The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 31, 2007, 10:35 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I too have wondered why the barrels are so long on springer guns. Seems to me the better setup for a barrel cocker would be a fairly short barrel 12-14" with a longer shroud for cocking.
Some of the more compact springers have barrels that are comically short--the Webley Vulcan is one example.

I have seen the result of a barrel shortening test on a springer--it keeps getting faster and faster as the barrel gets shorter. I can't remember the point (if there was one) where the trend reversed. I'll do some reading if I get a chance and see if I can find the test.
Old April 2, 2007, 11:58 PM   #27
xboxd83

so a longer barrel would work better with a co2 gun why dont they use compressed air i use it in my paintball gun and it way more consistent
Old April 20, 2007, 04:37 PM   #28
TNBulldog

Rws

I've got an old RWS I still like to shoot a lot. What ranges are you guys hitting from? I can't ever figure the drop on this thing very well. I got it when I was young, and haven't dialed it in in quite some time.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:48 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

When dealing with "conventional airguns and pellets" the drop becomes very pronounced out around 50 yards (the exact distance depends on the particular airgun & pellet, but when you get past 50 yards, they all start to fade pretty fast). Just a couple of feet of ranging error past that distance will guarantee a miss on the small targets usually considered appropriate for airguns.

It's not an accuracy issue, it's being able to range the target accurately enough to figure the drop. Then there's the wind. A typical "diabolo" style pellet is not at all wind resistant...
Old April 21, 2007, 10:59 AM   #30
FirstFreedom

Quote:
i only shoot cat because i truly do hate them for one im really alergic to them
I don't give a fat flying flip whether you hate them or you drop dead instantly in their presence. Read what I said again. Be ethical and use a .22 long rifle firearm, or trap them, or leave them alone. A pellet gun is not an ethical way to dispatch a cat. And start using PUNCTUATION and CAPITALIZATION on this forum. It is required...go read the terms and conditions of being a member.