The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
IraqVet26

Reloading question

I reload alot of 30-06 and 270 and 44 mag. I reloaded some 300 win mag for a buddy of mine and they were a little tight. My question is: Do you run the full lenght sizer die all the way down to the shell holder on a belted magnum? And could that make a rifle chamber the round tighter than normal?
Thanks alot
Ruger Redhawk (for looking cool)
Old November 1, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2
mehavey

"Belted" cases headspace on the shoulder exactly the same as non-belted cartridges. They therefore need to be fully sized (or at least sized to fit the specific chamber they will be fired in) the same way as a rimless case.
Old November 1, 2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Shoney

IraqVet26

WELCOME TO TFL!

Did you fit the sized case only into the chamber of your friends weapon? Does this result in a tight fit?

Did you measure the case length? Long cases will cause the bullet and case to wedge against the chambers mouth and, if short enough will chamber very tightly. If the case is too long, the bolt will not close.

Did you apply a crimp to the cartridge? It seems that new reloaders have a need to apply a "good crimp" especially to magnum rounds, (myself included) which results in compressing the bullet into the case and causing an expansion outward of the case/shoulder junction, and that causes the cartridge to be tight to impossible to chamber.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 2, 2010, 04:26 PM   #4
PA-Joe

The question is how did you set up your resizing die? Was it touching the shellholder? If you do this it may bump the should back too far but the case should chamber ok. Did you check for the correct COL for your chamber? Too long a COL will cause a tight chamber fit.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:56 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
"Belted" cases headspace on the shoulder exactly the same as non-belted cartridges.
That depends on the type of firearm, and cartridge in question. Some headspace on the belt. Some headspace on the shoulder.

This is the reloading forum. Speaking in generalities gets less knowledgeable people into trouble.

IraqVet26, did you crimp any of those cartridges?
Old November 2, 2010, 05:02 PM   #6
mehavey

Quote:
Quote:
"Belted" cases headspace on the shoulder exactly the same as non-belted cartridges."
That depends on the type of firearm, and cartridge in question. Some headspace on the belt. Some headspace on the shoulder.
Good put.

That said....

"The only rifle cartridges that ever actually required a belt are the .300 H&H Magnum and the .375 H&H Magnum. Because of their extremely shallow shoulder angle, these two calibers actually need a belt to prevent the case from being pushed forward. ...In the decades that followed, the belt was added to over 20 different calibers purely for marketing reasons. Firearm manufacturers figured that if any new magnum caliber didn't have a belt (like the H&H cases) it would never sell. In fact . . . . if these 2 calibers weren't such incredible performers (in the early days) there wouldn't be ANY magnum calibers using a belt today.
Old November 2, 2010, 05:25 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

458 WM and 450 Marlin would have real trouble with headspacing on the shoulder
Old November 2, 2010, 08:50 PM   #8
GeauxTide

Belted cartridges do NOT headspace on the shoulder - they headspace on the belt. Unless the case is fired in a different rifle, put a nickel between your shell holder and the bottom of the sizing die so you don't move the shoulder back. Magnum cases are more sensitive to head separation from over sizing.
Old November 3, 2010, 11:48 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
Belted cartridges do NOT head space on the shoulder - they head space on the belt. Unless the case is fired in a different rifle, put a nickel between your shell holder and the bottom of the sizing die so you don't move the shoulder back. Magnum cases are more sensitive to head separation from over sizing.
Belted and bottle-necked cartridges only should head space on the belt for the first firing. After that, especially in bolt actions, they then should be head spaced on the shoulder (as in neck sizing),as with 30-06, .270, etc. Continuing to set the shoulder back to enable head spacing on the belt will result in early head separation and usually less accurate hand loads...if that is what you trying to say.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:08 PM   #10
mehavey

Quote:
Continuing to set the shoulder back to enable head spacing on the belt will result in early head separation....
mega +1's