot more popular than the Beretta. PS They both are great handguns its comes down to personal preference.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:05 PM   #8
bitttorrrent

I have a Baretta clone, pt-99 in s.s. and is great, but still want a CZ. I know they are similar and I held one at the store and I would say the CZ is a little narrower actual or not in my hand than my Taurus.
There are many favorable reviews for this weapon and so I think that I must have one.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:14 PM   #9
jmr40

Sig would be my 1st choice in a full size metal gun, but Beretta would be my preference between the 2. I've owned CZ's, don't care for them.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:16 PM   #10
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Sig would be my 1st choice in a full size metal gun, but Beretta would be my preference between the 2. I've owned CZ's, don't care for them.
How do the sigs compare pricewise?

What did yoi not like about the CZ?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 1, 2012, 07:19 PM   #11
chris in va

Tried a 92 after owning a CZ 75 for a while. Felt bigger, more brick-like. Seems a bit large for it's caliber and capacity. Safety is in a strange place for a modern pistol. Trigger felt more refined though.

Really the 75 is, well...almost a 40 year old design. The SP01 should be a more direct comparison.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Pilot

I picked the CZ-75B many years ago over the 92FS, for ergonomics, and accuracy. I like how low the bore axis is also. I also have the 75D PCR for carry, but I agree the SP-01 maybe a better comparison as it is an updated 75 design.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:40 AM   #13
Stringfellow

I don't think you can go wrong with either pistol.

I was shocked how slick the action and trigger on my Beretta were right out of the box (but after adding a $7 D spring). The CZ was a bit less expensive than the Beretta, but a trigger job brought the CZ and Beretta to roughly the same price, but with the trigger now in the CZ's favor.

I somehow like the CZ's all steel construction even though I will never wear out the aluminum '92 frame.

The CZ seems more dense to me, if you can imagine what I mean. It is a relatively slim, heavy pistol, and the Beretta is wider and seems a bit lighter (or at least the weight is distributed differently). For some reason, that combination makes the Beretta a smidgen lighter recoiling in my hands (still can't get my head around why that would be the case).

The CZ is more ergonomic. Its grip takes a single screw, which allows for a palmswell that just melts into your hands. If you are a Hi Power fan, you will find that it handles similar to the HP.

Both have a strange shaped tang, in that it seems to angle down ever so slightly. The Beretta's tang is more gradual, rounded, and feels good in my hands. However, I have big palms, and the CZ's tang actually digs into the web of my hand. It doesn't draw blood like a 1911 GI will for me, but just one mag becomes uncomfortable. So, I will be selling my CZ75 to buy a CZ SP01, which has an upswept beavertail tang and is very comfortable to shoot.

Handle both if you can. Shoot both if you can. Go with which one fits you and your shooting style best. Can't go wrong with your choice. Let us know how you make out!
Old December 2, 2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Hal

I did just that - picked the CZ.

The 92 felt like a bloated cow.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:24 AM   #15
warningshot

It is not the gun...it's you.

The CZ75 is a real sleeper. Great Gun. Excellent value. If you're a prepper or someone whom is isolated from the gun market after your inital purchase a CZ would be good choice.

Since either the CZ75 or the 92fs should be serviceable for the next 75 or 80 years, some think a 92fs stands a better chance at multiple future PM check-ups. The 92sf is also on many an 'approved' carry list so the demand for anyone whom might need a handgun for work would find a 92fs more versitle.

On one hand, the 92fs isn't too popular with the civillan sport pistol shooting crowd. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of U.S. Special Forces types and LEOs, whom have no other choice other than a 92fs, shoot one very well; very well indeed. Good Luck with your choice.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:36 AM   #16
sigarms228

I don't own either as SIGs are by far my choice in metal frame pistols. I have tried both and my son owns a CZ75 SP01 that I have shot quite a bit. If I had to choose between the two I would go for the Beretta 92 and most likely will purchase one some day.

However as always make every effort to try each out and then go with what works best for you. Both are fine pistols.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:47 PM   #17
dgludwig

I have both and like them equally well. To me, it's the classic case of getting the one that fits you best. However, if your hand is like mine, they will both fit you well and so your back to the same dilemma. And if that's the case, I'd opt for the cheaper one. If they're priced the same, well, that's why coins come with a head and a tail.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:37 PM   #18
ponchsox

CZ 75 is a great pistol for the money and with a Kadet .22 conversion kit it's even better.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:44 PM   #20
Walt Sherrill

RE: Beretta vs 75B

Quote:
Seems a bit large for it's caliber and capacity...
Yeah, I've had several of both, and the Beretta does SEEM larger. I would note, however, that they'll both work in the same holster, so the size difference isn't that great.

(When Fobus first started offering a holster for the 75B, years ago, they used the Beretta 92 holster... and folks who look for a duty holster for the 75B find that Beretta holsters work beautifully.)
Old December 3, 2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Coltman 77

I'll vote for the Beretta 92 FS. Bought my first one in 1989 and have purchased a few since then.

Berettas are accurate, extremely reliable, easy to shoot well, have great ergonomics and are easy to take down for cleaning.

They are great handguns by any measure.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 3, 2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Skans

CZ75. All steel. Better made. Better design. Better grip.
Old December 3, 2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Brian48

I prefer the 92fs myself.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:28 PM   #24
10mm4ever

Both are at the top of the food chain when it comes down to full size, 9mm service autos. Both designs have seen widespread use in both military and police use throughout the world and both have been copied by others many times. There's no risk of making a poor choice here. Having several of both types, I feel the CZ is the better target pistol, while the Beretta has the edge in reliability, making it the better combat auto. However, CZ's are still very reliable and conversely Berettas are accurate.

Last edited by 10mm4ever; December 3, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:06 PM   #25
Pico

Flip a coin

I owned a CZ-75BD and sold it. I have shot the Beretta extensively and now own a Taurus PT-92 (which I personally prefer to the Beretta mainly due to the safety). Both guns are awesome, shoot straight, and are as reliable as the devil. The Beretta / PT-92 design fits my large hands a wee bit better and the all steel CZ seems to transmit more recoil back to the fingers. When I bought my CZ it was only $340 and if that was still the case it would be no contest. Now at more similar retail prices, I say go Beretta for a better combination of quality, feel, potential resale, and in general it just looks cooler. But as said before either one will make you very happy.

Pico