The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
jells

Plated bullet loading data

I want to try out X-Treme plated bullets, 9mm Lugar, 124gr, FP. I can't find accurate loading data in the Hodgdon data center for any of their powders. How would you load these rounds or can you tell me where to look?

Thanks
John

Last edited by jells; October 26, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:24 PM   #2
g.willikers

You can use cast lead bullet reloading data for plated bullets.
Like always, work up to max loads and continually check for signs of excessive pressure.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:34 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

I would test at 5.4g Power Pistol or Ramshot Silhouette.
I would use an OAL of 1.145".
Old October 30, 2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Rangefinder

it's in Lee's Modern reloading 2nd edition. Pg. 534. What powders do you have to work with?

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 30, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
jbrown13

Here is a link to some data from the Rainier site. Unfortunately it is only for Accurate powders.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/old...curatearms.htm
Old November 1, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Wrangler5

Here is a (slightly edited) post I made on another forum earlier this month:

Quote:
Had a strange experience today. I loaded up some 38 Specials with Rainier 125g RNFP plated bullets and Clays powder. Based on the data sheet downloaded recently from Hodgdon's web site, for "125gr Cast LRNFP" I loaded rounds at 2.5, 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4g of powder, 2.5 being the starting load and 3.5 given as the max.

The first shot of the 2.5g loads was a squib - bullet stuck about half way down the barrel of my 7.5 inch Single Action Army. Well I was SURE I had powder in all of the cases (I charged all of these rounds with a Redding bench mounted measure and looked into the cases as they sat in the loading block before putting the bullet in.) But, on the chance I had in fact missed a case I fired another one (after driving the stuck bullet out with a brass rod.) Squib, again.

I gave up on the 2.5g load as a bad job, and went to the 2.8g loads. First one - squib. Drive the bullet out and give up on the 2.8s as well.

The 3.1 and 3.4g loads all pushed the bullet out the barrel, but not very fast. The Hodgdon data sheet says 3.5g of Clays should push a 125g lead bullet to 978fps, but in my gun 3.4g only clocked 717fps (average for 10 shots.)

When I got home I pulled the bullets from all of the unfired 2.5 and 2.8g loads. All were charged, and the several that I measured from each load were right on the money.

Rainier says to use lead bullet loading data for their bullets. I've never experienced this situation before, with Rainier or any other bullet - the starting load would ALWAYS at least push the bullet out the barrel.
You may not have these issues with 9mm. The 38 Special case is huge compared to the volume of the powder charges I was using, while most charges you will be using will fill a large portion of a 9mm case. Just be attentive as you shoot, until you are sure your charge is pushing the bullet out the barrel. And have a range rod, just in case.
Old November 2, 2010, 02:22 PM   #7
jells

Wow, that was a strange day.
I looked on X-Treme bullets web and I did not find a place to ask questions. I did look at the site recommended by jbrown13 and plan to use this for now. Tomorrow or Thursday I'll go and check with Space Coast Bullets, they sell X-Treme and may have some data.
I appreciate all the help and advice. I like th idea of plated vs. lead or FMJ but I guess the old time power boys think this is a passing phase.
John
Old November 3, 2010, 08:43 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

just like every other bullet

Just as all lead or jacketed bullets are not created equal, so goes the various plated choices.

I mean, Speer Gold Dots are plated, ay?
Old November 3, 2010, 10:52 AM   #9
chiefr

I have asked this question before and get the same answer to follow cast bullet data. IMHO:Plated bullets are a relatively new phenonema concocted to counter the anti-lead crowd. I too hope more data would soon be available for these new bullets.
Old November 3, 2010, 10:56 AM   #10
oneounceload

Berry's will tell you to use low to mid-range jacketed data and not exceed 1200. I have used X-treme, (back when they were called Western NV West Coast Bullet), and found their bullets to perform well with mid-level loads - I never felt the need to load anything at max or hotter.
Old November 3, 2010, 03:14 PM   #11
BigJimP

My experience with X-treme and Rainier ballistics plated bullets - is they have pretty thin coatings on them compared to Berry's / with Berry's being fairly thick.

+1 on OneOunces recommendation on keeping them under 1200 fps / when I run plated bullets in 9mm I keep them down around 1075 - 1100 fps ....and personally, I like Hodgdon TiteGroup for 9mm ( and all my handgun ammo ).