The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 18, 2012, 01:26 PM   #1
GlennW

Smith and Wesson

I have a Smith and Wesson revolver that was contracted with Belgium with the last patent date as 1914, and it's serial # is 465648. I have taken it to several gunsmiths and gun enthusiasts, but none of them have been able to tell me anything about the gun. I just wanted to know a little bit about its history and what it is worth, and if anyone could help me find out anything about it. Thank you!
Old March 18, 2012, 02:06 PM   #2
CPO15

Try posting your question here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php
Old March 18, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3
laytonj1

Quote:
serial # is 465648
S&W used to reuse the same SN's on various models.
As such, additional information such as the exact chambering (stamped on the side of the barrel), number of rounds it holds and if it's a modern swing out cylinder revolver is needed.

Jim
Old March 18, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Glenn, you need to post both a comprehensive description of your gun as well as some clear pictures.

Include the caliber if you know it, the type of action, how you load it, and how many shots it holds.

Smith & Wesson never contracted manufacture of firearms out. In several instances they did issue manufacturing licenses to foreign firms, primarily to Czarist Russia and Ludwig Lowe of Germany to manufacture Russian model revolvers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 18, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"if it's a modern swing out cylinder revolver is needed."

If it was truly made by S&W, and not just another maker's gun chambering an S&W round, that number can't be accurate if it's a had ejector.

S&W didn't hit the 400K mark on any hand ejector until the late 1920s or early 1930s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Tags
revolver , smith and wesson